Religious answers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Religious answers

Post by _Maksutov »

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Religious answers

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I actually think this one is kind of easy if one includes faith healing as an improvement over nothing done at all.

Science has throughout history proposed a variety of curative healing methods that have turned out to be worse for the patient than nothing at all, such as bloodletting, the use of calomel to help the sick, how malaria patients were treated (this one actually didn't hurt the patient so much as encouraged the spread of the disease by keeping their bed legs in pot of standing water to keep insects off the bed, allowing the mosquitoes to bite the infected patient and then breed more infected mosquitoes in the water below), we could also look at the use of certain medicines like thalidomide that turned out to be much worse than what they were treating and so on.

So in general I think science gets it right but not always, sometimes the cure has been worse than the disease.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Fence Sitter wrote:I actually think this one is kind of easy if one includes faith healing as an improvement over nothing done at all.

Science has throughout history proposed a variety of curative healing methods that have turned out to be worse for the patient than nothing at all, such as bloodletting, the use of calomel to help the sick, how malaria patients were treated (this one actually didn't hurt the patient so much as encouraged the spread of the disease by keeping their bed legs in pot of standing water to keep insects off the bed, allowing the mosquitoes to bite the infected patient and then breed more infected mosquitoes in the water below), we could also look at the use of certain medicines like thalidomide that turned out to be much worse than what they were treating and so on.

So in general I think science gets it right but not always, sometimes the cure has been worse than the disease.

That's a fact. And some researchers belonged in institutions themselves. I'm thinking of William Sargant and Harry Harlow. And then there's the "research" conducted by Josef Mengele and Shiro Ishii. Fetchface could invoke Robert Jay Lifton on that subject. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

FS's answer I'd sweep under cultural relativism. How do we question a tribe that has has existed in the mountains of South America for 10 thousand years? How much longer does western civilization have left, in contrast?

It would be interesting to examine the beliefs of insects, and how their misguided, brutal impulses play into the survival of the colony.

But once you swallow the pill, there's no turning back. If by best, we mean materially better off, then its a dice roll for progress. If by best, we mean closer to the way the world actually is, it's nearly impossible for religion to win. The assumptions required to even have the argument are loaded in the direction of science.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Ayn Rand's messiah Galt or Christianities messiah.

I believe the religious one is correct, Except for the version of some fanantics.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

They just haven't got around to this one yet:

D&C 88:40-43
40 For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; wisdom receiveth wisdom; ctruth embraceth truth; virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own; justice continueth its course and claimeth its own; judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.
41 He comprehendeth all things, and all things are before him, and all things are round about him; and he is above all things, and in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things; and all things are by him, and of him, even God, forever and ever.
42 And again, verily I say unto you, he hath given a law unto all things, by which they move in their times and their seasons;
43 And their courses are fixed, even the courses of the heavens and the earth, which comprehend the earth and all the planets.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

D&C 88:40
40 ... judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.

There beeth a certaineth poetry to the D&C. Can scienceth sayth the same withouth a lisp?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

moksha wrote:
D&C 88:40
40 ... judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.

There beeth a certaineth poetry to the D&C. Can scienceth sayth the same withouth a lisp?

THUFFERIN THUCKATASH
HEVENTHS TA MURGATROYED
AMEN
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Maksutov wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:I actually think this one is kind of easy if one includes faith healing as an improvement over nothing done at all.

That's a fact. And some researchers belonged in institutions themselves. I'm thinking of William Sargant and Harry Harlow. And then there's the "research" conducted by Josef Mengele and Shiro Ishii. Fetchface could invoke Robert Jay Lifton on that subject. :wink:

True. Science doesn't always get it right, but is self corrects. That is built into the framework. Religion never self corrects. It doubles down and won't budge until forced to.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

As still a believer in God...I can see prayer as the only meaning of hope...and in my own mind, God might have everything to do with those who work with science and the knowledge of it. I do know that God does not cure...medicine science changes can do that..and not afraid to change. My reasoning is that God has nothing to do with the LDS church...but more to do with science than we think. Shoot me!!!! :smile: