r/exmormon drama

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Re: r/exmormon drama

Post by _AmyJo »

I have a question wrote:
AmyJo wrote:I doubt TBM was trying to be insensitive although it appears that way to outsiders, in particular secular.

Mormon teachings are ingrained from a very early age on, and this is one of them. Their beliefs are deeply held and run deep.

How could any thinking adult not see that post as insensitive and resist posting it?

When has Mormon indoctrination been taught to be sensitive to others beliefs or to current events? It teaches members to interpret calamities as some demonstration of God's wrath upon the world. I don't believe the TBM who posted this is any less sensitive than the millions of Mormons who believe it and preach it from the pulpit. It's part of their dogma they're brought up to believe.

Mormons do have a distinct tendency to be insensitive, even downright arrogant that only they have the absolute god-given truth. Whether it's deliberate or not is traced to how they were taught from birth and yes those beliefs are deeply ingrained and held. They wouldn't care if they offend others as much as they might offend God. It's their duty to warn and forwarn of impending trouble if you don't keep all the commandments.

They put the fear of God into their members, literally.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

AmyJo wrote:I doubt TBM was trying to be insensitive although it appears that way to outsiders, in particular secular.

Mormon teachings are ingrained from a very early age on, and this is one of them. Their beliefs are deeply held and run deep.

There was a time I would have said the same thing as a TBM. And a part of me still holds onto the belief that if one doesn't honor the Sabbath day to keep it holy, the Lord God of Israel may withdraw his blessings for not obeying one of his covenants. That teaching in itself isn't strictly a Mormon one.

True. The Judeo/Christian/Muslim God is a real petty asshole. It is no surprise when his most ardent followers act like assholes themselves. Anyone following the example of the God of Abraham is almost certainly going to say and do terribly obnoxious, anti-social things. The so-called holy books require it.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I have to smile as I work a the big box store. I see more Mormons on Sunday than anyother day of the week...yes, I can tell who they are. I love the missionaries though that come in the middle of the week...they are from all over and yet here they are in one of the most Mormon counties in Utah...it must be kind of boring.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Craig Paxton wrote:What he said was stupid, sanctimonious and insensitive. Should his family be harassed? No should he lose his job? No. I'd hate to be held accountable in real life for some of my online comments. ..but then I've never used a national shooting tragedy to promote holier than thou religious views.

But it should also be pointed out that what he said was true. I think that's part of what makes people so mad.

Even if there is not God, the idea of a Sabbath has a 1/7 chance of helping people avoid events like this (assuming an equal chance for such events to occur on any day of the week) and in this case it happened to happen on a Sunday. It might annoy people to no end that some religionists can use this fact to support what they see as a false conception of God, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that he is correct.
_Phaedrus Ut
_Emeritus

Post by _Phaedrus Ut »

cinepro wrote:Even if there is not God, the idea of a Sabbath has a 1/7 chance of helping people avoid events like this (assuming an equal chance for such events to occur on any day of the week) and in this case it happened to happen on a Sunday. It might annoy people to no end that some religionists can use this fact to support what they see as a false conception of God, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that he is correct.

It's a difficult decision. A Jew or Seventh Day Adventist who observes the same biblical sabbath that Jesus observed is going to be safe on which day? The current anachronistic Sabbath switched to in the great apostasy or the same one from the 10 commandments.

Phaedrus
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

cinepro wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:What he said was stupid, sanctimonious and insensitive. Should his family be harassed? No should he lose his job? No. I'd hate to be held accountable in real life for some of my online comments. ..but then I've never used a national shooting tragedy to promote holier than thou religious views.

But it should also be pointed out that what he said was true. I think that's part of what makes people so mad.

Even if there is not God, the idea of a Sabbath has a 1/7 chance of helping people avoid events like this (assuming an equal chance for such events to occur on any day of the week) and in this case it happened to happen on a Sunday. It might annoy people to no end that some religionists can use this fact to support what they see as a false conception of God, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that he is correct.

Really? Is this the real Cinepro or a fake? The Keeping of the so called Sabbath had absolutely nothing to do with this event. Do you really think that if this concert had been held on a Saturday or a Monday it would have made a rat ass difference to the shooter? No he would have just killed everyone on a Saturday or a Monday instead of a Sunday. Come on bro The Doxxed poster was an ass for saying what he said. And what he said was not true in any sense of the word.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Craig Paxton wrote:Really? Is this the real Cinepro or a fake? The Keeping of the so called Sabbath had absolutely nothing to do with this event. Do you really think that if this concert had been held on a Saturday or a Monday it would have made a rat ass difference to the shooter? No he would have just killed everyone on a Saturday or a Monday instead of a Sunday. Come on bro The Doxxed poster was an ass for saying what he said. And what he said was not true in any sense of the word.

The tweet said:

"If the victims in the Las Vegas incident were observing the Sabbath Day, they would have been safe"

Assuming he meant the Christian/Sunday Sabbath, and "observing the Sabbath Day" includes not attending country music festivals in Las Vegas on the Sabbath, what part of that isn't true?
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

No different than what some have said about hurricanes and gays or others who they deem unworthy of living here on earth with the rest of us. It is simply despicable. These days there is gonna be blowback from freedom of speech. You are free to say whatever, but social pressure can be a bitch. A lot of people say stupid crap. It's never gonna stop.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

cinepro wrote:Assuming he meant the Christian/Sunday Sabbath, and "observing the Sabbath Day" includes not attending country music festivals in Las Vegas on the Sabbath, what part of that isn't true?

It gives a false sense of security that one of the many members who routinely bring guns with them to their wards may never go haywire and open fire on the crowd.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace