Calling Thayne, Can I Help With NOM?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Red Ryder
_Emeritus

Re: Calling Thayne, Can I Help With NOM?

Post by _Red Ryder »

So much good stuff over the years! The Halloween unmasking will be missed this year too. We still get together and talk about the beer 101 thread. I'll see if anyone saved a copy.

Maybe we need to offer Thayne money. I've heard you can buy anything with money.
_Red Ryder
_Emeritus

Post by _Red Ryder »

Does anyone know how to get in touch with fh451? He was doing the administrator stuff when NOM went down.

At this point the conspiracy theorists have hypothesized that the board went down and the content sold to Oprah so that she could executive produce a Lifetime tv channel series that will rival The Path. Casting has been delayed while an extended search of the Netherlands is underway for a Meilinkie look alike.
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

Red Ryder wrote:Does anyone know how to get in touch with fh451? He was doing the administrator stuff when NOM went down.

I used to have lunch with fh451 frequently but, as with most of my other real life NOM friends, we communicated through PMs on NOM.

Have you had any more discussion with Corsair about starting up NOM 2.0? I PMed both of you but got double crickets.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_alas
_Emeritus

Post by _alas »

You guys are making me cry. I miss my NOMies. I was actually thinking of putting up a real picture for the Halloween unmasking this year.

The people I have real life contact information on are of no use. Let me check with River Morgan to see if she is Facebook friends thigh fh451. I know she is Facebook friends with several people from NOM. But fh451 was limited in what he could access.

If Thayne could just give us the passwords for owner access to then someone with computer skills could take over ownership.
_StarbucksMom
_Emeritus

Post by _StarbucksMom »

Madison54 wrote:
StarbucksMom wrote:I can't believe the Wendy Watson Nelson sex thread is gone. It is truly tragic.

You may be saying that in gist, but I do believe there's something there (Wendy Watson and Sheri Dew).... :smile:
I am totally serious about the Wendy Nelson thread. Here is an exerpt from Mormon Curtain that explains it better, w/ a link to the article/talk where she tells you to have Godly sex (it involves scriptures) vs. worldly sex (it involves lust and being erotic). The best part? She wrote this before she had ever been married.
However, such is not the case. His remarks come almost directly from a paper advanced by his new bride, Wendy L. Watson, Ph.D. In a 2001 BYU Sponsored Families under Fire Conference, Dr. Watson delivered a speech entitled: “A Synopsis of God Ordained Marital Intimacy versus Worldly Sex (http://ce.byu.edu/cw/fuf/archives/2001/WatsonWendy.pdf) in which she compared by using columns her characteristics of “God Ordained Marital Intimacy” and “Worldly Sex.” Under each column she brief compared the differences. The short three page synopsis is very telling of her distorted view of sex (a term she abandons for “marital intimacy). Under the God Ordained Marital Intimacy column she lists “eternal” under “Worldly Sex” she lists “erotic”; “exquisite care taken that activities do not to offend the Spirit” versus “if it turns you on, go for it;” “sacred language used” versus “foul language used” This list goes on.

All this from someone who has never been married and presumably has no first hand experience with sexual relations; plagiarized by an apostle and taught as Christ’s doctrine. No wonder, Mormons have sexual hang ups!
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

Thayne once told me that he would never share administrator control with anyone else because he wanted to maintain ultimate control of the time and fate of the board.

For a while Thayne was talking about findimg someone to take a bigger role but no one took the bait. The problem was that he didn't announce it very broadly, nor did he communicate that NOM's days were numbered. I'm wishing I had tried to get more involved at the time.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

I was just a reader of NOM, not a member. But I enjoyed the forum very much.

I think it's a lousy, passive-aggressive dick move to end the forum without any kind of notice, and for Thayne's refusal to communicate with those who are trying to contact him about it.

The forum software is free. It's the hosting that costs money. I don't know how many hits NOM received every month, but the hosting can get expensive if there are over a half-million hits per month. NOM could have exceeded that and Thayne got tired of paying the monthly bill.

Nevertheless, he shouldn't have let everyone down the way he did without notice. He should have allowed the forum members the opportunity to take it over.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Probably the next best action would be to create a forum that's FREE with unlimited hit counts, 100% hosting support, similar forum software to the old NOM board, unique to the identity and mission of NOM, and indefinitely sustainable.

Something like:

https://proboards.com
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

Red Ryder wrote:It sounds like a new board would have a following.

I'd be interested in doing something along the lines of:

Emotional support
Intellectual discussion
Effective communication - a forum to learn and discuss healthy and better ways to communicate with spouses, families, and bar tenders.
Parenting support
What's next, new, and interesting - a forum to discuss interests that replace the time suck of Mormonism.
Gatherings

NOMIsh by nature but with the intent of graduating posters in under 3,000 posts!

I'll hit up Corsair and see if he's up to becoming an advisor or at a minimum help set up chairs. I don't think he's interested in becoming a prophet, seer, or administrator.

Red Ryder, I PMed you and Corsair about this a couple of days ago but haven't had a response from either. Please get back to me.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Madison54 wrote:
The only other person I can think of to contact was the poster named "Froggie".

Froggie is a member here on MDB, though not actively posting right now. I checked her profile and there is no email address. You could still send a PM and let me try something else for you, but it might take longer than you'd like.

Will let you know.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb