As an ex-Mormon what is the meaning of life for you now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_pashaman
_Emeritus

Re: As an ex-Mormon what is the meaning of life for you now

Post by _pashaman »

aussieguy55 wrote: Turning agnostic. Belief in God? Tsunamis ? earthquakes? Drought? Seems God does not have much to do with us?

Good questions. I'm lost as can be without Mormonism. I fell hard. So hard, in fact, that I just don't discuss it with members of the church, because honestly, I don't want to shake anyone's faith and have them go through what I went through. Let them have their blissful ignorance for all I care. I even regret telling my wife, To be honest. Now, she's as lost as I am. by the way, it's pretty damn easy to shake the faith of your average church going Mormon. I just hate doing it.

aussieguy55 wrote: Just like to ask folk here. 1 Are you sure there is no God? 2.Can you be good without God? 3.Do you fear death?

I remember losing my faith in Mormonism and feeling my heart sink into despair. However, at one moment I remember thinking, "but I still want to be good." I had an actual holy ghost moment when I thought this, and remember thinking, "well, there must be something. Why should I be angry with god because some a-hole con-artist made up a religion and I was dumb enough to believe it?" I don't fear death. I fear pain. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to pain.

aussieguy55 wrote:Early in my life I lost my Dad when I was 9 in a fire and my mother was mentally hospitalised for a long time. Do I put it down to just "sh** Happens or did "God' have a plan for my life? Since then I have 4 daughters and 6 grandkids. I fear for them in what kind of world they will live in. I am 73 and these thoughts often occupy my mind. I got this far without any major disease or war in my life. What now? I watch a British comedy called Waiting to Die.

I share the same fears about my kids, brother. I totally understand.
I don't know if there is a god. I DO know, however, that I have ancestors. They may or may not still be out there, in spirit form, or whatever. I think I need to do my best to honor them. I like to imagine that they are really out there, with me, and sort of my guardian angels. Might be stupid, but it comforts me. My father was in a coma once, and the only thing he remembered was seeing all of his family and loved ones, some he knew and some he never met in this life, who were all around him. I've heard a few stories like that, and it gives me peace. I hope I don't disappoint them too much if that's the case. I'm part Scandinavian. I'm pretty sure some of my viking ancestors are already disappointed. I'm such a wimp, and I have never pillaged a village, though I HAVE downloaded a ton of pirated ebooks and movies. :-p
I don't always troll, but when I do, I troll the trolls.

┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/ ︵ ┻━┻
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Sadly, my exodus from the church really has caused a major divide in my already weak bond of marriage. It isn't the main reason for the divide but it certainly did cause a huge amount of permanent damage over the past 7 years.

But even with all of that going on, I would leave the church again in a heartbeat. It is the best decision I've ever made in my entire life. I'm so glad I left because I feel like an adult that is free to make my own decisions and fulfill my own destiny and help my kids know they can absolutely do the same.

ETA - "major divide" as in legally divided
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

aussieguy55 wrote:Here everyone takes some aspect of Mormonism a religion some of us have spent time (wasted) with. We get angry at ourselves for getting sucked in and angry at a church for deluding us.

What do we replace it with? I tried to return to the Lutheran church I was raised in then the Pentecostals which my wife went to. the first was boring and the other exhausting to the intellectual mind. Too much reading about archaeology and the Bible loosened my belief system there. No Exodus or Conquest according to Finkelstein? How much of the Bible is reliable?

Turning agnostic. Belief in God? Tsunamis ? earthquakes? Drought? Seems God does not have much to do with us?

Once read an article "Can we be good without God" There are plenty of people who do good without religion in Amnesty International, Greenpeace Save the Children etc. Look at the Nordic countries where religion is a low priority where while they have a high tax rate everyone benefits. In the US where God reigns it is supposed to be trickle down economics. The Pentecostals and the Mormons and others tell us how happy they are since they found Jesus or the Mormon gospel. YouTube has a bunch of videos of these so called happy people

Just like to ask folk here. 1 Are you sure there is no God? 2.Can you be good without God? 3.Do you fear death?

Early in my life I lost my Dad when I was 9 in a fire and my mother was mentally hospitalised for a long time. Do I put it down to just "sh** Happens or did "God' have a plan for my life? Since then I have 4 daughters and 6 grandkids. I fear for them in what kind of world they will live in. I am 73 and these thoughts often occupy my mind. I got this far without any major disease or war in my life. What now? I watch a British comedy called Waiting to Die.

The Meaning of Life, a typical question dreamed up by religions. A question ready made for religions to posit their ready made answer.

Since I've stopped believing in God I've come to realize that all the evidences that were displayed for the existence of god, are merely gossimer wings of fantasy. The "watchmaker" hasn't made any watches. There is no one controlling or guiding or foretelling our futures. God is as real as any nightmare for a small child or the dreams of a sleeping dog.

When I was a TBM I formulated Mormon fantasies to fit my distorted picture of reality. I didn't need proof,I "knew".

Is there proof there is a God? Less than there is for Santa Claus. At least I can visit Santa every December in my local shopping mall. It gets a little weird when I, an elderly, retired old man try to sit on his lap. But at least he listens and tells me I'll get everything I ask for. God hasn't been that good in getting back to me with any answers.

The meaning of life? I'll try to give you an answer tomorrow.....if I wake up.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC