Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3500 Year Old Abraham Autograph

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3500 Year Old Abraham Autograph

Post by _Shulem »

zerinus wrote:I don’t need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is the word of God; any more than I need to know Hebrew to know that the Bible is the word of God.

Mormons aren't concerned with facts or scientific certainty. An investigator starts out by making friends with missionaries and listening to interesting religious discussions and claims, being persuaded to pray and get a good feeling. Once the candidate gets a good feeling and feels a sense of enlightenment -- a testimony is born. It's based on feelings and impressions from a mind that is subjected to inward/outward suggestion coupled with brain chemicals to include dopamine and serotonin.

Egyptologists and scientists are only concerned with the facts and make determinations on real data rather than subjective feelings or so-called spiritual impressions fed by brain chemicals. Egyptologists are able to read the hieroglyphic writing on Facsimile No. 3 and will produce accurate translation. Joseph Smith was not able to read the writing on Facsimile No. 3 and can say anything he wants it to be and his followers will call it the word of god. Welcome to the cult!
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

zerinus wrote:I don’t need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is the word of God

I need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is not the word of god.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

zerinus wrote:I don’t need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is the word of God

The Book of Abraham
Translated from the Papyrus, by Joseph Smith
A Facsimile from the Book of Abraham No. 3

Explanation

Fig. 2. King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head.

That's quite a claim by Joseph Smith who pretended to read Egyptian and get revelations. According to your so-called "word of god", what is the king's name written in the characters above the head?

What is the name, zerinus? Speak up, I can't hear you! Can your god read Egyptian? Don't you Mormons get revelations? Come on, put up or shut up. How about Thomas Monson? He's a prophet, seer, and translator -- can he read the name? Yes or no?

Fig. 5. Shulem, one of the king’s principal waiters, as represented by the characters above his hand.

Where in those characters is the name "Shulem" contained? Isn't this simply more of your so-called "word of god" gone afoul? Your word of god is nothing more than a song and a dance in the mind of Joseph Smith who suckered his people with lies. You Mormons will believe anything -- gullible and ignorant.

Be silent ye evil spirit. I rebuke you in the name of Egyptology!
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Shulem wrote:Mormons aren't concerned with facts or scientific certainty.
Religion is a matter of faith, not of "science". If you have invented a god for yourself called "scientific certainty," you are welcome to it; but it is a false god. It is nothing more than an idol. There is a real God, however, who can only be known by faith; and who can reveal "truths" that science cannot reveal.

An investigator starts out by making friends with missionaries and listening to interesting religious discussions and claims, being persuaded to pray and get a good feeling. Once the candidate gets a good feeling and feels a sense of enlightenment -- a testimony is born. It's based on feelings and impressions from a mind that is subjected to inward/outward suggestion coupled with brain chemicals to include dopamine and serotonin.
If that is how you want to see it, you have that choice. There is nothing more that can be said. We part ways. But we will meet again someday, at a place called the "judgement bar," when you will know with "certainty" that is better than "scientific" that there was a real God whom you missed---with regrettable consequences.

Egyptologists and scientists are only concerned with the facts and make determinations on real data rather than subjective feelings or so-called spiritual impressions fed by brain chemicals.
Except that there are certain "facts" that cannot be known or discovered by "science," or for that matter by "Egyptology". They can only be known by faith, and by a revelation from God.

Egyptologists are able to read the hieroglyphic writing on Facsimile No. 3 and will produce accurate translation. Joseph Smith was not able to read the writing on Facsimile No. 3 and can say anything he wants it to be and his followers will call it the word of god. Welcome to the cult!
You and your "Egyptology" are not as omniscient as they thing they are. They may have discovered some truth, but not all truth. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing," is a well-known proverb. They have discovered some knowledge, and they think the know everything. I don't think that they do.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Shulem wrote:I need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is not the word of god.
No you don't. The "Egyptology" that you rely on so much is not as foolproof as you think it is. There is a better way of discovering truth that never goes wrong. "Egyptology" doesn't even come close.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

zerinus wrote:You and your "Egyptology" are not as omniscient as they thing they are. They may have discovered some truth, but not all truth. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing," is a well-known proverb. They have discovered some knowledge, and they think the know everything. I don't think that they do.

