Cancer Doctors Cite Risks of Drinking Alcohol

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Cancer Doctors Cite Risks of Drinking Alcohol

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

"The American Society of Clinical Oncology, which represents many of the nation’s top cancer doctors, is calling attention to the ties between alcohol and cancer. In a statement published Tuesday in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the group cites evidence that even light drinking can slightly raise a woman’s risk of breast cancer and increase a common type of esophageal cancer. Heavy drinkers face much higher risks of mouth and throat cancer, cancer of the voice box, liver cancer and, to a lesser extent, colorectal cancers, the group cautions."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/well ... cohol.html

Good thing I have never tasted a single beer in my life, and don't plan on doing it anytime soon. Even if the doctors are wrong about the "light drinking" I think our world would have been a better without alcohol. Let's admit the church is probably right about alcohol.

But it is probably the only thing it has right.
_krose
_Emeritus

Re: Cancer Doctors Cite Risks of Drinking Alcohol

Post by _krose »

Interesting that Jesus didn’t get it right.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

DoubtingThomas wrote:"The American Society of Clinical Oncology, which represents many of the nation’s top cancer doctors, is calling attention to the ties between alcohol and cancer. In a statement published Tuesday in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the group cites evidence that even light drinking can slightly raise a woman’s risk of breast cancer and increase a common type of esophageal cancer. Heavy drinkers face much higher risks of mouth and throat cancer, cancer of the voice box, liver cancer and, to a lesser extent, colorectal cancers, the group cautions."

Good thing I have never tasted a single beer in my life, and don't plan on doing it anytime soon. Even if the doctors are wrong about the "light drinking" I think our world would have been a better without alcohol. Let's admit the church is probably right about alcohol.

This is of course a proof that Islam is of God.

I mean, how could Mohammed have known, back there in the seventh century?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

DoubtingThomas wrote:"The American Society of Clinical Oncology, which represents many of the nation’s top cancer doctors, is calling attention to the ties between alcohol and cancer. In a statement published Tuesday in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the group cites evidence that even light drinking can slightly raise a woman’s risk of breast cancer and increase a common type of esophageal cancer. Heavy drinkers face much higher risks of mouth and throat cancer, cancer of the voice box, liver cancer and, to a lesser extent, colorectal cancers, the group cautions."

You know, dude. You literally have the world's aggregated knowledge at your fingertips.

"temperance + movements + 1800s"

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GG ... 80&bih=617

You're welcome.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

We’re all gonna die of something. I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

krose wrote:Interesting that Jesus didn’t get it right.

Right. Neither did Joseph Smith. He was known to stop down at Mosers and drink a beer.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

DoubtingThomas wrote: Let's admit the church is probably right about alcohol.

Wrong.

How Beer Saved the World (2011)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832368/

This show traces the important role that beer has played in human history from the probable origins of the first beer at the dawn of history to the development of a special beer for use in zero gravity space missions.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

It would be an interesting experiment to eliminate from our lives all of the things that can slightly raise the risk of something bad, and then add all of the things that can slightly diminish the risk of something bad.

We might discover (ahem) that many substances that we consume have both deleterious and beneficial effects - good for one thing, bad for another.

"the church is probably right about alcohol" - perhaps like a stopped clock?
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

You were saying? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... umors.html. Beer prevents cancer and ice cream causes cancer http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2016/ ... agent.html
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka