A Test on The POWER of Prayer

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

A Test on The POWER of Prayer

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Hurricane Irma is currently on a direct path towards Florida and depending on when a high pressure system moves, will determine when Irma will be able to turn from an West by Northwest trajectory to a North by northeast path.

So I propose a test of the Power of Prayer. I suggest that those who believe in the power of prayer to pray with all of their might to what ever God they believe in to move that high pressure system NOW thus allowing Irma to turn North thus avoiding the hurricane from making contact with Florida and the American continent.

However this test come with a risk. If Irma fails to turn...and does follow it's current projected course into Florida...it will also demonstrate the futility of Prayer.

Let the test begin...we will soon discover if Prayer Works...and if it does I'm willing to reexamine my conclusions on the existence of God.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Viriatu
_Emeritus

Re: A Test on The POWER of Prayer

Post by _Viriatu »

:rolleyes:
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

Craig Paxton wrote:Hurricane Irma is currently on a direct path towards Florida and depending on when a high pressure system moves, will determine when Irma will be able to turn from an West by Northwest trajectory to a North by northeast path.

So I propose a test of the Power of Prayer. I suggest that those who believe in the power of prayer to pray with all of their might to what ever God they believe in to move that high pressure system NOW thus allowing Irma to turn North thus avoiding the hurricane from making contact with Florida and the American continent.

However this test come with a risk. If Irma fails to turn...and does follow it's current projected course into Florida...it will also demonstrate the futility of Prayer.

Let the test begin...we will soon discover if Prayer Works...and if it does I'm willing to reexamine my conclusions on the existence of God.

:lol:
Pretty sure you are in violation of many guidelines given by the Lord concerning prayer.

- 2 Nephi 4:35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.

- James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

- D&C 8:10 Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; do not ask for that which you ought not.

- D&C 88:64 Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you;
65 And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation.

But maybe you're a much more perfect person than I'm giving you credit for and D&C 50 would apply:
- D&C 50:29 And if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you will in the name of Jesus and it shall be done.

But then maybe we can use your test to learn something.
I have a testimony of Christ. Perhaps I should prophesy in the name of the Lord that your amiss prayer will go unfulfilled.
When it does, that will prove me a prophet won't it?
Too bad I don't like to play sacrilegious games...
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Mother nature is the god of this earth. Mormon god, Christian god, Muslim god, and all the other gods can't do a thing with regards to Irma. They neither see, nor hear, or walk. They are merely gods of the imagination.

The Mormon prophets are an utter joke. They neither prophesy, they see not the future, and they have no special revelations that can be verified. Their prayers to thwart mother nature are nothing more than the workings of a frenzied mind believing in something they do not see -- only faith in something they hope for.

They pray as if it's a crapshoot and when they win they claim a miracle and when they lose they claim it's god's will to test them. What a joke!
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

JLHPROF wrote:But then maybe we can use your test to learn something.
I have a testimony of Christ. Perhaps I should prophesy in the name of the Lord that your amiss prayer will go unfulfilled.

How telling! I believe you DO love to play sacrilegious games but are afraid to admit it and even more afraid to do so. What, are you afraid it will offend the Spirit and displease the Lord?

The spirit of the devil has already come among you. You might as well give in. It's too late for you. The well is poisoned. The Holy Ghost is not abiding in you. You have the spirit of contention. Your testimony days are numbered. You'll break. I know it.

_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Craig Paxton wrote:Hurricane Irma is currently on a direct path towards Florida and depending on when a high pressure system moves, will determine when Irma will be able to turn from an West by Northwest trajectory to a North by northeast path.

Great test! And it worked for me. I live here in Sweden and Irma won't come close to Sweden. Conclusion: prayer works
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Hey Harvey victims!!!
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I have a better test.

Group 1 - Say prayers and donate money to the effort.
Group 2 - Do not say prayers and donate money to the effort.

See if recipients favour the Group 1’s donations.

This test will work better if everyone takes part.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

JLHPROF wrote:

Pretty sure you are in violation of many guidelines given by the Lord concerning prayer.

- 2 Nephi 4:35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.

- James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

- D&C 8:10 Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; do not ask for that which you ought not.

- D&C 88:64 Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you;
65 And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation.

But maybe you're a much more perfect person than I'm giving you credit for and D&C 50 would apply:
- D&C 50:29 And if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you will in the name of Jesus and it shall be done.

But then maybe we can use your test to learn something.

"What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them” (Mark 11:24).

I might add...that I desire Florida and the rest of America to be spared...and I pray god that it happens...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

UPDATE: I've been praying all after noon for Irma to change course and head North-East away from the American continent..so far my prayers and the prayers of millions of others are having no effect on the hurricane's present course...please prayer harder...that MUST be the problem