Egyptology makes no claims to being omniscient but we CAN in FACT read the writing contained on the vignette known as Facsimile No. 3 and do so with a high degree of accuracy. Your "some" and "all" comparison is an old apologetic trick, an attempt to weaken my scientifically proven argument against yours which is dead on arrival. Egyptology has proven Joseph Smith's Explanations to be positively false. You have to deal with that and continue to sear your conscience and deny reality.

What is dangerous is denying truth born out of facts. You have seared your conscience with a hot iron and deny science and Egyptology all for the purpose of serving your make-believe imaginary friend in whom you call, god. That is what is dangerous! You are a peddler of garbage!
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Shulem wrote:
The Book of Abraham
Translated from the Papyrus, by Joseph Smith
A Facsimile from the Book of Abraham No. 3

Explanation

Fig. 2. King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head.
That's quite a claim by Joseph Smith who pretended to read Egyptian and get revelations. According to your so-called "word of god", what is the king's name written in the characters above the head?

What is the name, zerinus? Speak up, I can't hear you! Can your god read Egyptian? Don't you Mormons get revelations? Come on, put up or shut up. How about Thomas Monson? He's a prophet, seer, and translator -- can he read the name? Yes or no?

Fig. 5. Shulem, one of the king’s principal waiters, as represented by the characters above his hand.
Where in those characters is the name "Shulem" contained? Isn't this simply more of your so-called "word of god" gone afoul? Your word of god is nothing more than a song and a dance in the mind of Joseph Smith who suckered his people with lies. You Mormons will believe anything -- gullible and ignorant.

Be silent ye evil spirit. I rebuke you in the name of Egyptology!
I trust that what Joseph Smith taught was true. If your "Egyptology" says that it isn't, then I mistrust your "Egyptology" rather than Joseph Smith. I don't believe that your "Egyptology" has advanced enough to be able to solve every mystery therein.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

zerinus wrote:I trust that what Joseph Smith taught was true.

I thought you knew without a doubt?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

zerinus wrote:
Shulem wrote:I need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is not the word of god.
No you don't. The "Egyptology" that you rely on so much is not as foolproof as you think it is. There is a better way of discovering truth that never goes wrong. "Egyptology" doesn't even come close.

Facsimile No. 3 is accurately read by Egyptologists today, including Mormon Egyptologist John Gee. We can read the writing. We can interpret the figures. We know who the gods are and what the rite and ceremony is that is being portrayed and it's nothing at all what Joseph Smith claimed.

You have to deal with that. Egyptology has rebuked you and proven that the inspiration of Mormonism is false. I know it with every fiber of my being -- 100% sure that your religion is false and the revelations pertaining to the Book of Abraham are a total scam. You are a peddler of lies and a dishonorable person of the lowest degree. I think you are evil.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Shulem wrote:Egyptology makes no claims to being omniscient but we CAN in FACT read the writing contained on the vignette known as Facsimile No. 3 and do so with a high degree of accuracy. Your "some" and "all" comparison is an old apologetic trick, an attempt to weaken my scientifically proven argument against yours which is dead on arrival. Egyptology has proven Joseph Smith's Explanations to be positively false. You have to deal with that and continue to sear your conscience and deny reality.

What is dangerous is denying truth born out of facts. You have seared your conscience with a hot iron and deny science and Egyptology all for the purpose of serving your make-believe imaginary friend in whom you call, god. That is what is dangerous! You are a peddler of garbage!
You are talking nonsense. You know a little bit, and you think you know everything. "Science" proves nothing of the kind. There are many truths that cannot be known by "science," but by the revelations of God.You can knock your head against that wall forever; but it won't alter that fact.