WTF? MD&D Members Defending Hitlers Proxy Baptism.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

WTF? MD&D Members Defending Hitlers Proxy Baptism.

Post by _Craig Paxton »

This has left me gobsmacked and completely caught off guard when members of that board instead of being indignant and embarrassed are defending the work. That despite multiple steps in the endowment process...no one stopped to ask the question if this was right that Adolf Hitler should be receiving his temple proxy work. Instead they defend it...I'm at a loss of words.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/686 ... lic-image/
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: WTF? MD&D Members Defending Hitlers Proxy Baptism.

Post by _grindael »

Why be surprised? They hold up Brigham Young as a great prophet. If he had Hitler's power, imagine what he would have done to the blacks. He even made statements that if his hands weren't tied by circumstance (mostly the US Government) he would have murdered anyone that intermarried.

What's the difference? Brigham Young in 1847:

Prest. Young If they were far away from the Gentiles they [those that intermarried] wod. [would] ALL on [ought?] to be killed - when they mingle seed it is death to all. If a black man & white woman come to you & demand baptism can you deny them? the law is their seed shall not be amalgamated. Mulattoes r like mules they can't have children, but if they will be Eunuch for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake they may have a place in the Temple. [This is taken from Matthew 19:12, which is about Gay, castrated, or celibate men as "eunuchs".]The Lamanites [Native Americans] r purely of the house of Israel & it is a curse that is to be removed when the fulness of the Gospel comes.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Craig,

You might point out to them that it did not have to be done now by the church. There are billions of unknown dead people for whom the work cannot be done until the millennia, why not just refrain from performing work for a few whose names we know but are so evil we leave God to decided when it needs to be done.

For those that say judgement is up to God, ask them if they are okay then with being a member of the same church with Adolf Hiltler? I think on one hand they will exclaim that it is up to God to decide but on the other they will be very uncomfortable if God has decided to forgive him.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

grindael wrote:Why be surprised? They hold up Brigham Young as a great prophet. If he had Hitler's power, imagine what he would have done to the blacks. He even made statements that if his hands weren't tied by circumstance (mostly the US Government) he would have murdered anyone that intermarried.

What's the difference? Brigham Young in 1847:

Prest. Young If they were far away from the Gentiles they [those that intermarried] wod. [would] ALL on [ought?] to be killed - when they mingle seed it is death to all. If a black man & white woman come to you & demand baptism can you deny them? the law is their seed shall not be amalgamated. Mulattoes r like mules they can't have children, but if they will be Eunuch for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake they may have a place in the Temple. [This is taken from Matthew 19:12, which is about Gay, castrated, or celibate men as "eunuchs".]The Lamanites [Native Americans] r purely of the house of Israel & it is a curse that is to be removed when the fulness of the Gospel comes.

Wasn't it also BY that said some of the elders would seal themselves to Satan if they thought it would increase their dominion?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Wasn't it also BY that said some of the elders would seal themselves to Satan if they thought it would increase their dominion?

Not familiar with that quote, (and my research computer is down while I redesign my office), so I can't look it up, but I will when I get things up and running again. But it sounds like Young.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Fence Sitter wrote:Craig,

You might point out to them that it did not have to be done now by the church. There are billions of unknown dead people for whom the work cannot be done until the millennia, why not just refrain from performing work for a few whose names we know but are so evil we leave God to decided when it needs to be done.

For those that say judgement is up to God, ask them if they are okay then with being a member of the same church with Adolf Hiltler? I think on one hand they will exclaim that it is up to God to decide but on the other they will be very uncomfortable if God has decided to forgive him.

Other (non-believers) have pointed this flaw in their logic out to no avail. Having Hitler as a member of their church does not seem to phase them...and I'm left incredulous. Even at my most devout point in Mormonism this would have both embarrassed and bothered me and I can't for the life of me understand why they view this as being ok. Some things are just beyond the pale...but evidentially not.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Why are you surprised? This is a group of people who believe their underwear will stop bullets.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

This brings up an interesting idea. People should search their dead dunking records to see if various serial killers and other unsavory sorts have had their work performed for them.

- Dingle Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Craig Paxton wrote:This has left me gobsmacked and completely caught off guard when members of that board instead of being indignant and embarrassed are defending the work. That despite multiple steps in the endowment process...no one stopped to ask the question if this was right that Adolf Hitler should be receiving his temple proxy work. Instead they defend it...I'm at a loss of words.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/686 ... lic-image/

Heh, funny how quiet it got over there once it was shown that the leaders nullified these ordinances done for Hitler. Where did all the defenders go? :lol:
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

They have such a knee jerk reaction in defending anything church related that sometimes they get ahead of themselves. :lol:
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen