Des News - Ditch your non Mormon husband and find happiness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Des News - Ditch your non Mormon husband and find happiness

Post by _I have a question »

Thunell was raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but in 2008, during her last semester of high school, she stopped attending church.

"I set God on a shelf and my testimony on a shelf, and I went after a happiness and fulfillment that I thought the world would give," she said.

In 2011, Thunell learned she was pregnant. Two months before her son was born, she married the father of her child and continued her life outside the LDS Church.

However, on Sept. 23, 2011, Thunell looked into the eyes of her newborn son, Rafe Henry Brown, and felt a peace she hadn't experienced in years.

"I recognized that the unconditional love that I was feeling for my son — this little creature that had lived in me for 10 months that I was delivering into the world — that that was the same love that our Heavenly Father has for us," Thunell said.

Thunell then recalled a lesson her father taught her when she was a child, "Jesus Christ is the way to eternal life." Overcome with emotion, she recognized that she needed to make changes if she wanted to live with her son forever.

Making the journey back

After four years of inactivity, Thunell wanted to return to her faith.

"I just started with little principles. … I started paying tithing and seeing the blessings that came from it there,” Thunell said. “I started attending church regularly. I read the Book of Mormon as well, and everything came back. I realized that this gospel is true, and I wasn’t willing to sacrifice any more of my time outside of it."

In November 2011, Thunell separated from her husband and began raising her son on her own. She attended church weekly, met with her bishop and received a temple recommend.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... ether.html

Left the Church, sinned and got pregnant, came back to Church, ditched husband, happy ever after with BYU student. Because God.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Re: Des News - Ditch your non Mormon husband and find happin

Post by _Sethbag »

"Family first", for some definition of family that really means "church."
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Especially since she was only married for 4 months. That's quite an epiphany she had.

Of course, the dates may not be accurate. The story comes from a woman who thinks she was pregnant for 10 months.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Lemmie wrote:Especially since she was only married for 4 months. That's quite an epiphany she had.

Of course, the dates may not be accurate. The story comes from a woman who thinks she was pregnant for 10 months.

It's up for debate, but she's not wrong. Pregnancy technically lasts about 40 weeks in humans...so, about 10 months. :ugeek: :razz: :lol:
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

Sounds to me like her husband dodged a bullet.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

just me wrote:
Lemmie wrote:Especially since she was only married for 4 months. That's quite an epiphany she had.

It's up for debate, but she's not wrong. Pregnancy technically lasts about 40 weeks in humans...so, about 10 months. :ugeek: :razz: :lol:

True, true... I was using the public policy definition of 4.3 weeks for a month ((365/12)/7=4.3, one decimal place), which would put her 10 month pregnancy at 43.3 weeks. Even if we calculated her pregnancy using the 10 shortest months it's still 43.29 weeks ((365-62)/7).

Studies I've looked at put mean pregnancy length at 268 days, with a standard deviation of 9 days; 99.7% of pregnancies end at or before 268 + 27 = 295 days.

That's why I'm having a hard time with her math! 303 days pregnant would put her pregnancy length in the far end of the longest 1/3rd of 1 percent of pregnancies.

Not arguing with the emotion behind the statement, however, it can certainly feel like 10 months.