Can the LDS Church successfully loosen its grip?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Can the LDS Church successfully loosen its grip?

Post by _RockSlider »

Runtu wrote:A few years ago, I was discussing this with a friend who left the church at roughly the time I did. We thought the church had two choices: open up at least somewhat, or circle the wagons. Since then, we've both concluded that the church is trying to do both at the same time. On the one hand, they are trying to open up a little about the thornier bits of church history and doctrine, though personally I think they have engaged in too much spin that has been, on occasion, quite misleading. On the other hand, there seems to be a determined effort to narrow the field of acceptable behavior and thought in the church. It's harder, for example, to support the rights of same-sex couples without bumping up against the boundaries of acceptable church behavior.

Where will it end? I don't know. I think the main conclusion is that the church has tried to reassert control over a narrative they were losing. And if it takes some loosening and tightening at the same time to regain control, so be it.

It's a major balancing act between:

1. not losing the baby boomer generation by going left (tithing dollars are all here for the time being).
2. not losing the millennials/newer generations by not providing a left.

It will remain more old school orthodox for now, constantly moving more nuanced over time as the baby boomers die off.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

sock puppet wrote:
So to stem the tide, can the LDS Church take that hard left turn and soften its teachings and widen its net? or is it too rutted in its old ways?

I wouldn't expect the church to change from the accepted doctrines and practices that are in place today. Especially the core teachings of Christ's atonement, baptism, repentance, sin, obedience to commandments, nature and being of God, marriage between a man and a woman, temple ordinances, families are forever doctrine, pre-mortal and post-mortal life teachings, and resurrection of mankind. I'm sure there are others, but that's a start.

So, rutted in its old ways? Yes. But again, I don't think I would expect anything else. Otherwise, how would you be able to say it's Christ's church? He's not going to go changing everything just because some folks want to change it up to meet their expectations and/or understanding of doctrine, etc.

Regards,
MG
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

mentalgymnast,

Having taken out my endowments in 1980 and being an ordinance worker twice a week for over eight years the first thing I had to lay upon the shelf was the constant changing of the endowment. The days when 'doctrine' was BRM's Mormon Doctrine. The days of Eternal Progression seem to be gone. The definition of Exaltation in the highest kingdom of the Celestial (7th heaven) seem long gone. The days of the less valiant in the pre-mortal ending up in Ethiopia are long past (thankfully). I not sure there is one thing on your list that has not changed already. What is to keep it from changing more? Well that would not be the likes of Bushman (we need a new narrative) or Given's (its whatever you want it to be).

The movement towards acceptance of a non-historical Book of Mormon will continue. The movement away from orthodoxy to orthopraxy will continue.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

RockSlider wrote:mentalgymnast,

I not sure there is one thing on your list that has not changed already.

I really don't think they have changed in any way that impacts the efficacy and/or meaning of the doctrines. They aren't going anywhere.

But I respect the fact that you believe that the changes in the endowment are meaningful in the overall scheme of things as far as what the endowment represents, etc.

I don't believe that to be the case.

Again, the things I've listed are here to stay.

Although I would agree with those that maintain that cultural/operational practices and/or policies have and will continue to evolve. That can be shown to have happened here and there throughout the church's history.

Regards,
MG
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

By the time a Millenial will take over the Church Presidency a hundred years from now, Church policy might mirror the late 1990's attitudes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Church leadership does need to do loosen things up a bit. Tightening the grip just results in more members being squeezed out.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I would like to see the LDS Church become more accepting. I think that as long as the Quorum of the 12 consists of elderly white men, it is going to be difficult to see the Church policies pass that will allow this to happen. I think that if the Church broadens its priesthood leadership to include more younger members, and minorities, and that includes women, then the Church has a chance to evolve in a more positive direction.

So far God hasn't displayed any colour blindness. The only candidates he can find to fill the top positions are white. Even when young(er) candidates names are put forward they all end up being roughly the same age (old) before having any say in matters. White and old. Not much room for new thinking.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Having taken out my endowments in 1980 and being an ordinance worker twice a week for over eight years the first thing I had to lay upon the shelf was the constant changing of the endowment. The days when 'doctrine' was Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine. The days of Eternal Progression seem to be gone. The definition of Exaltation in the highest kingdom of the Celestial (7th heaven) seem long gone. The days of the less valiant in the pre-mortal ending up in Ethiopia are long past (thankfully). I not sure there is one thing on your list that has not changed already. What is to keep it from changing more? Well that would not be the likes of Bushman (we need a new narrative) or Given's (its whatever you want it to be).

The movement towards acceptance of a non-historical Book of Mormon will continue. The movement away from orthodoxy to orthopraxy will continue.
Question Rockslider...in your TBM days..in your early Temple days..even the first time..did you ever wonder that God would require secret signs, names and passwords?? This question if for all of you. I was trying to prepare for the Temple when my testimony fell apart. I was sealed to family at age 9...but that is all I really know about the actual Temple experience I know some women who at the time of the endowments wanting to just run...and could not. To me now..it sounds like a ritual for a club. I hope I haven't offended anyone.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Tator wrote:No loosening anytime soon. The Salt Lake City Mormons don't have the same powers of discernment as the Community of Christ.

I agree with this. I think that Community of Christ has a much better perspective from what I have observed.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

candygal wrote:

Having taken out my endowments in 1980 and being an ordinance worker twice a week for over eight years the first thing I had to lay upon the shelf was the constant changing of the endowment. The days when 'doctrine' was Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine. The days of Eternal Progression seem to be gone. The definition of Exaltation in the highest kingdom of the Celestial (7th heaven) seem long gone. The days of the less valiant in the pre-mortal ending up in Ethiopia are long past (thankfully). I not sure there is one thing on your list that has not changed already. What is to keep it from changing more? Well that would not be the likes of Bushman (we need a new narrative) or Given's (its whatever you want it to be).

Question Rockslider...in your TBM days..in your early Temple days..even the first time..did you ever wonder that God would require secret signs, names and passwords?? This question if for all of you. I was trying to prepare for the Temple when my testimony fell apart. I was sealed to family at age 9...but that is all I really know about the actual Temple experience I know some women who at the time of the endowments wanting to just run...and could not. To me now..it sounds like a ritual for a club. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

No offense at all. What seemed to be a huge incongruence for me was that in the Book of Mormon, they talk about secret societies and evil people using signs, handshakes, etc. And then, you go to the temple and there are all kinds of tokens, etc.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB