Calling "BS" on DCP's Buckley Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Calling "BS" on DCP's Buckley Story

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Hello, friends. I have been hard at work at Cassius, putting together this year's Top Ten list, but this was just too juicy to pass up. Over on the blog known as "Sic et Non," Dr. Peterson has posted an account of his alleged encounter with legendary conservative thinker and author, William F. Buckley. He claims that,

DCP wrote:Back in the mid- to late seventies, when I was still an undergraduate at Brigham Young University, the conservative intellectual and writer William F.Buckley Jr. visited and spoke at BYU.

I was privileged to pick him up at the airport and to take him to visit for an hour or so with the First Presidency (Spencer W. Kimball, N. Eldon Tanner, and Marion G. Romney). There were a lot of fun things that came out of the time I spent with him, and I’ll probably write about them at some point.

Sorry, but I'm not buying this. Why on earth would BYU or Church officials send an undergrad to pick up Buckley from the airport? Can you imagine what sort of car Prof. P. must have been driving at that time? (Or was he given keys to a Church-owned town car?) Plus, we are expected to believe that he was invited to a meeting with the First Presidency for an hour? This strains credulity to the breaking point, so unless there is additional evidence that would help to corroborate the story, I'm declaring this to be a Paul Dunn-style fib. Perhaps this is the Mopologetic version of that story about Elder Cook confronting Mick Jagger on an airplane. Perhaps the thinking is, "Hey: if the Brethren do it, I should get to do it, too."

We will see, I suppose.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Calling "BS" on DCP's Buckley Story

Post by _Lemmie »

Somebody agrees with you:
username PaloAltoCougar wrote: 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I loved the guy when I was in high school in the late '60s. His essays and Firing Line talk show inspired me, not so much because of his ideology but he taught me the power of words. I loved the way he dismantled Robert Vaughn (The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) in a televised debate about Vietnam.

In the mid-70's, before the Blacks/Priesthood revelation, Buckley visited BYU. A friend of mine, Clayton Christensen, got to be Buckley's chauffeur. Buckley's itinerary included a stop at the Church Office Building to meet with then-President Spencer W. Kimball, after which Clayton drove WFB to the airport. On the way, Buckley asked him, "So tell me why your Church denies the priesthood to blacks."

Clayton responded, "Gee, Mr. Buckley, why didn't you present that question to President Kimball?" Buckley thought for a moment and responded, "Ahhh, I didn't want to vex the old guy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/archiv ... 17188.html

The link above is from this:

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events > William F. Buckley, Jr. Dead at 82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PDAView Full Version : William F. Buckley, Jr. Dead at 82

_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Of course DCP is lying. There is more than ample evidence to make a good case that DCP lies so frequently he could be considered pathological.

Thanks to the internet, there is a meticulous record of his behavior for all to see. Here are just a few of the numerous struggles DCP has had with honesty/integrity:

-DCP representing that "absolutely none, not a dime -- comes from my apologetic undertakings" and then demanding his usual payment from Dr. Gerald Bradford for his work as editor;

-Lying about Professor Robert Ritner and the reasons he removed himself from John Gee's dissertation committee (which ultimately resulted in Professor Ritner telling DCP to cease or he would take legal action);

-DCP affirming repeatedly that his emailing of the link to Eric's stepdad was completely ethical, on the grounds that DCP himself would have wanted to be emailed a link;

-Second Watson Letter;

-Professor Jorgensen pointing out that DCP fabricated his "implausible tale" of sending the RLDS First Presidency a letter;

-DCP's deceptive and extremely serious violation of academic integrity in misquoting Camus;

-DCP's repeated use of the Spencer Lake horse bones as evidence (which has long been determined to have been a fraud/hoax) for the Book of Mormon account;

-Dr. Peterson's use of the Bat Creek Stone to argue for Book of Mormon evidence;

-Misusing and unauthorized access of a Church database for his own personal use;

-Lying about Michael Quinn;

-Lying about meeting Gloria Steinem Egypt;

-Telling Blair Hodges to "go to hell" and then misrepresenting the event; and

-etc, etc, etc, etc, and etc.

Daniel C. Peterson's life is truly a cautionary tale of the depths one can descend when attempting to defend the faith. DCP truly is the Fibber McGee of Mormonism.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

That is the problem with Mormorons, they just don't understand the POWER of Google GOD. Truly an all knowing, all remembering, all disseminating GOD.

