Did leaving religion change your ethics?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: Did leaving religion change your ethics?

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Sanctorian wrote:
Mormon God teaches its members the temple ordinances are required for ALL mankind to return to Him. Mormon God baptizes and endows gays, criminals, terrorists, non-tithe payers, etc, but only when they are dead. That creates a bit of a problem when those people can just as easily do it for themselves while they are alive. Why then does Mormon God exclude the living from ordinances that are required and will happen when they die regardless of how they lived their lives simply because they don’t meet the “standard” of Mormon Gods mortal organization?

That’s a big disconnect in the narrative in my opinion.

If there is any validity to the teachings of Christ in regards to the 'uttermost farthing' and that no unclean thing can enter into the kingdom of heaven, it might not seem so unreasonable that folks that are disposed to disbelieve and/or come out in opposition to the Lord...the church...or obedience to the commandments would be put 'on hold' until a later time when they are able to fully repent and/or understand what the ramifications are behind their actions. If they are currently moving in a direction that runs in opposition to the teachings of the church, common sense...at least to me...would dictate that they shouldn't be in the temple.

Regards,
MG
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

i've only offered one opinion here. Seems to be a high correlation between divorce and unhappiness with the Church. I can see that with people I know. People here. I've always wondered about it. It's like an episode from the Office and Toby, divorced man.

Are divorced persons more willing to blame the Church?

Are divorced persons more knowledgeable about the Church's supposed failings?

Are divorced persons more willing to speak out against the Church?

It is a mystery to me.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Yahoo Bot wrote:i've only offered one opinion here. Seems to be a high correlation between divorce and unhappiness with the Church. I can see that with people I know. People here. I've always wondered about it. It's like an episode from the Office and Toby, divorced man.

It is a mystery to me.

Maybe. My experience is that more conservative religions have higher rates of divorce if one person in a marriage changes their beliefs regarding the religion both belong to. It would be natural for the new unbelieving person to hold some negative feelings towards a religion that would certainly play a role in their divorce. Many religious leaders may even suggest divorce to the still believing partner. If you want to suggest a different correlation go ahead.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Yahoo Bot wrote:i've only offered one opinion here. Seems to be a high correlation between divorce and unhappiness with the Church. I can see that with people I know. People here. I've always wondered about it. It's like an episode from the Office and Toby, divorced man.

It is a mystery to me.

I suspect anything you find would be anecdotal. I do think that Dr. Shades is right that the Church's emphasis on being married with the righteous priesthood holder/supportive wife central to this would lead to terrible conditions where people find out that their significant other would choose fidelity to the Church over their relationship. I imagine that would leave someone feeling the negative feels.

But again, what does that have to do with ethics? THAT's the mystery here.

ETA: Is it the happiness = something something angle you equate with moral living?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Sure. It forced me to conduct an ongoing metaethical analysis of not only myself and my interactions with others, but to try and understand the how and why we do what we do. It's brought me to some interesting places philosophically, namely that moral reality, as far as we'll be able to parse it out can never really be divorced from our nature, and the best we can do is approach living as pragmatically as we can while preserving as much individual liberty as is reasonable given our past, present, and future considerations that take into account our physical realities in toto.

This is of course a realization that will never happen which results in absurdity, pessimism, nihilism, and ____ posting on the Internet.

- Doc

Alright, that last bit made me laugh. Well put.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Sure. It forced me to conduct an ongoing metaethical analysis of not only myself and my interactions with others, but to try and understand the how and why we do what we do. It's brought me to some interesting places philosophically, namely that moral reality, as far as we'll be able to parse it out can never really be divorced from our nature, and the best we can do is approach living as pragmatically as we can while preserving as much individual liberty as is reasonable given our past, present, and future considerations that take into account our physical realities in toto.

This is of course a realization that will never happen which results in absurdity, pessimism, nihilism, and ____ posting on the Internet.

- Doc

all right, that last bit made me laugh. Well put.

It's my mission to entertain MDB posters. I'll be here daily with my monkey mask on:

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:
Mormon God teaches its members the temple ordinances are required for ALL mankind to return to Him. Mormon God baptizes and endows gays, criminals, terrorists, non-tithe payers, etc, but only when they are dead. That creates a bit of a problem when those people can just as easily do it for themselves while they are alive. Why then does Mormon God exclude the living from ordinances that are required and will happen when they die regardless of how they lived their lives simply because they don’t meet the “standard” of Mormon Gods mortal organization?

That’s a big disconnect in the narrative in my opinion.

If there is any validity to the teachings of Christ in regards to the 'uttermost farthing' and that no unclean thing can enter into the kingdom of heaven, it might not seem so unreasonable that folks that are disposed to disbelieve and/or come out in opposition to the Lord...the church...or obedience to the commandments would be put 'on hold' until a later time when they are able to fully repent and/or understand what the ramifications are behind their actions. If they are currently moving in a direction that runs in opposition to the teachings of the church, common sense...at least to me...would dictate that they shouldn't be in the temple.

Regards,
MG

That’s a very Mormon answer.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Yahoo Bot wrote:I would like to know rather if the posters on this board are divorced.

While it is politically incorrect to say, and I'm embarrassed to make the argument, it seems there is a high correlation between (1) anonymous posters critical of the Church and (2) divorce.

If I were to speculate, I'd say there is a sub rosa instinct among divorced persons to lash out at other than their own personal moral failings, and whether it be Judaism, the Catholic Church or Mormonism, the big Church is a likely target.

Just sayin.

Are you saying that same sex married couples have less to bitch about the LDS church than, say, hetero divorcees?
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:It's my mission to entertain MDB posters. I'll be here daily with my monkey mask on:

- Doc

Love it. Hands down their pants really tops it off.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Yahoo Bot wrote:If I were to speculate, I'd say there is a sub rosa instinct among divorced persons to lash out at other than their own personal moral failings, and whether it be Judaism, the Catholic Church or Mormonism, the big Church is a likely target.

Good start with a speculative explanation. Would you suspect any additional correlation with the following possibilities?

1. Television watchers?
2. Right-handed people?
3. People who have read Lord of the Rings?
4. People who have eaten corn flakes?
5. People who have ridden in a Ford automobile?
6. People who eat their eggs fried?
7. People who shower?
8. Pedestrians?
9. People who live in the northern hemisphere?
10. People who talk about ethics?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace