Do you believe in soulmates?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Do you believe in soulmates?

Post by _honorentheos »

Highly recommend you read this, MetalSlasher -

Jonathan Haidt's Happiness Hypothesis Chp 6 - Love and Attachments
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Post by _MetalSlasher »

honorentheos wrote:Highly recommend you read this, MetalSlasher -

Jonathan Haidt's Happiness Hypothesis Chp 6 - Love and Attachments

Thanks I'll check it out!
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

No.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Buncha unromantic folks on this board.

Or realists?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

MetalSlasher wrote:. . . or do you think there's multiple people we could make a wonderful marriage and life work, and we just happen to find one of those people?

. . . or we just happen to NOT find one of those people.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Post by _MetalSlasher »

Dr. Shades wrote:
MetalSlasher wrote:. . . or do you think there's multiple people we could make a wonderful marriage and life work, and we just happen to find one of those people?

. . . or we just happen to NOT find one of those people.

That's an option too though a sad one.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

I revert to Paul Harvey many times in my life when it comes to "soulmates." He once said on his radio program when I was still a "young whippersnapper" :biggrin: of how easy/ier it is for average minded people to attract other average minded people in mating.

Most people fall into the middle IQ range. Their pool is the easiest and the largest selection pool to find suitable life partners with which they'll be compatible.

On the other hand, those who fall into the above average IQ pool, or below average IQ pool, have a markedly lesser chance of finding happiness. That's because their choices have narrowed as there are fewer by far who are above average or below average in their intelligence. As Paul Harvey said, the "touch and go tends to be more go than touch," even when both partners are high IQ. Higher IQ people also have a harder time staying in relationships, let alone finding suitable mates to go the distance.

We tend to attract those who are like minded, in other words. So if you're fortunate to be a high IQ person, but unfortunate in love, that may be because there are just fewer people around who are going to be equally yoked to you. And vice verse. If you're in the middle as in average range, take heart. Your chances go way up and you should have no problem finding a mate you'll be happy with.
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Post by _MetalSlasher »

AmyJo wrote:I revert to Paul Harvey many times in my life when it comes to "soulmates." He once said on his radio program when I was still a "young whippersnapper" :biggrin: of how easy/ier it is for average minded people to attract other average minded people in mating.

Most people fall into the middle IQ range. Their pool is the easiest and the largest selection pool to find suitable life partners with which they'll be compatible.

On the other hand, those who fall into the above average IQ pool, or below average IQ pool, have a markedly lesser chance of finding happiness. That's because their choices have narrowed as there are fewer by far who are above average or below average in their intelligence. As Paul Harvey said, the "touch and go tends to be more go than touch," even when both partners are high IQ. Higher IQ people also have a harder time staying in relationships, let alone finding suitable mates to go the distance.

We tend to attract those who are like minded, in other words. So if you're fortunate to be a high IQ person, but unfortunate in love, that may be because there are just fewer people around who are going to be equally yoked to you. And vice verse. If you're in the middle as in average range, take heart. Your chances go way up and you should have no problem finding a mate you'll be happy with.

I consider myself middle range IQ. I would never consider myself high IQ unless we're talking about knowing basketball trivia.
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

No, I don't believe in soulmates. But I'm happily married.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaid72fqzNE
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I think that there are a variety of people that any of us could be happy with. However, I think that there is a special "something" that can happen between 2 people that is just difficult to explain. My boyfriend and I have that, and I have thanked God many times for him being in my life. Our meeting was so random. We have been seriously dating since my divorce. We became serious fairly quickly, and we just "click" in every way possible. We are incredibly good for each other emotionally, sexually, and just being a positive influence on each other's lives in general. He truly is a blessing in my life, and he feels that I am a blessing in his.

Jersey Girl wrote:Buncha unromantic folks on this board.

I'm still a romantic, Jersey Girl. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB