Is the Open Stories Foundation in meltdown mode?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Is the Open Stories Foundation in meltdown mode?

Post by _cwald »

Been quite a bit of scuffle over there this week. Here is an post that Kate Kelly posted on Dehlin's wall, that she reposted on her own Facebook after John blocked her. It's 345 comments of bickering about Dehlin's sexism, non profit status etc. It's a tough read. I guess it's made quite a day over at Reddit as well, and there was over 700 comments on Dehlins' Facebook page.

DAMU celebs like Bill Reel, Natasha Helfer Parker, Lindsay Hansen Park, Carol Lynn Pearson etc are all weighing in.

I'm surprised Rosebud or Mayan Elephant haven't jumped all this. It kind of sounds like Kate Kelly is validating some of their previous arguments?

Kate Kelly wrote: I AM SICK & TIRED OF WOMEN DOING WORK FOR FREE. Especially Mormon women. We are expected to do everything for the "good of the cause" and to expect no compensation for our time and talent. I just talked to Kristy Money who does an amazing podcast called Mormon Transitions as part of Mormon Stories AND SHE DOESN'T MAKE A SINGLE CENT.

This is unacceptable. John Parkinson Dehlin if I want to specifically donate to Kristy Money or Gina Colvin's podcasts & not to Mormon Stories generally, how do I do that? If there isn't a way, there needs to be a way.

Lindsay Hansen Park and so many others do podcasts & work that cost so much time & they make pennies on the dollar to men.
And, no one better argue that they are less talented or get less downloads or I am SERIOUSLY GOING TO LOSE IT.

https://www.Facebook.com/katekellyesq?fref=ts
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_toon
_Emeritus

Re: Is the Open Stories Foundation in meltdown mode?

Post by _toon »

Has it all been deleted? I can't find the post or comments.

Dehlin posted a response on his feed today, apologizing for his initial rash response and explaining the compensation decisions re Open Stories Foundation.

The impression I get is that Kate Kelly has lost it.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

toon wrote:Has it all been deleted? I can't find the post or comments.

Dehlin posted a response on his feed today, apologizing for his initial rash response and explaining the compensation decisions re Open Stories Foundation.

The impression I get is that Kate Kelly has lost it.

It looks like it has been deleted from Dehlin's Facebook, but there is still a thread on Kate Kelly's.

Kate Kelly's initial post and many of her comments, and many comments from others, were quite shocking to me. Does not look good for Open Stories Foundation if there is this much dissent and conflict within the DAMU elite.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

cwald wrote: after John blocked her.

cwald wrote: it has been deleted from Dehlin's Facebook

ain't that something, cwald?

the only thing more consistent than those two laws, is the law that says "must say any woman that dissents from OST is batshit effin crazy."

this was inevitable. is the kate kelly podcast still up at Mormon stories?
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kate Kelly is totally not a nutjob. Totally.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

I just went to kate's Facebook homepage and saw a drawing of women on her homepage. One woman was wearing a hijab that covered her face very tightly. Does kate know the history of the hijab and what it says about women in the koran? Or why they must wear the hijab? Many muslim feminists are quite upset with western feminists for not speaking out about women and their plight in muslim societies. Here is one book by a muslim feminist who writes about her struggle with the hijab:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1849 ... and-hymens

The author of the above book has given many lectures and speeches and many are found on youtube.

Of course one could also pinpoint other religions too. But kate seems to miss the point and focuses on christianity and Mormonism.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

I am no fan of OW or of Kate. Just super happy that now that she is finally having some issues with Dehlin we can have a forum about what an insane cunt she is. Good to know. That wasn't too predictable at all.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Mayan Elephant wrote:I am no fan of OW or of Kate. Just super happy that now that she is finally having some issues with Dehlin we can have a forum about what an insane **** she is. Good to know. That wasn't too predictable at all.

She certainly came across as very bitter, angry and extreme this week, and did nothing to help the feminist cause.

I've always been open to the conversation. My frustration with this particular issue over the past couple of years, is I, and others, have asked and asked Rosebud to just TELL US WHAT John Dehlin DID to deserve the criticism, but she won't. She won't tell us what he did to her, but just wan't and expects us to take her word for it. She just comes on here and complains and makes accusation of "something" and tells us what a dick Dehlin is, but she will never just tell us what really happened. She may be 100% justified, but if she will not tell us the whole story with all the facts, she can't expect folks to believe the accusations. At least now with these Kate Kelly accusations, at least she is open about what she is upset about, and isn't just slandered the guy without some kind of open discussion and "evidence" of what is going on within Open Stories Foundation.

_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

The rift in the Open Stories Foundation and the DAMU just keeps tearing. I mean, Open Stories Foundation and OW are suppose to be allies, right?

Here is a typical comment/response that keeps popping up on social media.

a person wrote: I stood up for you against the public 'shamer' and I had no regrets. Public shaming is a common Mormon tactic which apparently the person whose name I will not speak decided to use against you. It triggered extreme feelings of anger.

I am glad she unfriended me, I never learned a thing from her.

_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Gina Colvin, who is Kate Kelly made the center of this whole blow up about getting screwed financially by Dehlin and Open Stories Foundation, did weigh in.

Gina Colvin wrote: I was so sad about the flare up yesterday. Ironically the net effect will probably be that female podcasters will be paid even less because of the perception that John is taking our money. This simply isn't the case. John has been nothing but generous, fair, honest and transparent in my work with him, and the Open Stories Foundation board has been well intended despite the fact that there a plenty of wrinkles still left to iron out. Much love to you John Dehlin