Quiet Withdrawal antiGay policy from LDS church manual ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Quiet Withdrawal antiGay policy from LDS church manual ...

Post by _AmyJo »

Quiet Removal of antiGay policy from LDS church manual ...

Was spoken of in the question and answers this morning from the exMormon conference in SLC.

Word has it that church headquarters is quietly removing it from the bishops manual the way it came, discreetly (nothing is discreet in this day of the Information Age.)

Is it hoping that things will revert to the way it was before the floodgate was opened? That people will "return to their senses" and start tithing again?

I don't believe it's going to fix anything but the PR debacle it created in the first place. Cents wise and pounds foolish, it's too little too late after the bloodletting.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Quiet Withdrawal antiGay policy from LDS church manual .

Post by _I have a question »

Nelson removed the opportunity for that when he said...

"Each of us during that sacred moment felt a spiritual confirmation," Nelson, next in line for the Mormon presidency, told the faith's young adults in the first official explanation of the hotly debated policy's origins. "It was our privilege as apostles to sustain what had been revealed to President Monson."

Nelson explained that revelation from the Lord to his servants is a sacred process.

"The [three-member] First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles counsel together and share all the Lord has directed us to understand and to feel, individually and collectively," he said. "And then, we watch the Lord move upon the president of the church to proclaim the Lord's will."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3391057-155/ ... e-from-god
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

I have a question wrote:Nelson removed the opportunity for that when he said...

"Each of us during that sacred moment felt a spiritual confirmation," Nelson, next in line for the Mormon presidency, told the faith's young adults in the first official explanation of the hotly debated policy's origins. "It was our privilege as apostles to sustain what had been revealed to President Monson."

Nelson explained that revelation from the Lord to his servants is a sacred process.

"The [three-member] First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles counsel together and share all the Lord has directed us to understand and to feel, individually and collectively," he said. "And then, we watch the Lord move upon the president of the church to proclaim the Lord's will."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3391057-155/ ... e-from-god

Wasn't that just Nelson's "Limited Understanding"? I get from MG's recent use of the McConkie quote trying to explain the pre-1978 black ban after it had been changed that LDS "revelation" = tomorrow's "limited understanding". Sure, with PSR Nelson's declaration that that LDS codification of its anti-gay screeds was 'revelation', this would be quick turn around time to go from declaration of revelation to the trash heap of limited understandings--but keep in mind, it only took them 28 years to go from "direct commandment from the Lord" (1949) to the "limited understanding" refuse bin in 1978 with respect to the black ban.

Yesterday's "revelations" from LDS god are just today's "limited understandings" and those men's misinterpreting LDS god's tea leaves.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Unlike the Christian God, the LDS one is certainly not the same yesterday, today and forever.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

AmyJo wrote:Word has it that church headquarters is quietly removing it from the bishops manual the way it came, discreetly (nothing is discreet in this day of the Information Age.)

Do you have a source for this or is it just wishful thinking? I would love to hear this is really going to happen!

(However, I doubt this could ever be done "quietly" or "discreetly". Not with the attention the policy received.)
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Madison54 wrote:
AmyJo wrote:Word has it that church headquarters is quietly removing it from the bishops manual the way it came, discreetly (nothing is discreet in this day of the Information Age.)

Do you have a source for this or is it just wishful thinking? I would love to hear this is really going to happen!

(However, I doubt this could ever be done "quietly" or "discreetly". Not with the attention the policy received.)

It was mentioned in the Q&A session this morning at the exMormon conference. I heard it on the livestream feed via YouTube. It will be made available for rebroadcast, so look for that online when it is.

It was mentioned only briefly. But in a nutshell, what was spoken is a consensus among those in attendance at the conference this past weekend, that the church is rescinding its policy via the manual church instructions. They are doing it "quietly" so as not to draw attention. But nothing done now will be quiet about it, since it's already public knowledge.

To rescind their antiGay policy is what it amounts to, by removing it from church instructions in the church manual. It means that things will go back the way they were before. Or else the church will make its internal pronouncements more impossible to crack, like a secret code or something. Who really knows?

The church has lost so many thousands of members, old and young, since last fall that this is them just back peddling to try and repair some of the damage it's done as the result of its own fallout. That's my takeaway on this anyway.
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

AmyJo wrote:
To rescind their antiGay policy is what it amounts to, by removing it from church instructions in the church manual. It means that things will go back the way they were before.

They may hope for that. However, some of us have lost dear gay friends to suicide in recent months, and things will never return to the way they were before.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

AmyJo wrote:It was mentioned in the Q&A session this morning at the exMormon conference. I heard it on the livestream feed via YouTube. It will be made available for rebroadcast, so look for that online when it is.

It was mentioned only briefly. But in a nutshell, what was spoken is a consensus among those in attendance at the conference this past weekend, that the church is rescinding its policy via the manual church instructions. They are doing it "quietly" so as not to draw attention. But nothing done now will be quiet about it, since it's already public knowledge.

To rescind their antiGay policy is what it amounts to, by removing it from church instructions in the church manual. It means that things will go back the way they were before. Or else the church will make its internal pronouncements more impossible to crack, like a secret code or something. Who really knows?

The church has lost so many thousands of members, old and young, since last fall that this is them just back peddling to try and repair some of the damage it's done as the result of its own fallout. That's my takeaway on this anyway.

Thanks for the information AmyJo!

I agree and I really do hope this horribly conceived policy is removed and rescinded. I do think the damage has been done for many members even if it is withdrawn, but will the leaders learn anything from it? I doubt it!

Any mention of the recent leaks (documents and videos)?

I have to believe the leaders are very nervous and no longer know who they can trust.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Madison54 wrote:Thanks for the information AmyJo!

I agree and I really do hope this horribly conceived policy is removed and rescinded. I do think the damage has been done for many members even if it is withdrawn, but will the leaders learn anything from it? I doubt it!

I have to believe the leaders are very nervous and no longer know who they can trust.

Thanks also, Amyjo. Any other observations? It would be interesting to hear how it went if you would like to or have time to share your impressions!
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Lemmie wrote:
Madison54 wrote:Thanks for the information AmyJo!

Thanks also, Amyjo. Any other observations? It would be interesting to hear how it went if you would like to or have time to share your impressions!

I only listened to two talks. One by Mark Giles, and the second by Max Zimmer, and a cartoonist for the Salt Lake Tribune, Pat Bagley. Zimmer was promoting his books on growing up Mormon, and his subsequent split from his faith. Bagley was promoting his cartoon artwork which is alot of political commentary to do w/Mormonism and other current issues. Other talk by Giles was to do with "managing the transition from Mormonism." I missed the talks by Jeremy Runnells and the Zelph on the Shelf trio (cute group of Millenials.)

It was an okay presentation, but not one I'd want to go out of my way to attend. I'm glad can catch it on YouTube livestream though.

I didn't try to watch General Conference, but made time for this yesterday and today. Maybe it says something about my priorities? :wink: