MormonLeaks: PP on "Threats to the Church"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Equality
_Emeritus

MormonLeaks: PP on "Threats to the Church"

Post by _Equality »

A glimpse at what the Brethren view as threats to the church on a spectrum from "Left" to "Right."
https://www.docdroid.net/FSgWOMk/powerpoint-on-threats-to-the-church.pdf.html

Who is Robert Norman, though? Is it the guy referenced in this article as a former mission president?
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865620150/Missionary-preparation-begins-earlier-than-ever.html

I've heard of Snuffer and Dehlin, of course. But didn't know Robert Norman was a "threat" to the LDS Church. Is he a recent semi-high-profile suppressive person? denier? bitter apostate?

Most interesting thing about the PowerPoint is the assumption that all the "threats" are external--no need for the church to look inward at itself to see if there is anything there that needs to be improved; no, the threats are all external and come from people not being 100% with "the program."
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: MormonLeaks: PP on "Threats to the Church"

Post by _Xenophon »

Equality wrote:Most interesting thing about the PowerPoint is the assumption that all the "threats" are external--no need for the church to look inward at itself to see if there is anything there that needs to be improved; no, the threats are all external and come from people not being 100% with "the program."

In a typical SWOT analysis internal problems typically fall within the "weakness" category whereas external issues are "threats". That is not to say that they are actually examining their internal business weakness that put them at a disadvantage. I do agree with you that their internal weaknesses are probably more damaging then any external threats.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

I have to say I'm a little skeptical of this release. Call me a cynic or whatever, but I'm wondering about the authenticity of this release.

Robert Norman is apparently a popular institute teacher that is kind-of a last-days-seen-Jesus-type person. See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... day_22817/

The release just seems to smell a little bit to me because it "confirms" so much speculation on the exmormon reddit, and Mormon Stories was ready to discuss this leak with an all-star panel of Dr. Gina Colvin (A Thoughtful Faith Podcast and KiwiMormon), Lindsay Hansen Park (Sunstone), Pastor John Hamer (Toronto Community of Christ), Jesse Stay, and Ryan McKnight (MormonLeaks).

But like I said, maybe I'm a cynic. Maybe it's the Holy Ghost. Maybe I don't like coordination. Who knows, but I'm not liking this leak so far.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Interesting. I couldn't help but think of the mote and beam parable. And the possibility of a false leak makes me think of Spy vs. Spy from Mad magazine.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think Robert Norman was a professor at the LDS Institute at the University of Utah. Being around all that science and learning may have made Elder Norman suspect in the eyes of the PowerPoint presentation author.

From Brother Norman's website: https://rjnorman.blogspot.com/2009/04/pattern-for-second-coming.html
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I'm wondering why apologists didn't get a bubble? Their failure to adequately respond to church history and other issues greatly helped me leave.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

CameronMO wrote:The release just seems to smell a little bit to me because it "confirms" so much speculation on the exmormon reddit, and Mormon Stories was ready to discuss this leak with an all-star panel of Dr. Gina Colvin (A Thoughtful Faith Podcast and KiwiMormon), Lindsay Hansen Park (Sunstone), Pastor John Hamer (Toronto Community of Christ), Jesse Stay, and Ryan McKnight (MormonLeaks).

But like I said, maybe I'm a cynic. Maybe it's the Holy Ghost. Maybe I don't like coordination. Who knows, but I'm not liking this leak so far.

Ryan McKnight should not have participated in this discussion. Granted, I have not listened to it yet, but on the face, it backfires on his claim to want to stay neutral on these leaks and let the reader decide. By participating in this discussion with John Dehlin, it muddies that claim. Poor decision by Ryan.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Maybe that's what I don't like about it. So are MormonStories and MormonLeaks working together now? It's obvious that MS got a heads-up about "documents" that ML had. Hell, the "Leak" and the "Story" were posted over there within a 1/2 hour of each other.

I don't know, man. It's hard for me to take this one seriously.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

CameronMO wrote:I don't know, man. It's hard for me to take this one seriously.

Wait. Are you suggesting the Church isn't assessing existential threats to its business model and game planning how to counter them? Because that pp presentation is pretty clear with regards to what they're doing.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
CameronMO wrote:I don't know, man. It's hard for me to take this one seriously.

Wait. Are you suggesting the Church isn't assessing existential threats to its business model and game planning how to counter them? Because that pp presentation is pretty clear with regards to what they're doing.

- Doc

No, I think they assess external threats to their business model, and game plan how to counter the threats. But to me, it wouldn't surprise me if it came out that this particular document was not what it purports to be. It just seems to read a little too close to what ex-mos want to see. It confirms too many suspicions. I don't know what to say.

After weeks and weeks of boring, monotonous, incredibly business-like documents that showed just how boring the CoJCoLDS is, we get this? A document that shows how scared they are and how dangerous our heroes are to the church? And MormonStories already has a podcast with all our favorite bloggers ready to discuss it to boot? It's like Christmas! (or X-mas, as Rusty Nelson wrote on his calendar.)

I'm a fan of what McKnight and the whole team at MormonLeaks does. This one, though, I don't know.