Leaked recording Runnell's court of love

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Leaked recording Runnell's court of love

Post by _SteelHead »

Don't care enough to watch it myself, but some of you here might

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXTLdzD7Sg
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Leaked recording Runnell's court of love

Post by _honorentheos »

That was bizarre. Starting around minute 17:50 through around 21:50 you could get all one needs to hear. Prior to that, the stake president reads off quotes from Runnell's CES letter and Mormon Stories interview. At 17:50 he starts to share the purpose of the meeting, giving a partial definition of apostacy, bears his testimony and then asks Runnell's to provide a statement. Jeremy gets rebuffed multiple times for asking questions about what exactly in the CES letter is wrong, being told there will be no debate and no questions discussed. Around 21:30 he sums it up by saying, "This is crazy." after being told again, "Jeremy, provide a statement."

Insane. It's amazing that it was recorded and it's clear, VERY CLEAR, that those present have no idea and do not want to deal with the actual issues. When Runnells asks how many present had read the church essays, none had. When asked how many had read the CES letter, only the SP had. When asked if Salt Lake was involved, there was no answer. "I don't know how to repent of the truth." Wow.

Runnells is exactly right. That was crazy.

ETA: I really think this may be one of the more powerful statements against the Church I've heard. It's almost literally like scripture where Christ is described as confronting the corrupt leaders of Judaism and is met with silence. Just crazy.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

I can't help but think that those in the room were "instructed" to not engage or respond to any of Runnells' questions, because I'd be surprised that there was no one there who hadn't read the CES letter.

ETA: In all the other disciplinary councils of which I am aware, the HC members were allowed to ask questions of the accused. That didn't happen here.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I get the feeling they were instructed to be silent knowing Jeremy would try and record it. Unfortunately their silence made them look worse. By not responding, Jeremy controlled the narrative which was the church was not answering his questions and moving forward with a kangaroo court. The church's PR is a disaster and gets destroyed by amateurs.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Sanctorian wrote:I get the feeling they were instructed to be silent knowing Jeremy would try and record it. Unfortunately their silence made them look worse. By not responding, Jeremy controlled the narrative which was the church was not answering his questions and moving forward with a kangaroo court. The church's PR is a disaster and gets destroyed by amateurs.
Probably true. If they suspected that it would be recorded they couldn't have played it worse.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Impressions from a Never.

My God that was painful to watch and listen to. I don't know anything at all about Mr. Runnells, but I can tell what took place. The SP (assuming that was an SP) should be rightly embarrassed of himself. He bears his testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and never once displays Christ-like traits in his conduct. How unloving, how unkind, how lacking in a love of truth and love for his fellow member. The Christ portrayed in the New Testament never failed to respond to questions asked of him by his followers.

What a horrible display of indifference to not only his fellow member but the very Christ he claims to follow.

I've never seen anything like this in my life. As I watched, I kept wishing that Mr. Runnells would do a certain thing and much to my surprise, he DID it. He excommunicated THEM.

Did I hear him say "this is damned Book of Abraham"?

Thank you for posting this. Thank you to whomever recorded it. What an eye-opener to a Never like me. The church should be embarrassed and ashamed by such a procedure as this.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Why does the Church refer to the meeting as a "hearing" when it's clear they have no intention of 'hearing' anything?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

I have a question wrote:Why does the Church refer to the meeting as a "hearing" when it's clear they have no intention of 'hearing' anything?

It's for the accused to hear the word of the Lord as spoken through His servants.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I'd never heard Runnells' voice before. He clearly has the voice of someone with profound hearing loss, which certainly makes his request for an interpreter seem more reasonable.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Not finished with it so far, but so far the best part of this whole thing is that his own Stake President is reciting verbatim some of the juiciest parts of the CES letter, and sounding like a robot doing so. ROFLMAO.

Well done.

Runnells: "Assphincter says what?"

Stake President: "what?"

[not a real quote...]

ETA: I've now finished it. That was pretty good stuff overall. The 2nd best part, after the stake president reading Jeremy's claims out loud, was Jeremy quoting from George A. Smith and others about how truth shouldn't fear free expression, that if the church has the true, it cannot be harmed, if it hasn't got the truth then it should be harmed, etc. It really showed the core of what was wrong with that whole proceeding.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen