Views on death

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Re: Views on death

Post by _Franktalk »

Doctor CamNC4Me,

Franktalk wrote:I believe we are connected to a higher mind while we are living in this mortal world.

What does that mean in practical terms?

We exist as eternal humans. We create worlds in which to experience a limited life. Where our memories are gone and we do as we see fit. No matter how stupid we act it is far better than knowing everything. Our mortal brain is connected to our advanced brain. We exist in a dual state. The mortal body and even our advanced body are useful tools. What we are is the mind.

Franktalk wrote:I believe there is a veil separating us from our memories in order to make this experience a stand alone free for all.

You do realize veils are see-through, right? What does your belief in a mind-veil mean in real, relatable,
understandable terms?

Imagine you are in an accident and you wake up up in a hospital. You have lost your memories. This condition is like the veil. If we knew enough about the body we could repair the memories in an injured brain. Using that same technology we could manufacture a veil and have it selective in any way we desire.

Franktalk wrote:So when we die our mind expands into its higher form and the veil is removed.

What do you mean by "higher form" and who literally removes this veil and how is it done in practical terms?

In our advanced form we have the knowledge to do this ourselves. We require no one to assist us. The only administration comes from choosing a new avatar. There must be some kind of administration in this because only one mind can attach to one mortal mind. Here is a loose view of that process.

"Joseph always told us that we would have to pass by sentinels that are placed between us and our Father and God. Then, of course, we are conducted along from this probation to other probations, or from one dispensation to another, by those who conducted those dispensations."
http://jod.mrm.org/6/63

Some symbolic view of what is going on.

Franktalk wrote:So death is an illusion and should not be feared.

I can assure you death is real.

Death of a body is real. Death of a human mind does not exist.

Franktalk wrote:In our higher form we also have a body but one without the limitations of the mortal framework.

What encompasses the "higher form" and what limitations does our new body have?

Not sure about all of the details but our advanced body does not require food, air to breath, shelter, and the like. The body is sexless. We are all the same.

Franktalk wrote:We all are equal in abilities and have the knowledge of the eternities.

Are you suggesting we become omniscient and what else?

Our minds are eternal, bodies come and go. There is nothing beyond technology. But knowledge of the eternities would appear to us as supernatural.

Franktalk wrote:I do not believe there is a higher supernatural being that looks over mankind.

What do you do when you're in your higher form?

Whatever we wish. One thing to do is to come here and act out a mortal experience. In our advanced self we do not interfere with each others free will expression. Here we step all over each other.

Franktalk wrote:It is only ourselves that has existed for eternity. In time we may decide to come back to the mortal experience and live another life.

Are you suggesting we're like the character Q from Star Trek the Next Generation?

Maybe in abilities but in our advanced state we would never come to a mortal world and interfere with those who are experiencing a mortal experience. Unless of course everyone agreed that the interference would be part of the experience. Much like true messengers who are programmed in to bring messages to the dispensation.

Franktalk wrote:The universe is filled with groups doing the same on various worlds without end.

Who are they, where are they located, and what are they doing right now?

They are everywhere. The universe is filled with humans. But it is a big place. Spaceships are just junk. Worm hole transportation is so much better. Actually Tesla and others were getting too close to some technology so a wrong path to particle physics was pushed upon this world. I am pretty sure this dispensation will be over before we get too advanced.

I have spent the last few years dumping everything I was taught in physics and starting over with Faraday and then the others. There are a few who have done the same thing. The next twenty years should be very interesting.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Maksutov wrote:To the hungry, metaphysical mush looks like food.

I get the feeling they don't care to be scrutinized too much. Then again, I also get the feeling one pile of metaphysics tends to lead to another.

- Doc

It's fun to fantasize but even more satisfying is an understanding effecting movement of cogs and pulleys in the world.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hi FT,

Thanks for responding.

Franktalk wrote:We exist as eternal humans.

But we die. Literally.

We create worlds in which to experience a limited life.

Outside of video games we haven't created any worlds. Are you suggesting this is an electric universe?

Where our memories are gone and we do as we see fit.

That doesn't make any sense.

No matter how stupid we act it is far better than knowing everything.

That is terrible advice. Like. That's some of the worst advice I've seen offered up on this forum. I strongly urge you to reconsider this one.

Our mortal brain is connected to our advanced brain.

Please describe our advanced brain. I only have one and it's pretty average.

We exist in a dual state. The mortal body and even our advanced body are useful tools. What we are is the mind.

You're just saying stuff, and you're not describing it in any meaningful manner.

Imagine you are in an accident and you wake up up in a hospital. You have lost your memories. This condition is like the veil. If we knew enough about the body we could repair the memories in an injured brain. Using that same technology we could manufacture a veil and have it selective in any way we desire.

A VEIL IS SEE-THROUGH. THIS IS A TERRIBLE ANALOGY. Start using amnesia or something. That makes more sense.

In our advanced form we have the knowledge to do this ourselves. We require no one to assist us. The only administration comes from choosing a new avatar. There must be some kind of administration in this because only one mind can attach to one mortal mind. Here is a loose view of that process.

You didn't answer my question, and you're explaining your thoughts in a way that comes across as a teenager's 'i am so deep' fantasy. You're just fantasying right now. You're unable to explain it in a way that is based on sound reasoning, science, or practical human experience.

Death of a body is real. Death of a human mind does not exist.

Our mind, the brain, literally suffers death, decomposition, and eventually total annihilation.

Not sure about all of the details but our advanced body does not require food, air to breath, shelter, and the like. The body is sexless. We are all the same.

So, outside of a fantasy and an assertion you have no idea how any of what you say can possibly exist or function? You're just saying stuff at this point.

Our minds are eternal, bodies come and go. There is nothing beyond technology. But knowledge of the eternities would appear to us as supernatural.

That literally doesn't make any sense. Whatsoever.

Whatever we wish.

Could I give Night Lion a thousand wives just to mess with him?

One thing to do is to come here and act out a mortal experience. In our advanced self we do not interfere with each others free will expression. Here we step all over each other.

So, because we can't step all over each other when we're supernatural, we choose to exist in a natural state where we step all over each other? This is vague and without any sort of sense.

Maybe in abilities but in our advanced state we would never come to a mortal world and interfere with those who are experiencing a mortal experience. Unless of course everyone agreed that the interference would be part of the experience. Much like true messengers who are programmed in to bring messages to the dispensation.

So, basically yes. We're Q, but with rules.

They are everywhere. The universe is filled with humans. But it is a big place. Spaceships are just junk. Worm hole transportation is so much better. Actually Tesla and others were getting too close to some technology so a wrong path to particle physics was pushed upon this world. I am pretty sure this dispensation will be over before we get too advanced.

That's fun.

I have spent the last few years dumping everything I was taught in physics and starting over with Faraday and then the others. There are a few who have done the same thing. The next twenty years should be very interesting.

Well, you certainly got me excited about metaphysics!

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

Doc,

It does not matter what one believes. Whatever reality is, it will unfold just the way it always has. To know the details is so unimportant. What is very important is to embrace the idea that we have the ability to change course anytime we wish. I tossed science to start over with old science. I tossed religion to see reality a different way. Most do not do this. They stay in a rut.

Just how many of us can truly say that they change course every few years?

FT
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Franktalk wrote:Doc,

It does not matter what one believes.

This is the first true thing you've posted on the thread. I think you don't understand why, though.

Whatever reality is, it will unfold just the way it always has.

That is the second true thing you've posted on this thread.

To know the details is so unimportant.

That's debatable, but I think knowing the details keeps us from being bamboozled by purveyors of woo.

What is very important is to embrace the idea that we have the ability to change course anytime we wish.

I'm not sure what that means, but I think it should go on a poster of a guy climbing a mountain

I tossed science to start over with old science.

What does that mean in real, practical terms?

I tossed religion to see reality a different way.

Sure, whatever.

Most do not do this. They stay in a rut.

K. Totes.

Just how many of us can truly say that they change course every few years?

Who cares? Nothing about your process is relatable. It's just fantasizing about a reality you wish exists.
I don't know how else to accept what you're describing because it's just space opera fanfic.

FT

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

My take is that we will be much like we were before we were born....non existent.

No greater wisdom was ever given than these words...eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Franktalk wrote:I believe there is a veil separating us from our memories in order to make this experience a stand alone free for all.

Memories are bits of data stored in physical brain cells. Without those living cells there can be no memory. Or personality.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Franktalk wrote:I will share what I believe happens when this mortal body dies. If others wish to do the same we can ask questions about our various beliefs.

I believe we are connected to a higher mind while we are living in this mortal world. I believe there is a veil separating us from our memories in order to make this experience a stand alone free for all. So when we die our mind expands into its higher form and the veil is removed. So death is an illusion and should not be feared.

In our higher form we also have a body but one without the limitations of the mortal framework. We all are equal in abilities and have the knowledge of the eternities. I do not believe there is a higher supernatural being that looks over mankind. It is only ourselves that has existed for eternity. It time we may decide to come back to the mortal experience and live another life.

The universe is filled with groups doing the same on various worlds without end.

I can see that your concepts of life and death are basic sunday school fare, ranging from a pre-existence but no memories or facts to support such a story. (Warm fuzzy feelings don’t count.) And that death is simply putting aside the physical body and that we continue on and on, forever.

You’ve bought the whole package. I’m supposiing that you have equally nothing to show to support your beliefs as I have nothing to support the exact opposite, that no pre-existence exists and that nothing remains of thoughts, person or spirit, once brain activity ends.

I do, however, have ample evidence that bodies decay and stay dead. I am not aware of any evidence, other than fairytales and vampire movies, that anyone has ever been re-mortalized or made un-dead or resurrected. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

I fully accept that dead people stay dead. I fully accept that the living have memories of those they knew, but that those memories do not constitute proof of an eternal existence. I readily accept the ancient Egyptian idea that saying a person’s name kept that person alive in someone’s imagination. But their idea seemingly only applied to the rich and powerful.

I have lost close family members. I do not seek contact with them through prayer, or seances, magic or wishful thinking. I do not dream of meeting them again or living with them again. I do not think that somehow a magic resurrection will undo the pain of loss that death brings. I try to remind myself daily that this life is all we have, therefore to make the best of it.

When death comes, I will welcome it. It will end my pain but perpetuate some pain for those who survive. That is a fact of life....and death.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Post by _Franktalk »

krose wrote:

Memories are bits of data stored in physical brain cells. Without those living cells there can be no memory. Or personality.

Have you heard of this thing called a computer? It appears you are just focused on current technology. Do you think it is possible that one day science will bridge the gap between organic and solid state devices? Come now, given a few billion years do you actually think your comment will be true?

It is my belief that we are designed for this world. I think that we are able to do much more than this. I think this is the dumbed down model.