Mormonism fails in teaching correct principles

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Mormonism fails in teaching correct principles

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I got this from the following website:
http://www.sciencemeetsreligion.org/lds ... lution.php

This LDS gent is really trying to get accurate information into the heads of LDS youth. He is mingling science with religion, but for the most part he is a good voice. He found this and I thought I would share it as he said he was trying to get the kids to think more accurately and with more correct information. Good luck to him for that, but GOOD for him for telling the LDS youth their attitude is all wrong when it comes to science. What we see below is the abject failure of LDS leaders to do the right thing and teach actual science instead of their emotional loathing over things they don't actually grasp........

The following are direct quotations from LDS college students when asked to express as honestly as possible their primary response to the concept of biological evolution. These were formulated before they had undertaken a thoughtful study of the subject.

Evolution has always been an insulting and unsettling idea to me.
The first thoughts that this theory brings to my mind provoke a feeling of disgust and disagreement. Evolution is nothing more to me than a thoughtless idea created to explain how man came to be.
I hate having to learn evolution in a biology class. I do not think professors should teach this kind of stuff.
To the natural man, evolution is both logical and acceptable, but as far as I am concerned, it is nothing but a foolish tale taught by the learned men of our day.
I am a child of God, not of an ape. When I think of evolution, my first feeling is of rage. The images that come to mind are of amoebas, of fish, and of apes. The only word I have to sum up my opinion of the subject is "sick." I am outraged that Charles Darwin would come up with [this] disgusting idea.
The concept of evolution is an insult to the human race. My ancestors don't have ape lineage running through their veins. ... Evolution is a negative, degrading, and faithless idea. I get upset with the scientists and researchers who are so discontent and unbelieving, as far as the religious aspects of their lives go, that they feel they must resort to their own explanations of where we come from.
As with many members of the Church, from the time I was young, I was warned that not everything I was taught in the world would be true. ... [Evolution] seemed a dark and evil concept, and I remember feeling as if I would be in danger if someone tried to teach it to me.
It seems that my logical mind is fighting my spiritual mind. I realize that the scientific world has come to accept the theory of evolution as the most probable explanation. I can see the logic in the theory. I feel a sort of loyalty to it for these reasons. But the Church which I believe in implicitly has informed me that this is not so. There is no evolution in the history of man. I can accept this. Unfortunately, the Church offered no alternative explanations to the question of how God created man without breaking the laws of nature to which He is subject.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."