I can no longer remain silent...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_NOWmormon
_Emeritus

I can no longer remain silent...

Post by _NOWmormon »

My name is Scott, a lifetime member of the church.

In recent years, the Church has added controversial content on the official church website lds.org, in an effort towards more transparency regarding its history.
Much of this information is new to me, let alone shocking.

Particularly, that the founder Joseph Smith:
-Married multiple women
-As young as 14 years old
-Had sexual relations with some of them
-While some were already married to other men
-And his wife, Emma, did not know about all of them.

After a half century as a member of the Church, I am finally being told what Church leadership had known for almost two centuries.
Because they hid so much from me, I feel betrayed, deceived and hurt.

I suffer Mormon wounds.

I am a NOW Mormon (Neglected Or Wounded Mormon).

And I know that I am not alone.

Are you a NOW Mormon?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: I can no longer remain silent...

Post by _Kishkumen »

Welcome, Scott. I wish you the best in your struggle. Many of us have been through similar struggles and I am sure you will find sympathetic readers here.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Welcome NOW.

Tell us more. I.e. marriage history, children situation.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

NOWmormon wrote:After a half century as a member of the Church, I am finally being told what Church leadership had known for almost two centuries.
Because they hid so much from me, I feel betrayed, deceived and hurt.

You do not seem to be the only one in that situation.

As with other religions, Mormons are mostly Mormons because they were born into the religion into which their parents were born. Being or not being Mormon is in itself no grounds for viewing someone as likely to be a good person or a bad person.

But to be a leader of a religion that takes and has long taken active steps to minimise the possibility that members might become aware of the full range of information about its history, and thus, in effect, to deceive those members? That's a different matter.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

NOWmormon wrote:
In recent years, the Church has added controversial content on the official church website lds.org, in an effort towards more transparency regarding its history.

-Married multiple women

Where has the church published that Joseph Smith had sexual relations with someone other than Emma? And while married to other men?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

suniluni2 wrote:
NOWmormon wrote:

-Married multiple women

Where has the church published that Joseph Smith had sexual relations with someone other than Emma? And while married to other men?

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marri ... g&old=true

Sort of.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

They are doing their best not to admit it ... but ...

Joseph Smith and Plural Marriage
During the era in which plural marriage was practiced, Latter-day Saints distinguished between sealings for time and eternity and sealings for eternity only. Sealings for time and eternity included commitments and relationships during this life, generally including the possibility of sexual relations. Eternity-only sealings indicated relationships in the next life alone.

Evidence indicates that Joseph Smith participated in both types of sealings. The exact number of women to whom he was sealed in his lifetime is unknown because the evidence is fragmentary.24 Some of the women who were sealed to Joseph Smith later testified that their marriages were for time and eternity, while others indicated that their relationships were for eternity alone.

It doesn't really work, though, does it? Joseph taught plural marriage to his successor, Brigham Young, who certainly had sex with his plural wives.

By any normal standards of practical judgement, we don't need evidence from hidden video cameras to make it hard not to believe that Joseph Smith also had sex with his plural wives. I mean, why wouldn't he, if they were married?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_QuestionEverything
_Emeritus

Post by _QuestionEverything »

Chap wrote:They are doing their best not to admit it ... but ...

During the era in which plural marriage was practiced, Latter-day Saints distinguished between sealings for time and eternity and sealings for eternity only. Sealings for time and eternity included commitments and relationships during this life, generally including the possibility of sexual relations. Eternity-only sealings indicated relationships in the next life alone.

Evidence indicates that Joseph Smith participated in both types of sealings. The exact number of women to whom he was sealed in his lifetime is unknown because the evidence is fragmentary.24 Some of the women who were sealed to Joseph Smith later testified that their marriages were for time and eternity, while others indicated that their relationships were for eternity alone.

It doesn't really work, though, does it? Joseph taught plural marriage to his successor, Brigham Young, who certainly had sex with his plural wives.

By any normal standards of practical judgement, we don't need evidence from hidden video cameras to make it hard not to believe that Joseph Smith also had sex with his plural wives. I mean, why wouldn't he, if they were married?

And especially considering that the *only* scriptural grounds for practicing polygamy to begin with, would be to 'raise a righteous seed.' Very little to no wiggle room there.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Chap wrote:They are doing their best not to admit it ... but ...

Saying, "because the evidence is fragmentary" pisses me off. While in a sense that is true, it is a dishonest spin to gloss over why the evidence is "fragmentary." We aren't talking about an obscure figure from the 11th century. We are talking about the marriage records of an American religious leader who kept prodigious records--records that we still have.

In fact, when accused of polygamy Joseph claimed he could prove that he didn't engage in any kind of sealings. He claimed that over the time period when he was actually "marrying" these women, his personal records were so exhaustive that if they didn't indicate he was getting married and having rendezvous with his alleged plural wives, that constituted proof that it wasn't happening.

Joseph Smith Himself wrote:For the last three years I have a record of all my acts and proceedings, for I have kept several good, faithful, and efficient clerks in constant employ; they have accompanied me everywhere, and carefully kept my history, and they have written down what I have done, where I have been, and what I have said; therefore my enemies cannot charge me with any day, time, or place, but what I have written testimony to prove my actions; and my enemies cannot prove anything against me. (LDS History of the Church 6:409)

The reason we don't know the details of Joseph Smith's marriages isn't because the evidence happens to be "fragmentary." The reason we don't know the details is because he contemporaneously and deliberately falsified his records to conceal what he was doing from his critics, from the members of his church, and from his actual wife.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Lying for the Lord was the first and last doctrine of Joseph Smith. It is what guides the church today.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov