Elder Hales Just Passed Away.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Elder Hales Just Passed Away.

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I know he has been struggling with health issues lately. My heart goes out to his family:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... -away.html

What are the chances Elder Hales will be replaced by a Mexican, South American, Polynesian or other more racially diverse individual?

I would like to say I'm optimistic, but I'm not holding my breath.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Hales Just Passed Away.

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

He should be replaced by a Brazilian.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:What are the chances Elder Hales will be replaced by a Mexican, South American, Polynesian or other more racially diverse individual?.

0%. He'll be replaced by a White, American born, Wasatch front millionaire whose wife loves to wear pastel colors.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:What are the chances Elder Hales will be replaced by a Mexican, South American, Polynesian or other more racially diverse individual?.

0%. He'll be replaced by a White, American born, Wasatch front millionaire whose wife loves to wear pastel colors.

(Sigh...)

I'm only sighing because it's probably true.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Viriatu
_Emeritus

Post by _Viriatu »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:He should be replaced by a Brazilian.

- Doc

I would love this. Elder Claudio Costa would be a great choice and his name came up quite a bit two years ago when there were three vacancies. He's been a Seventy for 23-ish years and is 68 years old.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Viriatu wrote:

- Doc

I would love this. Elder Claudio Costa would be a great choice and his name came up quite a bit two years ago when there were three vacancies. He's been a Seventy for 23-ish years and is 68 years old.

How do you know "his name came up quite a bit"?
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I would like to say I'm optimistic, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't care about the race, all I want is a more transparent apostle. And what difference would it make if we get a Latino apostle? It is not like that would prevent Trump from winning Utah in 2020.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Elder Hales just died, but Elder Holland still has 100 thousand more likes on Facebook than him. When I was a believing Mormon I didn't have my favorites.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

- Doc

If they replace him with an African-American lesbian married to a woman, I might consider coming back to church.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo