The Church to close missions due to reduction in numbers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: The Church to close missions due to reduction in numbers

Post by _Shulem »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Salt Lake, we have a problem...

I predict the church will continue to experience lack of funds and high operating expenses. The church will be forced to sell off large land holdings in order to generate revenues to maintain the holy business and the temples will continue to cost the church enormous amounts of money just to keep them up and running.

:lol:

***ATTENTION Mormons: HOLD ON TO YOUR MONEY. DO NOT PAY TITHING!***
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Shulem wrote:
a trimming of the number of missions to better fit the needs of each region of the world

Time to trim the excess fat. The church bit off more than it could chew and expected more than what the harvest would yield. The church miscalculated. The church screwed up. The church is forced to reduce its expenses and lop of heads.

I'm tickled pink just knowing that the axeman is going to be killing off missions and consolidating its assets in order to keep the ink in the black.

:lol:

It’s just dawned on me what this explicitly means.

Your photograph comes up on a computer screen, together with key information provided by your bishop and stake president. When your picture appears, we look into your eyes and review your answers to the missionary recommendation questions. For that brief moment, it seems as if you are present and responding to us directly.

As we look at your photograph, we trust that you have cleared in every way the “raised bar” required today to be a faithful, successful missionary. Then, by the power of the Spirit of the Lord and under the direction of President Thomas S. Monson, we assign you to one of the Church’s 406 worldwide missions....

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2015/06/how ... lled?lang=
...that doesn’t need you.

If regions of the world are better served by reducing the number of missions and missionaries then they’ve been sending missionaries to regions of the world where they weren’t needed. These young people and their families have spent significant sums of money, have sacrificed, to enable their youth to serve missions. In return the Church sent them to places where they were not needed.

It means the process for assigning missionaries is the opposite of divinely inspired. It means the decision for reducing the age of missionaries and creating a surge, led to under utilised missionaries, poorer mission experiences, wasted money on MTC’s. It’s hard to see how Monson could have made a worse decision.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I have a question wrote:If regions of the world are better served by reducing the number of missions and missionaries then they’ve been sending missionaries to regions of the world where they weren’t needed.

Right. The church now proves that missionaries which have been sent to certain regions are not needed and are about to be pulled out. They were sent there in vain under the guise of revelations which has been shown to be unreliable. The LDS sales force has been drilling dry holes and is coming up empty.

I have a question wrote:These young people and their families have spent significant sums of money, have sacrificed, to enable their youth to serve missions. In return the Church sent them to places where they were not needed.

It's money down the drain. Missionaries are wasting their time and valuable family resources going out and making fools of themselves in front of the whole world. They were sent out only to be called back and all this under the guise of revelation. What a joke. The whole concept of Mormon revelations is a total joke and is proven time and time again to be nothing but manmade ideas and thoughts. There is nothing divine that runs the LDS church. It's run by men wearing business suits.
_Fiannan
_Emeritus

Post by _Fiannan »

Missionary work depends on people doing missionary position (or some other position) and 20 years later sending off the results to spread the gospel. Less members feeling the urge to have families, and Church leaders terrified of promoting more pro-natalist ideals too loudly, so yes, less babies means less missionaries.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Thanks IHAQ, it looks like the church pressed the "turbo" button and inflated its numbers for the last time. Get as many sheep as you can beneath the razor while there's still a chance.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Gadianton wrote:Thanks IHAQ, it looks like the church pressed the "turbo" button and inflated its numbers for the last time. Get as many sheep as you can beneath the razor while there's still a chance.

When church numbers start to decrease, will polygamy make its return? Missionary less, missionary position more?
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Shulem wrote:
zeezrom wrote:There are some missionaries that live a few doors down from me. I saw them getting into their car the other night and they looked really depressed. I hope they find a way to cheer up. Maybe they could go dancing or hiking. It really is sad to see them so depressed and wearing the clothes of a CEO.

My nephew got back from South Korea a year ago and didn't enjoy his mission. He was depressed pretty much the whole time and there were no baptisms. Nobody will talk to the missionaries.

Did he dust his feet before he left?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Stem wrote:Did he dust his feet before he left?

I don't think missionaries actually practice that ritual. I never did it when serving my mission.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

ACCRA, Ghana — With an increasing need to accommodate the growth of the Church in Africa, a new missionary training center has been built — and now dedicated — in Accra, Ghana, after a special ceremony on Oct. 24.

Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles met with members and dedicated the new facility.

“To see them is a miracle,” Elder David A. Bednar said of the 200 missionaries currently in the Ghana MTC, according to a press release published on Mormon Newsroom. “You have heard these young people pray, and say things and sing in a foreign language they did not know four weeks ago. That is a manifestation of heavenly help. It is a miracle, which is replicated at 15 missionary training centers around the world.”

Located next to the Accra Ghana Temple, the new missionary training center is a response to the growing number of missionaries and members in the area.

“Four years ago this site was a vacant lot. It was covered with trees and a path running through it,” said Elder Terence M. Vinson, General Authority Seventy and president of the Church’s Africa West Area, in the release. “Now it is a ‘spiritual school,’ which is more than a beautiful edifice.”

During the dedicatory prayer, Elder Bednar asked for a blessing upon “those who labor, who study, who live and who serve at this center.”

“We dedicate every part, feature and function of this facility and consecrate them for the sacred purpose of helping to prepare Thy servants to proclaim Thy Beloved Son’s gospel so it will sound in every ear and touch every heart, of every people, in every country,” he said.

The campus consists of four structures — including a five-story residence hall with 80 dormitory rooms — and has the capacity to house up to 320 missionaries at a time.

“Its value does not lie in the bricks, the paneling or the furnishings; the true value is in the hearts of these missionaries who sacrifice much to pass through here,” Elder Vinson said.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... enter.html
Increasing capacity in an already well under used network of MTC’s...where usage is reducing...hmmm...I’m pretty sure the value for someone lies in the bricks, the panelling and the furnishings.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Equality wrote:Church growth relative to world population growth was also the lowest it has ever been, at just a tick above 0.5%. All other things being equal, one would expect the church to grow at the same rate as the world's population. But with over 70,000 missionaries preaching the gospel message, the church grew at a rate barely above baseline. And remember, these are all the church's own numbers, which we have reason to believe are the rosiest possible spin on things. The "growth" reflects only who was dunked and counts everyone who was baptized even those who never set foot in a meetinghouse afterward.

Words from some of Jesus's parables might be applicable here.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Regards,
MG