If the Book of Mormon is true then, well, you gotta believe!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: If the Book of Mormon is true then, well, you gotta believe!

Post by _Lemmie »

z wrote:the testimony of credible witnesses is sufficient to establish a case, and God took the trouble of providing such witnesses

So let's evaluate, using legal principles, the credibility of the testimony and what exactly the witnesses attested to-specifically. You are opening quite a can of worms with that.
z wrote:But when you start accusing him of lying, of perpetrating a fraud, as the critics have been doing, then the burden of proof shifts on them, not on him or us
it has been pointed out to you several times that this thread is discussing a claim and the burden of proof for that claim.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Re: If the Book of Mormon is true then, well, you gotta beli

Post by _zerinus »

Dr. Shades wrote:I am a "Watcher," one of a race of godlike beings who are selected to incarnate into human bodies and live among sentient races to observe their goings-on and then report to our kindred on the progress of the race in question upon the death of our temporary mortal coils. As such, although my powers are nearly infinite, I must suppress them in order to fit in among you all.

That is my claim. If you think I'm lying, the burden of proof is on you, not me.
See my previous post. If you want to make that claim, that is okay, am not “accusing” you of anything. But if I did (assuming I took you seriously), then the burden of proof would be on me.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

zerinus wrote:God took the trouble of providing such witnesses so that no such accusations can reasonably be made.

Which one of the "credible witnesses" were capable of reading "reformed Egyptian"?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

zerinus wrote:If you don’t want to “believe,” that is okay, you have that choice, you are not obligated to. But when you start accusing him of lying, of perpetrating a fraud, as the critics have been doing, then the burden of proof shifts on them, not on him or us.

What are we supposed to make of Joseph Smith if we don't believe his story? Gordon B. Hinckley once said it is either true or a fraud, there is no middle ground. And when you have guys like the speaker at general conference challenging those who refuse to believe to explain themselves, how can we explain why we don't believe Joseph Smith's story without accusing him of fraud?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

I have a question wrote:It may have escaped your notice, but we aren’t talking about the American criminal justice system.
This isn’t a court of law.

Your ability to out-wrong yourself with every subsequent post, is duly noted.
You have a rare talent for talking nonsense. No further comment required.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

DarkHelmet wrote:
huckelberry wrote:I think people just get tired of reviewing the evidence because they do not believe Joseph Smiths witness nor the book.
We have a winner. Maybe if the "evidence" was believable we would, you know, believe it.
Not being able to “believe” him is one thing, accusing him of lying and perpetrating a fraud is another.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

For reference, here is the discussion we had the last time Callister gave this same talk and someone brought it up.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45805

The question I posed on that thread, to which no answer was forthcoming, was...
What would be the unique traits that would identify something as "God given"?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

zerinus wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:I am a "Watcher," one of a race of godlike beings who are selected to incarnate into human bodies and live among sentient races to observe their goings-on and then report to our kindred on the progress of the race in question upon the death of our temporary mortal coils. As such, although my powers are nearly infinite, I must suppress them in order to fit in among you all.

That is my claim. If you think I'm lying, the burden of proof is on you, not me.
See my previous post. If you want to make that claim, that is okay, am not “accusing” you of anything. But if I did (assuming I took you seriously), then the burden of proof would be on me.

Excellent! It looks like it is beginning to dawn on you, zerinus, what the thread is about--not accusations where presumption of innocence is an issue, but an entirely different thing-- discussions of a claim, for which the burden of proof is on the claimant.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Fence Sitter wrote:
zerinus wrote:God took the trouble of providing such witnesses so that no such accusations can reasonably be made.
Which one of the "credible witnesses" were capable of reading "reformed Egyptian"?
They were shown the plates by an angel, and the voice of God declared to them out of heaven that it was true.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Fence Sitter wrote:
z wrote:They were shown the plates by an angel, and the voice of God declared to them out of heaven that it was true.

And your proof of this?