If Priesthood Blessings work...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

If Priesthood Blessings work...

Post by _I have a question »

Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are being moved out of Madagascar following an outbreak of the plague in the Indian Ocean island nation, Church leaders announced Thursday, Oct. 19.

"Due to the emerging outbreak of plague in Madagascar, as a precautionary measure, the missionaries serving on the island of Madagascar are in the process of being transferred out of this area or temporarily reassigned to other missions," according to a Church statement released on Mormon Newsroom.

Plague cases have been rising in Madagascar. First detected in late August, the outbreak has reportedly infected about 800 people. To date, the outbreak has killed at least 74 people, according to The Guardian.

A total of 69 missionaries are being relocated or reassigned. An additional ten missionaries who are nearing the end of their mission service will return home. Missionaries from the Madagascar Antananarivo Mission who are serving on the islands of Mauritius and Reunion will remain.

"Ensuring the health and safety of our missionaries is our top priority. In recent weeks measures have been taken to reduce risk to missionaries, including providing them with prescription medication to help prevent plague and asking them to remain in their apartments," said Church leaders in the statement. "There are no reports of illness among the missionaries. Families are being notified as the missionaries are temporarily reassigned.

"This is a very challenging situation for the missionaries, members and citizens of these countries, and we are taking every practical step to reduce risk and praying for their health and safety."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... ascar.html

...why are missionaries being reassigned?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Re: If Priesthood Blessings work...

Post by _CameronMO »

Missionaries from the Madagascar Antananarivo Mission who are serving on the islands of Mauritius and Reunion will remain.

What about the missionaries on Comoros? Did they all go into the city of Moroni?
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I would think with the priesthood, missionaries would be sent there to heal that area, not flee from it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

It was the brethren's original plan to send the missionaries out to heal the plague victims but then Elder Bednar received a revelation that they didn't have enough faith not to be healed, so the blessings would have worked and then people wouldn't be able to have faith because after witnessing the miracle they would have knowledge instead and that would be bad for some reason.

So I bear my testimony that it all makes perfect sense and whatever happens proves that the church is true.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Philo Sofee wrote:I would think with the priesthood, missionaries would be sent there to heal that area, not flee from it.

One would think that. But, alas, the priesthood is not just impotent, its a mere fantasy.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

How about missionaries from other churches? Are they leaving as well or are they staying and ministering to those in need? From past experience I have seen missionaries of many faiths stay in areas to help the sick and afflicted even when they are not specifically medical missionaries. They trust diety to help and if they do get sick they may be evacuated, or treated as those they are helping.

LDS missionaries and leaders don't seem to trust The Lord to protect them.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

SuperDell wrote:How about missionaries from other churches? Are they leaving as well or are they staying and ministering to those in need? From past experience I have seen missionaries of many faiths stay in areas to help the sick and afflicted even when they are not specifically medical missionaries. They trust diety to help and if they do get sick they may be evacuated, or treated as those they are helping.

'My momma always said, Religion is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.'
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

SuperDell wrote:How about missionaries from other churches? Are they leaving as well or are they staying and ministering to those in need? From past experience I have seen missionaries of many faiths stay in areas to help the sick and afflicted even when they are not specifically medical missionaries. They trust diety to help and if they do get sick they may be evacuated, or treated as those they are helping.

With the Lord's track record, I can hardly blame them.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Mark 1:40-42 (David Bednar Translation):
Now a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, “If You are willing, You can make me clean.” Then Mormon Jesus, moved with disgust, instead of stretching out His hand and touching and healing him, said to him, “I am scared you will infect me; get away from me, you loathsome creature--you're on your own. If you had been wise, you would have been born at a time and in a place when prescription medications were available.” As soon as He had spoken, Mormon Jesus arose and scurried away from the leper as quickly as possible being careful not to touch him for fear of being infected Himself."
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shortly after my disaffection from the Church I was having a conversation with a Mo about the Power of the PriesthoodTM. He, of course, claimed the priesthood could cure the sick and afflicted.

I asked him, "How many times has a priesthood blessing grew a limb back?"

We went back and forth a bit with him trying to explain that's not how it works, and I was taking the position that faith and miracles don't preclude a limb from growing back. He finally just laughe and said, "C'mon, man."

Last time I checked he was still a faithful type.

C'mon, man.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.