Joseph the King in Mormon Theology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph the King in Mormon Theology

Post by _moksha »

zerinus wrote:Having a testimony of the Book of Mormon is not dependent on one's geographical location.

But if you correlate having a testimony of the Book of Mormon together with a testimony of fry sauce you will notice the population clusters around the Intermountain West with the highest concentration being in Utah County. There is also a significant population cluster noted in Nampa, Idaho when the Book of Mormon testimony is correlated with the consumption of Tater Tots.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Good morning class, today we will be studying oxymorons...

zerinus wrote:One thing you have missed. I am not your typical TBM either. I am someone who knows that the Book of Mormon is true. That is the difference.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Benjamin Seeker
_Emeritus

Post by _Benjamin Seeker »

zerinus wrote:
Benjamin Seeker wrote:Intersting! I'd be curious to know what makes your testimony of the Book of Mormon different than the typical TBM. In my experience, most TBM's have a testimony of the Book of Mormon based on experiences with the Holy Ghost. However, I grew up out east so my experience may not reflect a Utah experience or location where a more LDS members are concentrated.
Having a testimony of the Book of Mormon is not dependent on one's geographical location. However, there is a difference between believing that the Book of Mormon is true and the word of God, which I am sure most TBM do; and getting to know the book itself, and gaining an abiding witness, assurance, conviction, and certainty of its truth, and hence of the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith. That is what I claim to have. When you have that kind of conviction about Joseph Smith, then you know that he is unlikely to have done something that was out of character with his prophetic calling, and therefore you tend to treat those kinds of stories with greater caution.

I thought maybe our experiences of what a TBM is differed because of our potentially differing geographical locations. I guess you're right that not all Mormons really get to know the Book of Mormon, but I certainly did. Anyways, the kind of testimony and skepticism of negative claims due to testimony is something a lot of church members experience. It is what I was referring to.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Benjamin Seeker wrote:I thought maybe our experiences of what a TBM is differed because of our potentially differing geographical locations. I guess you're right that not all Mormons really get to know the Book of Mormon, but I certainly did. Anyways, the kind of testimony and skepticism of negative claims due to testimony is something a lot of church members experience. It is what I was referring to.
The Book of Mormon is true, it is the word of God, no doubts about it. Joseph Smith was a prophet; he spoke with God, and God spoke with him, no question about it.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Zerinus wrote:One thing you have missed. I am not your typical TBM either. I am someone who knows that the Book of Mormon is true. That is the difference.

The typical TBM claims to know the Book of Mormon is true the same way you claim to know it's true. If the typical TBM doesn't know the Book of Mormon is true, yet believes they do and claims they do, then your claim to know it is true is suspect by your own statement.

You might as well have just announced the Book of Mormon is false. Way to go.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

zerinus wrote:The Book of Mormon is true, it is the word of God, no doubts about it. Joseph Smith was a prophet; he spoke with God, and God spoke with him, no question about it.

True true true. Totally true. Kind of true like Joseph Smith literally writing himself into the Bible.

Most guys with small dicks just go out and buy a truck. Not Joseph Smith! That wasn't good enough! He had to write himself into the Bible. THE Bible.

Lol. Z. You know nothing. You're just a dumb cow grazing along in life, dull-eyed, daft, and unaware.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

The Book of Mormon is fiction, it is not the word of God, no doubts about it. Joseph Smith was not a prophet; he never spoke with God, and God never spoke with him, no question about it.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Benjamin Seeker
_Emeritus

Post by _Benjamin Seeker »

Well, this has been fun.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Benjamin Seeker wrote:Well, this has been fun.
I agree.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Lol. Z. You know nothing. You're just a dumb cow grazing along in life, dull-eyed, daft, and unaware.

- Doc

DocCam, the more I listen to you, the more I'm convinced that you are a very narrow minded individual. If the way you respond to folks that don't think as you do is any indication of where you've arrived after rejecting Mormonism, I am saddened. The lack of respect that you continually demonstrate towards those that you consider to be "know nothing...dull-eyed, daft, and unaware...dumb cows" is, in itself, an eye opener to the type/kind of person you are. The time you spend here spouting off this kind of diatribe is revealing also.

What DRIVES you to do this? Don't you have better things to do than dedicate yourself to throwing mud at people?

Sheesh,
MG