Monson & Hales will miss Gen. conference.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Monson & Hales will miss Gen. conference.

Post by _I have a question »

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/20 ... -sessions/

There will be two empty red velvet chairs at this weekend’s 187th Semiannual General Conference — including the one reserved for Mormonism’s top leader, Thomas S. Monson.
Slowed by advancing age and declining health, the 90-year-old president of the nearly 16 million-member global faith is in declining health and will not attend the twice-yearly gathering of Mormon faithful, the LDS Church said Thursday.
Neither will high-ranking Mormon apostle Robert D. Hales, who is in the hospital.

The increasing age and infirmity of the leadership group is a liability to the institution as a whole.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Monson & Hales will miss Gen. conference.

Post by _moksha »

Not only do they grow old, but some will even wear the bottoms of their trousers rolled. Fear not, many will dare eat a peach and when possible walk along the beach.

Those remaining will do their best to compensate. I imagine that Dieter Uchtdorf will continue to shine as the Christian torchbearer for the Brethren.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I've taken to calling it GenCon since everyone is dressing up in outfits and role playing parts in a grand space opera.

- Dec
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Gee, you'd think they'd know someone who could give them a priesthood blessing. Must have jack-Mormon home teachers.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Wife told me Dehlin started telling everyone that Monson died last night....then he deleted his comment. That was weird he spouted off on something he didn't know. Ah well. I hope they're doing well, and their nurses are being treated nicely.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Stem wrote:Wife told me Dehlin started telling everyone that Monson died last night....then he deleted his comment. That was weird he spouted off on something he didn't know. Ah well. I hope they're doing well, and their nurses are being treated nicely.

Perhaps you priesthood blessing deniers have spoken too soon?
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

RockSlider wrote:
Stem wrote:Wife told me Dehlin started telling everyone that Monson died last night....then he deleted his comment. That was weird he spouted off on something he didn't know. Ah well. I hope they're doing well, and their nurses are being treated nicely.

Perhaps you priesthood blessing deniers have spoken too soon?

If so I hope we hear about it this weekend. should get the masses all excited.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

They really ought to be allowed to be released so they can rest in their late years. But, having waited in line of authority for chocolates and whatever else they do, there has to be an almost worship of authority among them. So, change in this respect cannot be had through them.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

Stem wrote:Wife told me Dehlin started telling everyone that Monson died last night....then he deleted his comment. That was weird he spouted off on something he didn't know.

Not that weird.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

He apologized for jumping the gun. Now if we can just get Rosebud to post 10 pages of John Dehlin hate this would be awesome.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.