Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3500 Year Old Abraham Autograph

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3500 Year Old Abraham Autograph

Post by Philo Sofee »

Remember poor Zerinus in this massively informative thread? Here was a comment that escaped me then, but now that I have been researching, has some serious consequences...
Zerinus
firstly, how does the identification of the mummies as of Egyptian royalty affect the credibility of his translation of the Book of Abraham one way or another?
It devastates Joseph Smith as he entirely misidentified the mummy, and the time the mummy lived. Joseph Smith's literalism is the entire culprit to today's apologists efforts to save Joseph Smith from reality of our actual knowledge today. That knowledge directly contradicts Joseph Smith's every single interpretation of both the mummies and the papyri, their relationship to anything Smith thought, and his fundamentally mistaken translation of their meaning.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Clark Goble who was always reaonable
I think some apologists want a silver bullet. For theological reasons I don't think there ever will be one until such matters are pointless. But I certainly agree a constant problem in contemporary apologetics has been overhyping elements that at best are part of a circumstantial argument.
Very well said. Mormons have the circumstantial argument, while the rest of us have the substantial evidence for the actual argument...Joseph Smith blew it with his translation.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:01 am
Remember poor Zerinus in this massively informative thread? Here was a comment that escaped me then, but now that I have been researching, has some serious consequences...
Zerinus
firstly, how does the identification of the mummies as of Egyptian royalty affect the credibility of his translation of the Book of Abraham one way or another?
It devastates Joseph Smith as he entirely misidentified the mummy, and the time the mummy lived. Joseph Smith's literalism is the entire culprit to today's apologists efforts to save Joseph Smith from reality of our actual knowledge today. That knowledge directly contradicts Joseph Smith's every single interpretation of both the mummies and the papyri, their relationship to anything Smith thought, and his fundamentally mistaken translation of their meaning.
What if it was akin to the tired and parched Saints trudging across Missouri and saying, "Give us a miracle Brother Joseph", and Joseph stopping and pointing toward the hill. "You see those rocks up yonder? Over there was the Garden of Eden."

Assigning the mummy a name helped bolster the weary Saints. It mattered not to them if the body was not that of Roger Rabbit, since it at least had a name. It helped spur the Saints on into investing in Acme Studios and you know the rest of that story. Toon Town, the Prophet Judge Dredd, and the coming of Jessica Rabbit. The Saints live that they might have joy and pay tithing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:45 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:01 am

What if it was akin to the tired and parched Saints trudging across Missouri and saying, "Give us a miracle Brother Joseph", and Joseph stopping and pointing toward the hill. "You see those rocks up yonder? Over there was the Garden of Eden."

Assigning the mummy a name helped bolster the weary Saints. It mattered not to them if the body was not that of Roger Rabbit, since it at least had a name. It helped spur the Saints on into investing in Acme Studios and you know the rest of that story. Toon Town, the Prophet Judge Dredd, and the coming of Jessica Rabbit. The Saints live that they might have joy and pay tithing.
Yes, bolstering folks who have been sucked into the misuse and miscontexting of actual history is correctable. But we have to do so with evidence. And we have boatloads of it.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3,500-Year-Old Abraham Autograph

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am Philo Soffee, and I approve this message.....
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

It is good Anubis was freed from that LDS slave status because of his dark skin.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:07 am
It is good Anubis was freed from that LDS slave status because of his dark skin.
:lol: great way to put it! Yeah the Egyptians had him in his correct spot, as a God... Mormons, as usual, blew it.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

bump
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

bump