Hamula released from 1st Quorum of 70, no longer a member

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Hamula released from 1st Quorum of 70, no longer a member

Post by _CameronMO »

I saw this story on another forum, thought I'd share here.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/08/h ... 3-decades/

lds.org wrote:August 8, 2017: This morning James J. Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following Church disciplinary action by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

Elder James J. Hamula was sustained as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 5, 2008. At the time of his call, he had been serving as an Area Seventy in the North America Southwest Area.

From 2009 to 2014, Elder Hamula was a member of the Pacific Area Presidency, headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand. During three of these five years, Elder Hamula served as Area President. Upon his return to Church headquarters, Elder Hamula served as Assistant Executive Director of the Church History Department from 2014 to 2016. He currently serves as Executive Director of the Correlation Department.

Elder Hamula received a bachelor of arts degree in political science and philosophy from Brigham Young University in 1981. He graduated magna cum laude with highest honors. In 1985, he received both a master of arts degree in political philosophy and a juris doctorate degree from Brigham Young University. From 1985 until his call to be a General Authority, Elder Hamula practiced law.

Elder Hamula has served in a number of Church callings, including full-time missionary in the Germany Munich Mission, bishop, Young Men president, stake president, president of the Washington D.C. South Mission (1994–1997), and Area Seventy (2000–2008).

James Joseph Hamula was born in Long Beach, California, on November 20, 1957. He married Joyce Anderson in April 1984. They are the parents of six children.

https://www.lds.org/church/leader/james ... a?lang=eng
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Hamula released from 1st Quorum of 70, no longer a membe

Post by _Maksutov »

Didn't he have his calling and election made sure? Or not?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Maksutov wrote:Didn't he have his calling and election made sure? Or not?

Good point. I don't know.

I'd also like to know if he gets to keep collecting his "modest stipend" of $10k per month for life.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Do we know for certain that said "disciplinary action" was, in fact, excommunication?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Kishkumen wrote:Do we know for certain that said "disciplinary action" was, in fact, excommunication?

According to The Tribune:

...[T]he church did confirm Hamula was no longer a member of the church and that his ouster was not for apostasy.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
...[T]he church did confirm Hamula was no longer a member of the church and that his ouster was not for apostasy.

Thanks, Steuss. If I had looked carefully, I would have noticed that the link and the quoted article were two different pieces.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Sorry, Kishkumen. My bad. I was trying to bring his biography into the thread.

Here's something from KSL

KSL.com wrote:SALT LAKE CITY — The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the LDS Church on Tuesday excommunicated a member of the Quorum of the Seventy who had been serving as the executive director of the church’s Correlation Department.

"This morning, James J. Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following church disciplinary action by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45338970&nid=968
_Jonah
_Emeritus

Post by _Jonah »

The church sure was quick to point out that "his ouster was not for apostasy". Good to know he was TBM all the way to the end. Since he hasn't been arrested for murder, I'll put my money on some sort of "laying on of hands" involvement that was not the "blessing" kind.

Just sayin'
Red flags look normal when you're wearing rose colored glasses.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

CameronMO wrote:Sorry, Kishkumen. My bad. I was trying to bring his biography into the thread.

No need to apologize. I could have paid closer attention!
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

The very fact the church feels the need to clarify the excommunication was "not for apostasy" makes me suspicious.

But then, I admit I have tended to become suspicious of these types of announcements.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)