Have you officially resigned from the LDS church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

What is LDS church status

Total votes: 0

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Have you officially resigned from the LDS church?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The poll function doesn't work.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Aoife
_Emeritus

Post by _Aoife »

Aoife - Resigned

I think 13 years ago. I would have done it earlier, but I was waiting and hoping for my husband to come around and leave with me (he did/we did). I was an active non-believer for about 3 years.

Basically, a friend at work told me rather bluntly that he thought that my belief in the church was a product of my upbringing and being indoctrinated, that it wasn't rational. That hurt my feelings a bit, and bugged me because I felt like although my belief was founded in faith, it was also somehow rational. To comfort myself, I started fasting and praying and reading more, including that multi-volume paperback "History of the Church" series that is (or was) in every ward library. I remember thinking that the early saints were an exhausting, high-conflict bunch, and feeling relieved that I had a more low-drama existence. Eventually I came across a FARMS publication online that featured a review of Todd Compton's In Sacred Loneliness. After reading about Joseph Smith's extra-marital conduct (with regards to his only legal marriage, to Emma). I remember having the thought that "This isn't someone I would trust or even want to be around. Why would I take him at his word for anything?" And that was the beginning of the end, and a new beginning.
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

Inactive since about 85'. I guess I probably should resign cause, you know, those end-of-days bad guys roaming around with lists of Morms...
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Resigned.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:The poll function doesn't work.

It hasn't for many years. A curse from God?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Abaddon
_Emeritus

Post by _Abaddon »

Resigned.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

cwald wrote:cwald - Inactive

Walked away after being threatened with church discipline. Told them if they didn't want me they could kick me out, but I wouldn't be there when they did so. I wasn't going to waste my time and attend that meeting. Never went back. That happened on Mother's Day 2011.

Hate to break this to you but just walking away does nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

You are still on the church records, merely listed, if at all, as inactive. Five, ten years down the line, some bishopric, or a zealot home teacher, or a stake missionary, will take it upon themselves to "re-activate you".

They will come around to your address....and it doesn't matter how many times you move and not have left a forwarding address....they will find you. I was visited in Northern Canada, long after going inactive, I was visited in Europe, several times. I had never visited the church, talked to any old contacts, been in touch with anyone from the church (I did have active relatives).

Remember the lines from the Eagles "Hotel California"
'Relax' said the night man
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave!'

Me? I went inactive in 1975.

Finally, after getting visits from missionaries and home teachers, who I told that I wanted nothing to do with the church, and Why I wasn't interested, and yet they came anyways, I decided that only a written, recordable, dated and signed letter sent as registered mail would get their attention.

bcuzbcuz - resigned 2014
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I resigned in 2001 because I was lazy, intransigent, and wanted to sin.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

cwald wrote:
Markk wrote:...

Smart-ass.

PS. You could do the poll while you are at it.

It won't let me? I also can't PM for some reason..Shades said he fixed it but it still doesn't work

It reads... "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Also...After I resigned, I received calls from VHTs for a few years, then later a friend who was inactive and had a brother in the BR told me my name was on the PH VHT list as " Bishop only"...so I have no idea what having your name removed really means...but I do have a letter somewhere from an apostle saying it was done.

I tried several times to get my name removed and I got no response from the SP, I believe my dad was blocking. I finally sent a letter to the council of the 12 saying I was going to write to the local newspaper saying that the church refused to remove my name. I received a letter from Ballard a few weeks later saying they usually do not get involved but insured me he would get it done...I then received a letter from my SP saying I 30 days to repent, or my name would be removed.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Maureen
_Emeritus

Post by _Maureen »

bcuzbcuz wrote:...Finally, after getting visits from missionaries and home teachers, who I told that I wanted nothing to do with the church, and Why I wasn't interested, and yet they came anyways, I decided that only a written, recordable, dated and signed letter sent as registered mail would get their attention.

My husband sometimes gets called by phone twice a year from the missionaries to see if they could visit. We let them know we don't want to waste their time but they're welcome to come over to say Hi!. They call but then they never come over.

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle