Calling "BS" on DCP's Buckley Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Calling "BS" on DCP's Buckley Story

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I would also like to suggest that the 2nd Watson Letter affair, specifically the thread here and the sister thread on the MAD board, were most likely was the 'beginning of the end' for Mr. Peterson's MI career and Mopologetics in general.

It was a devastating blow to their professional reputations, and without a doubt moved Mr. Peterson into the crosshairs of the Brethren. The Mopologists were outed as attempting to subordinate the Brethren to their particular brand of Mormonism and that just wasn't going to fly for very long.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Can anybody remember the details of that story about Calmoriah taking notes at some conference?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

moksha wrote:Can anybody remember the details of that story about Calmoriah taking notes at some conference?

That story is archived in the "Hall of Fame" threads: it's the story of the end of ZLMB and the rise of the FAIR / MAD board ("The Origin of FAIR / MAD"). I don't think it was Calmoriah who claimed to have the notes, however. As I recall, it was Juliann who made that (apparently false) assertion.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I would also like to suggest that the 2nd Watson Letter affair, specifically the thread here and the sister thread on the MAD board, were most likely was the 'beginning of the end' for Mr. Peterson's MI career and Mopologetics in general.

With all due respect, that wasn't what did it. The straw that broke the camel's back was the almost-published "hit piece" on John Dehlin that was authored by Greg Smith (notice how his name always shows up right before one or more apologists, apologetic theories, or apologetic institutions are utterly annihilated?).
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I would also like to suggest that the 2nd Watson Letter affair, specifically the thread here and the sister thread on the MAD board, were most likely was the 'beginning of the end' for Mr. Peterson's MI career and Mopologetics in general.

With all due respect, that wasn't what did it. The straw that broke the camel's back was the almost-published "hit piece" on John Dehlin that was authored by Greg Smith (notice how his name always shows up right before one or more apologists, apologetic theories, or apologetic institutions are utterly annihilated?).

Greg was certainly the gift that kept on giving inadvertently towards the destruction of mopologetics.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:

I would never deem to disagree with that assessment. While one incident was the "beginning of the end" I would agree another incident was "the straw that broke the camel's back".

Anyhow, spot on assessment Dr. Shades.

-Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Elphaba
_Emeritus

Post by _Elphaba »

toon wrote:I know that BYU used students at times in the 80s to pick up speakers at the airport in Salt Lake. Had a friend who picked up Mike Farrell (of MASH fame) at the airport once. But I can't imagine Farrell was also driven to the Church office building to meet with SWK, et al.
That's very interesting about Farrell. My sister also supposedly picked Farrell up from the airport; however, she was not a student at BYU, but at Southern University State College (this was in early '80s). Nothing was ever said about taking him to visit with SLC authorities, but since they were driving back to Cedar City, I can't imagine they would have made such a stop. Now that I think about it, I'm also not sure what airport she said she picked him up from. It seems like Las Vegas would have been closer than SLC.

Was Farrell LDS? Perhaps speaking at Utah colleges and universities was something he did often.

Regardless, her picking up Farrell from the airport has become family lore.

Elphaba
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
~~Walt Whitman
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Sadly, there was no mention of Mr. Peterson in the article. Poor guy.

- Doc

It was a tough call but during the editing process the chauffeur's name always ends up on the cutting room floor.
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

sock puppet wrote:Greg was certainly the gift that kept on giving inadvertently towards the destruction of mopologetics.

INDEED!

If you have a hated enemy whom you want to humiliate, destroy, and/or cast into outer darkness, simply talk Greg Smith into announcing something about him.

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:While one incident was the "beginning of the end" I would agree another incident was "the straw that broke the camel's back".

OOPS! It looks like I misinterpreted your intent. Sorry about that.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Elphaba wrote:
toon wrote:I know that BYU used students at times in the 80s to pick up speakers at the airport in Salt Lake. Had a friend who picked up Mike Farrell (of MASH fame) at the airport once. But I can't imagine Farrell was also driven to the Church office building to meet with SWK, et al.
That's very interesting about Farrell. My sister also supposedly picked Farrell up from the airport; however, she was not a student at BYU, but at Southern University State College (this was in early '80s). Nothing was ever said about taking him to visit with SLC authorities, but since they were driving back to Cedar City, I can't imagine they would have made such a stop. Now that I think about it, I'm also not sure what airport she said she picked him up from. It seems like Las Vegas would have been closer than SLC.

Was Farrell LDS? Perhaps speaking at Utah colleges and universities was something he did often.

Farrell was a Catholic while growing up. I believe there was some dispute between BYU and Farrell over whether he could talk about politics when he came to campus. In his autobiography, he recounts a visit to Salt Lake City to meet with church leaders and the governor on behalf of William Andrews (Hi-Fi murders), who was scheduled for execution in 1992. Farrell writes that the LDS Church's history includes discrimination against black people who were considered descendants of Ham. He says that his meeting with church leaders was short and unsuccessful.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac