The Mormon Vision of the Arts

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

The Mormon Vision of the Arts

Post by _Maksutov »

40 years ago....

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1977/07/the- ... s?lang=eng

Brigham Young said, “Every accomplishment, every polished grace, every useful attainment in mathematics, music, and in all sciences and art belong to the Saints.”

Members of the Church should be peers or superiors to any others in natural ability, extended training, plus the Holy Spirit which should bring them light and truth. With hundreds of “men of God” and their associates so blessed, we have the base for an increasingly efficient and worthy corps of talent.

Could there be among us embryo poets and novelists like Goethe (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749–1832)? Have we explored as much as we should? Of the creator of Faust, Emerson said, “The old eternal genius that built the world had confided itself more to this man than to any other.” But Goethe was not the greatest nor the last. There may be many Goethes among us even today, waiting to be discovered. Inspired Saints will write great books and novels and biographies and plays.

Can we not find equal talent to those who gave us A Man for All Seasons, Doctor Zhivago, Ben Hur? This latter book I read when a small boy and many times I have returned to it. Critics might not agree with me, but I feel that it is a great story. My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music and such have pleased their millions, but I believe we can improve on them.

Mormon Renaissance of Arts and Literature in evidence:

Unless someone has contrary evidence, of course. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: The Mormon Vision of the Arts

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

from the sermon:
"But then we ask, “Can there never be another Michelangelo?” Ah! Yes! His David in Florence and his Moses in Rome inspire to adulation. Did all such talent run out in that early century? Could not we find an embodied talent like this, but with a soul that was free from immorality and sensuality and intolerance?"

wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Italy wrote:
- Historical population
- Year Pop.
- 1500 11,000,000
11 million? a little "less" than today's membership...

wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattrocento lists 48 artists
the most known ones (by me only, sorry...)
- Sandro Botticelli
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Luca della Robbia
- Donatello
- Fra Angelico
- Andrea del Verrocchio
- Michelangelo - last but not least

what about artists of 15 million members?
arnold friberg? who know him outside of membership? and who do not know him of the 15 million?

but he was "free from immorality and sensuality and intolerance", by the way
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Maksutov,

this is a real blast from the past. Long before Phineas Scratch earned his Phd, I "published" the article Kimball's Mad Vision.

It cites your BY quote as well.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Gadianton wrote:Maksutov,

this is a real blast from the past. Long before Phineas Scratch earned his Phd, I "published" the article Kimball's Mad Vision.

It cites your BY quote as well.

An excellent discussion, Dean. Thank you for the link and your great thoughts within. :wink:
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Art, to the Mormon leadership, is like a wild, ferocious, and unpredictable beast. And they approach it with fear for themselves rather than appreciating it for what it is.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

zeezrom wrote:Art, to the Mormon leadership, is like a wild, ferocious, and unpredictable beast. And they approach it with fear for themselves rather than appreciating it for what it is.

Not to mention that the arts are the vanguard of Marxist revolution. :wink:

http://flashbak.com/how-the-beatles-hyp ... -war-6986/

_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

oooh I want that book
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Juggler Vain
_Emeritus

Post by _Juggler Vain »

Spice up your Sunday School lessons with Intellectual Preserve.
_Simple Tailor
_Emeritus

Post by _Simple Tailor »

Perhaps a bigger question that could be asked today is "What is Art?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRWJcrRO0GM
The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

zeezrom wrote:oooh I want that book

Yepper that book belongs in everyone's library right next to the "Little Factories" book.

a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015