Have you officially resigned from the LDS church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

What is LDS church status

Total votes: 0

_cwald
_Emeritus

Have you officially resigned from the LDS church?

Post by _cwald »

This thread got me thinking and I suspect most folks here are just "inactive" and haven't resigned. If you are comfortable and want to disclose your current status, I would be very interested.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44894
The daily numbers of resignations, 4 days an entire ward?!

Two comments

Jesse Pinkman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Holy sh**! Those numbers are crazy! Imagine what would happen if we added in those who just choose to go inactive without going through any kind of formal process,

I wonder how many of those folks who are resigning are doing so before the Church can take excommunication action against them?

Philo Sofee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 pm

https://i.redd.it/xj22vaygoa9y.png

I mean I knew there were people quitting but this is their official resignation. And it gives it by the daily numbers. And this is only for that website. Who knows throughout the church how many are really resigning? I don't know I just thought it was fascinating that these numbers are far larger than I thought they were.

Please response like this to begin your post

cwald - Inactive

Here are your options:

Active
Semi-active
Inactive
Resigned
Excommunicated
Never Mo
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_cwald
_Emeritus

Re: Have you officially resigned from the LDS church?

Post by _cwald »

cwald - Inactive

Walked away after being threatened with church discipline. Told them if they didn't want me they could kick me out, but I wouldn't be there when they did so. I wasn't going to waste my time and attend that meeting. Never went back. That happened on Mother's Day 2011.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Res Ipsa -- Resigned

I didn't resign until around 30 years after I left Mormonism. I would have earlier, but I made a promise to my dad not to do so until my grandmother passed. It wasn't really a big deal, but it didn't seem right to stay on the membership rolls of an organization I no longer considered myself to be a member of. And it made no sense to me to have the church check in periodically. So I cut the cord, so to speak.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

cwald wrote:Please response like this to begin your post

cwald - Inactive

cwald - Inactive

Markk-resigned, I received letter from M Russell Ballard it was done.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Markk wrote:...

Smart-ass.

PS. You could do the poll while you are at it.

_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Resigned. Thinking of rejoining when I die. Celestial loophole
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

Jonah - Inactive

I have not stepped inside of an LDS church in nearly 19 years. I have always wanted to resign but circumstances have kept me from doing so. For the first seven years I was involved in a family business and it would not have been advantageous for me to resign. For the past 12 years I have been involved in litigation (estate matters) versus TBM family members where church membership and temple worthiness has actually come into play. Of the 15 lawyers/plaintiffs/defendants involved, 11 are LDS. Being able to testify that I am a “member” has been helpful. Should the litigation ever end in my lifetime, I look forward to resigning.
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
cwald wrote:Please response like this to begin your post

cwald - Inactive

cwald - Inactive

Markk-resigned, I received letter from M Russell Ballard it was done.

Now that's funny! Kudos, Markk.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Maureen
_Emeritus

Post by _Maureen »

I am a non-Mormon but my husband was brought up Mormon. The religion never took for him and if he would have a had the choice at age 8 for baptism, he would have chosen not to be baptized. He was done by the age of 16 but has never resigned. He doesn't think resigning is a necessity.

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Wife and I resigned in 2010, after 15 years of inactivity.

Should have done it much sooner.

I highly recommend it.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond