Views on death

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Franktalk
_Emeritus

Views on death

Post by _Franktalk »

I will share what I believe happens when this mortal body dies. If others wish to do the same we can ask questions about our various beliefs.

I believe we are connected to a higher mind while we are living in this mortal world. I believe there is a veil separating us from our memories in order to make this experience a stand alone free for all. So when we die our mind expands into its higher form and the veil is removed. So death is an illusion and should not be feared.

In our higher form we also have a body but one without the limitations of the mortal framework. We all are equal in abilities and have the knowledge of the eternities. I do not believe there is a higher supernatural being that looks over mankind. It is only ourselves that has existed for eternity. It time we may decide to come back to the mortal experience and live another life.

The universe is filled with groups doing the same on various worlds without end.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Views on death

Post by _candygal »

I like most of this.

My take is from a basic Mormon perspective...but Mormons would no doubt not like what I believe at this point. It is possible to me that we will remain as spirits...as an entity of matter that sees people as they are on earth...that without waiting for any said resurrection, all infirmities will be healed and we will recognize and have the same love (or not) for each other. I see us as a growing experience where we will remember pre earth...but with mortal experience..take on a depth of intelligence that will increase with our association with each other. Mormon sealings have no claim to who belongs to who and involved in our relationships...there will be no secret signs..names and passwords to a glory or a place...nor is there a grand plan but to achieve a higher experience of an intelligence we may not be even aware of. My only question..and still trying to figure out...is where and if a judgement or a place where those who are unable to grow and communicate..not by beliefs..but by a moral standard that is still evolving and changing..so I remain confused...but no one will keep me from loved ones..no one.
_The Soap Maker
_Emeritus

Post by _The Soap Maker »

I believe it will be just like when you are administered anesthesia for surgery...darkness and nothingness.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

I like Franktalk's concept but think Soap's is more probable.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Death is a blank screen we project our hopes and fears on.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

The Soap Maker wrote:I believe it will be just like when you are administered anesthesia for surgery...darkness and nothingness.

I have had a number of general anaesthetics, and this is a untrue account of what happens. I no more experienced darkness and nothingness than when I fell asleep naturally. I was deeply unconscious, and so I wasn't experiencing anything.

You only know you have lost consciousness when you wake up again. If you are dead, you don't wake up - so you will never be aware of the fact that you died.

Death is not an event in life: so don't let it worry you. Get on with being alive and using that time as well as you can!
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Franktalk wrote:I will share what I believe happens when this mortal body dies. If others wish to do the same we can ask questions about our various beliefs.

I believe we are connected to a higher mind while we are living in this mortal world.

What does that mean in practical terms?

I believe there is a veil separating us from our memories in order to make this experience a stand alone free for all.

You do realize veils are see-through, right? What does your belief in a mind-veil mean in real, relatable,
understandable terms?

So when we die our mind expands into its higher form and the veil is removed.

What do you mean by "higher form" and who literally removes this veil and how is it done in practical terms?

So death is an illusion and should not be feared.

I can assure you death is real.

In our higher form we also have a body but one without the limitations of the mortal framework.

What encompasses the "higher form" and what limitations does our new body have?

We all are equal in abilities and have the knowledge of the eternities.

Are you suggesting we become omniscient and what else?

I do not believe there is a higher supernatural being that looks over mankind.

What do you do when you're in your higher form?

It is only ourselves that has existed for eternity. It time we may decide to come back to the mortal experience and live another life.

Are you suggesting we're like the character Q from Star Trek the Next Generation?

The universe is filled with groups doing the same on various worlds without end.

Who are they, where are they located, and what are they doing right now?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Franktalk wrote:I will share what I believe happens when this mortal body dies. If others wish to do the same we can ask questions about our various beliefs.

I believe we are connected to a higher mind while we are living in this mortal world.

What does that mean in practical terms?

I believe there is a veil separating us from our memories in order to make this experience a stand alone free for all.

You do realize veils are see-through, right? What does your belief in a mind-veil mean in real, relatable,
understandable terms?

So when we die our mind expands into its higher form and the veil is removed.

What do you mean by "higher form" and who literally removes this veil and how is it done in practical terms?

So death is an illusion and should not be feared.

I can assure you death is real.

In our higher form we also have a body but one without the limitations of the mortal framework.

What encompasses the "higher form" and what limitations does our new body have?

We all are equal in abilities and have the knowledge of the eternities.

Are you suggesting we become omniscient and what else?

I do not believe there is a higher supernatural being that looks over mankind.

What do you do when you're in your higher form?

It is only ourselves that has existed for eternity. It time we may decide to come back to the mortal experience and live another life.

Are you suggesting we're like the character Q from Star Trek the Next Generation?

Who are they, where are they located, and what are they doing right now?

- Doc

To the hungry, metaphysical mush looks like food.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

So....I see and understand where others here are coming from...but I am not ready..nor may never be ready to replace hope with what might be the reality. :sad:
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Maksutov wrote:To the hungry, metaphysical mush looks like food.

I get the feeling they don't care to be scrutinized too much. Then again, I also get the feeling one pile of metaphysics tends to lead to another.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.