Atheists Foolishly Imagine Suffering Proves There is No God

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: Atheists Foolishly Imagine Suffering Proves There is No

Post by _spotlight »

As the moth to the candle flame, mankind to religion.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

...Suffering Proves There is No God

Straw man alert!

The actual argument is that suffering is very good evidence that there is no god that cares about and interferes in the daily lives of humans and other creatures. Nothing is 'proved.'

As to the existence of a hands-off deity or an uncaring deity, who knows? Such a being could well be compatible with the situation in this world. You know, minor inconveniences such as children starving or being raped and tortured.

A god that either causes or allows such things could exist. You just can't credibly claim that this kind of god is loving or caring.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

krose wrote:You know, minor inconveniences such as children starving or being raped and tortured.

A god that either causes or allows such things could exist. You just can't credibly claim that this kind of god is loving or caring.

Why can't you make that claim?
Without knowing all the repercussions and results of the horrible things that happen it is impossible to know how much love and care could be behind such events.
Look how much love was behind what happened to our Savior.
We are little more than small children trying to figure out the decisions of our parents.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Nightlion's lack of empathy is, unfortunately, not shocking. You see his mindset manifested in ISIS, or the Mormons who would dress up as Native Americans and slit the throats of men, women, and children.

I now hold my arm to the square and officially condemn Nightlion to a life akin to those whose suffering he deems insignificant.

It is done.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

JLHPROF wrote:
krose wrote:You know, minor inconveniences such as children starving or being raped and tortured.

Of course you can, as it appears you just did. As I said, though, I don't think it's a credible claim that there would be any 'love and care' behind allowing a baby to suffer excruciating pain. You may imagine a positive reason for such a thing. I cannot.

Without knowing all the repercussions and results of the horrible things that happen it is impossible to know how much love and care could be behind such events.
We are little more than small children trying to figure out the decisions of our parents.

In the story, Jesus is a man-god who willingly and knowingly undergoes the pain and torture in an act of self sacrifice. I can't see how that is anything like small children and mentally disabled people being subjected to severe abuse.

Getting away from our species for a moment (because you could claim that we chose to be tortured before we were born), what love and care is evident in the creation/design of creatures (usually insects) that kill their victims by eating them alive from the inside, sometimes very slowly. Some will lay their eggs inside a host, so that their larvae can eventually eat their way out. How does this kind of cruelty serve any kind of positive purpose?
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

spotlight wrote:As the moth to the candle flame, mankind to religion.

This site has become a rumpus room for atheists to jack up their vitriol against God and his prophets. I find that curious that such a bully mentality takes over when one flies the coop of hypocrisy.

You failed because the Mormons were hypocrite to the core and you were stupid enough to imagine hypocrisy was the real deal....then you realized it was fake. Now you hate being cheated and rage like a man on fire but overreact against God all together. Proving that you can't fix stupid.

And this golden accusation about suffering is fake. At what point is suffering rendered moot? A hangnail? Hell no if that was the ONLY problem in the whole universe it would be exploited to the upmost to accuse God and give license to hate and disbelieve. Dumb as hell.

You also seem confident that God CAN prevent all ills but refuses to. That is your dream world conclusion. WHY DID THIS WORLD EXIST TO BEGIN WITH? A fallen world.......that means out of God's hands. Yes it was intended. But it remains what it is, a fallen world.....out of God's hands. And that is what it is. This is NOT his kingdom. And mankind needs to stop being spiritual idiots on this point. And repent for that window of grace God will open up only on an individual basis. That is the test and you all ought to know it. Tuff cookies faithless wonders.

There is no conversation possible with militants who make war against God. Does not matter what the facts are. War is hell. Expect no truth there.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Nightlion's lack of empathy is, unfortunately, not shocking. You see his mindset manifested in ISIS, or the Mormons who would dress up as Native Americans and slit the throats of men, women, and children.

I now hold my arm to the square and officially condemn Nightlion to a life akin to those whose suffering he deems insignificant.

It is done.

- Doc

Heavens forbid that I dare imagine a reason why you might want to remove that belly button jewel of God hate. Cast me on the fire.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

"God is all powerful; all must stand in awe of Him. He will not be mocked. Can anyone count the number of angels who serve Him? Is there any place where God's light does not shine? Can anyone hide from Him? Can anyone be pure or righteous in God's sight? In His eyes even the moon is not bright or the stars pure.
What about man, that worm, that insect-so what is man in God's eyes? Who can know how God is truly powerful, mighty, holy, all knowing?"

Words above from Job for thought and , if you think, just a little, there there just might be a God.

Imho He has all the reasons why and answers to all questions you have, including those about suffering?

i hope NL will not slam me!
Respectfully submitted

kairos
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

JLHPROF wrote:

How dare you infer that there could be love or caring behind rape, torture, disease and starvation.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

just me wrote:
How dare you infer that there could be love or caring behind rape, torture, disease and starvation.

Interesting that you insist evil trumps God. Little wonder that the devil looks up and laughs holding the chains of hell. There is redemption that reigns over all evil. That redemption did not perpetrate the evil as you infer. The power of free will that is given to all people in this world is accountable unto God whose judgments are just.

How much interference ought God be allowed to curtail offense? Are we free or no? Is not the love of God behind our own freedom? WHY?
That is the only question. How can we fathom it?