My Latest Word of Wisdom Experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: My Latest Word of Wisdom Experience

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Herbal teas have always been OK. Any tea other than herbal tea is off limits.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _RockSlider »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Herbal teas have always been OK. Any tea other than herbal tea is off limits.

Yes, but CFR is what the OP is asking for.

It's a folk myth, word of mouth, parent to child teaching that came from WHERE?
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Avoiding "hot drinks" is the only official scriptural rule (which is why I let my coffee cool to "just right" before I drink it). You don't have to look hard for quotes by Brigham Young saying that he didn't drink hot cocoa because of the word of wisdom. Anyone (including the Q15) can crack open their scriptures and see canonized verses that clearly state what is recommend and what isn't and that the word of wisdom is not a commandment.

What bugs me is all of the made-up rationalizations to justify the nonsense in D&C 89. The Q15 and the membership have been doing it since that nonsense revelation was first published.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

RockSlider wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:Herbal teas have always been OK. Any tea other than herbal tea is off limits.

I have relatives with temple recommends and who have done temple missions, who drink green tea with their chinese food. Others who drink postum piping hot. I’ve been on church scout trips where each morning we were served hot chocolate, with the emphasis being on the ”hot” that burned my tongue and my memory.

I doubt herbal teas have been tested for caffeine and no one drinks cola drinks hot.

It all comes down to ”magic thinking” Everything is OK until it’s not.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

SteelHead wrote:In southern Brazil there are chimarrao gourds at the drinking fountains at the ward houses for telele.

What the Hell is "telele?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Sorry I spelled it incorrectly. It is terere . A very strong infusion of yerba mate served cold.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %C3%A9.JPG

All the wards I visited in southern Brazil had a community gourd sitting on the drinking fountain. Seemed rather unsanitary to me. Mate is a natural stimulant, but the church seems fine with it in Brazil
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Just like tithing. The bishop isn't going to debate with anybody about gross vs. net and the definition of "increase." Well, a particular bishop might, but a member can tell that guy where to stick it.

Not so. A buddy of mine baptized his second wife some ten years ago and they were active for a couple of year and then went inactive. They later decided they wanted to get back into Church to be sealed in the temple and the bishop insisted he pay back tithes that he didn't pay for the previous year. Now, they did end up telling him to "stick it" I guess, but they did this by never returning to Church again.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

RockSlider wrote:

In my case, word of mouth, parent to child teaching, from the pulpit, and in temple interviews with my bishop.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _moinmoin »

Kevin Graham wrote:Not so. A buddy of mine baptized his second wife some ten years ago and they were active for a couple of year and then went inactive. They later decided they wanted to get back into Church to be sealed in the temple and the bishop insisted he pay back tithes that he didn't pay for the previous year. Now, they did end up telling him to "stick it" I guess, but they did this by never returning to Church again.

I wonder how prevalent requiring people to pay "back tithing" is? Me, I just ask people to commit to pay a full tithing from this point up to a specified target date.

Harder is getting caught up on child support, if you're behind. I've had men who owe $35,000+, and I don't know how you dig yourself out of that hole, but you have to. As you're paying in arrears, trying to make up ground, you still owe for each month and counting. Maybe take out a loan or something? The only time I would advise paying "back tithing" is if one were in a position to and wanted to be worthy now. But then it's a question of wisdom, running faster than you have strength, etc. It would be better for most people to commit to pay a full tithing and do so up to a target date, in most cases.