BYU Finally Sells Caffeinated Beverages.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: BYU Finally Sells Caffeinated Beverages.

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Maksutov wrote:The one not far from my house always has a packed drive-through. So the Lord can't have hot stimulus but some debilitating diabetes is a-okay. :rolleyes:

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article ... y-soda-war

Note: Swig has a store near Helaman Halls.

Oh. My. God. I just got diabetes from reading that article. The #1 rule of anyone remotely interested in any level of fitness isn't to drink your calories.

My order's finally up and I try not to cringe as I take my first sip of the foamy, blazing Barbie-pink elixir in front of me. I start off with The Missionary, the namesake of Salt Lake City's Mormon missionaries. It's my first encounter with Utah's notorious beverage of choice. Forty-four ounces of Sprite, coconut creamer, and a healthy dose of watermelon-strawberry-coconut Torani syrup. It's absolutely as saccharine as it sounds. I attempt to discern individual flavors in the beverage, but I can only picture cotton candy that's been liquified, carbonated, and splashed with coconut concentrate.

I mean, are you telling me that a church that is supposedly led by God and has a strict dietary obedience test for its members can't just tell its members that obesity and diabetes are literally destroying their bodies and to, you know, rein that ____ in a bit?

From a SL Tribune article:

Pakalawi holds up her current "Frequent Swigger" punch card — which rewards her with a free drink for every 10 she buys. This is her 205th card, meaning she's downed more than 2,000 Swig drinks since the Lehi location opened last year.

At Swig, Pakalawi says, she's treated like a VIP.

Just the quick math on one drink:

44 oz Sprite - 490 cals
1 pump of torani syrup - 20 cals
1 tbsp of coconut creamer - 50 cals

Knowing how these establishments are liberal with their pumps and creamers I have no doubt one drink probably is in the vicinity of 700 cals. 700.

If you're a woman, 5'5", medium build, moderately active your BMR is probably 1600-1800. In ONE drink you've just consumed almost half of your calories and sent your insulin into ____ ing orbit.

C'mon. And the LDS church is worried about tea and coffee???

- Doc

Agreed. I'm the first to admit, I have a horrible Pepsi habit. I know I consume way too much. I have actively cut back quite a bit, though. And guess how? By drinking coffee in the morning. LOL I find that if I drink a little bit of coffee, I don't crave Pepsi the way I used to.

I also have a glass of red wine with dinner or in the evening. My doctor actually suggested I start doing that. It's heart healthy, and just de-stresses me after a long day.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _sock puppet »

Ah, the Pharisaical hair splitting of the LDS.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Shulem wrote:October 1975 Q&A: Questions and Answers

“Is it against Church standards to drink cola beverages or any other beverage containing caffeine?”

Answer/Bishop H. Burke Peterson

We know that cola drinks contain the drug caffeine. We know caffeine is not wholesome nor prudent for the use of our bodies. It is only sound judgment to conclude that cola drinks and any others that contain caffeine or other harmful ingredients should not be used.

:lol:

Until you finally realize how much money you are losing by not selling them on Campus.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I remember the first Ward potluck I attended where they had caffeinated Pepsi and Coke right on the buffet table next to the Sprite and diet drinks. I was a little shocked but pleased. I almost took a picture. LOL
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Matthew 15:11. Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

goeth defileth cometh &defileth again

got it? are you a perfect jacobean/elisabethian?
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

One could make a very good argument that this decision runs contrary to the spirit of the Word Of Wisdom, which is about being healthy and avoiding consumption of items damaging to ones physical well being.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:If you're a woman, 5'5", medium build, moderately active your BMR is probably 1600-1800. In ONE drink you've just consumed almost half of your calories and sent your insulin into ____ ing orbit.
- Doc

This is why students should ask the BYU Food Services to carry the low-calorie nonalcoholic Pele Ale.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

moksha wrote:This is why students should ask the BYU Food Services to carry the low-calorie nonalcoholic Pele Ale.

Score great taste with Pele Ale until your world cup runneth over. It's a real kick!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Mormon Stories podcast on selling Coke at BYU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6L8z1TyUP0

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/297600.php

How Coca-Cola affects your body when you drink it

I haven't consumed a cola drink since I read this article and probably only a couple of non-phosphorus sodas in the last 2 years. I have been losing weight slow but steady in the last two years with very simple changes. I replaced it with H2O, unsweetened ice tea, herb teas, and small quantities of fruit and/or vegetable juice.

There is only two diets that really work. 1st is do more and eat less and 2nd diet is eat less and do more. Definitely this is over simplication of the process. I am doing a few strategic nutritional supplements.

On a subject (methylation) that DrW touched on is something I am working on with my self and my grandson. I did the "23 and me" on him and run the results through a medical program that finds and interprets the data. My 12 year old grandson is ADHD, has Aspergers and slew of other acronyms. The results showed his body does not convert folic acid and B12 into the methyl form. With supplements of methyl foliate and methyl form of B12 he has made tremendous progress. He is on many other nutritional supplements also. Teachers, doctors basically everyone around him has noticed the improvements. His has ran out of some of the supplements a few times and in one day everyone notices differences, negative differences. The methyl issue is genetically common in Autism, Aspergers, ADHD and other problems. There have been great progress in this area of genetic research.

He is taking Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) mixed with a high grade protein powder which is very essential anyone with those problems. He all so takes a zinc chelate which research is showing children with autism are deficient in. He takes N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Taurine, L-Glutamine, and others. The Dr's have taken him off or reduced dosage of several of his Rxs.

I am taking everything he is just because, minus the Rxs. The weight is coming off me and he is gaining weight and the cravings (etc) are going away. I feel better.

Still researching for him and there is a lot happening in this field.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015