When you're use to Horny Holy Joe's Mormoron Man god and his Bastard son, TRUTH is FICTION and FICTION is TRUTH.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Hello, friends. I have been hard at work at Cassius, putting together this year's Top Ten list, but this was just too juicy to pass up. Over on the blog known as "Sic et Non," Dr. Peterson has posted an account of his alleged encounter with legendary conservative thinker and author, William F. Buckley. He claims that,

DCP wrote:Back in the mid- to late seventies, when I was still an undergraduate at Brigham Young University, the conservative intellectual and writer William F.Buckley Jr. visited and spoke at BYU.

I was privileged to pick him up at the airport and to take him to visit for an hour or so with the First Presidency (Spencer W. Kimball, N. Eldon Tanner, and Marion G. Romney). There were a lot of fun things that came out of the time I spent with him, and I’ll probably write about them at some point.

Sorry, but I'm not buying this. Why on earth would BYU or Church officials send an undergrad to pick up Buckley from the airport? Can you imagine what sort of car Prof. P. must have been driving at that time? (Or was he given keys to a Church-owned town car?) Plus, we are expected to believe that he was invited to a meeting with the First Presidency for an hour? This strains credulity to the breaking point, so unless there is additional evidence that would help to corroborate the story, I'm declaring this to be a Paul Dunn-style fib. Perhaps this is the Mopologetic version of that story about Elder Cook confronting Mick Jagger on an airplane. Perhaps the thinking is, "Hey: if the Brethren do it, I should get to do it, too."

We will see, I suppose.

DCP is a master at self-delusion. In his own mind, he's the LDS Forrest Gump.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Of course DCP is lying. There is more than ample evidence to make a good case that DCP lies so frequently he could be considered pathological.

Thanks to the internet, there is a meticulous record of his behavior for all to see. Here are just a few of the numerous struggles DCP has had with honesty/integrity:

-DCP representing that "absolutely none, not a dime -- comes from my apologetic undertakings" and then demanding his usual payment from Dr. Gerald Bradford for his work as editor;

-Lying about Professor Robert Ritner and the reasons he removed himself from John Gee's dissertation committee (which ultimately resulted in Professor Ritner telling DCP to cease or he would take legal action);

-DCP affirming repeatedly that his emailing of the link to Eric's stepdad was completely ethical, on the grounds that DCP himself would have wanted to be emailed a link;

-Second Watson Letter;

-Professor Jorgensen pointing out that DCP fabricated his "implausible tale" of sending the RLDS First Presidency a letter;

-DCP's deceptive and extremely serious violation of academic integrity in misquoting Camus;

-DCP's repeated use of the Spencer Lake horse bones as evidence (which has long been determined to have been a fraud/hoax) for the Book of Mormon account;

-Dr. Peterson's use of the Bat Creek Stone to argue for Book of Mormon evidence;

-Misusing and unauthorized access of a Church database for his own personal use;

-Lying about Michael Quinn;

-Lying about meeting Gloria Steinem Egypt;

-Telling Blair Hodges to "go to hell" and then misrepresenting the event; and

-etc, etc, etc, etc, and etc.

Daniel C. Peterson's life is truly a cautionary tale of the depths one can descend when attempting to defend the faith. DCP truly is the Fibber McGee of Mormonism.

His Camus distortions are my personal favorite.

But I do miss too his hair-trigger threats of legal action at the drop of a hat. There was so much comic relief in them--and the potential for lawyers and no one else to make money off of such.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

"Facts don't matter." - Donald J Trump.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

New commentary:

DCP wrote:One of them, Stephen D. Ricks, had been a missionary companion of mine. When he told Mr. Buckley that he had served in Switzerland, Buckley replied, “Oh, that’s also where Dan Peterson served.” When Stephen told me that afterwards, I was astonished that Mr. Buckley had remembered my name.

Verification is always nice
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, I straight up busted DCP plagiarizing and when I presented proof he and his supporters suggested it was fine since this forum wasn't an academic setting.

The man has no problem following Mr. Smth's code of conduct.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:New commentary:

DCP wrote:One of them, Stephen D. Ricks, had been a missionary companion of mine. When he told Mr. Buckley that he had served in Switzerland, Buckley replied, “Oh, that’s also where Dan Peterson served.” When Stephen told me that afterwards, I was astonished that Mr. Buckley had remembered my name.

Verification is always nice

No, come on. Are you serious Dan really wrote that?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."