Why Mormonism Cannot Win on the Marriage Issue

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Why Mormonism Cannot Win on the Marriage Issue

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The reason is obvious, the "Lord" doesn't have just one standard for marriage, that is, if the Bible has any value at all. The singular best response to Oaks I have ever seen. The graphic and scripture says it all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... phic_that/

And here is an even more complete graphic that nails their own jello to the wall.
https://imgur.com/a/1q9p1
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Re: Why Mormonism Cannot Win on the Marriage Issue

Post by _Wonhyo »

Yes, with our complicated history of marriage and the theological rhetoric regarding it, we seem to lack some street cred when it comes to traditional marriage.

One thing we can be assured of, however, is that nothing - no matter how unchangeable we might insist it is - is actually unchangeable. We have an Article of Faith that says as much in a roundabout way.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

Even those graphics seem to acknowledge that male/female is the only definition of marriage, regardless of numbers of females or status of either male or female.

So are they really varying "standards" of marriage or are they just variations on the male/female traditional marriage theme?
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Philo Sofee wrote:The reason is obvious, the "Lord" doesn't have just one standard for marriage, that is, if the Bible has any value at all. The singular best response to Oaks I have ever seen. The graphic and scripture says it all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... phic_that/

And here is an even more complete graphic that nails their own jello to the wall.
https://imgur.com/a/1q9p1

People mine the Bible for parts they like and agree with, and disregard the rest. If Mormons begin to care about what the Bible says, there would be a list a mile long of inconsistencies between what the church teaches and what the Bible actually says.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

If we really care about what the Bible says, shellfish is off the table!
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

JLHPROF wrote:Even those graphics seem to acknowledge that male/female is the only definition of marriage, regardless of numbers of females or status of either male or female.

So are they really varying "standards" of marriage or are they just variations on the male/female traditional marriage theme?

Wow, I'd love to hear your definition of a sandwich. No, seriously. Give it a try.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

bcuzbcuz wrote:
JLHPROF wrote:Even those graphics seem to acknowledge that male/female is the only definition of marriage, regardless of numbers of females or status of either male or female.

Wow, I'd love to hear your definition of a sandwich. No, seriously. Give it a try.

Food between slices of bread.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

If we really care about what the Bible says, shellfish is off the table!

Have it on the floor. Problem solved.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

fetchface wrote:If we really care about what the Bible says, shellfish is off the table!

Exactly why the Bible simply takes second place......shellfish is one of the best foods for you.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Philo Sofee wrote:Exactly why the Bible simply takes second place......shellfish is one of the best foods for you.
Unless, like my Dad, you are prone to gout. Then you can't have any. :cry:
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/