Did Tad Callister say this?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Did Tad Callister say this?

Post by _deacon blues »

I'm looking for a speech that I seem to remember Elder Callister giving, where he says something like- if the church isn't true, life would not be worth living. Does anyone recall a talk like this, or did I perhaps imagine this?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Did Tad Callister say this?

Post by _I have a question »

“I can live with some human imperfections, even among prophets of God—that is to be expected in mortal beings. I can live with some alleged scientific findings contrary to the Book of Mormon; time will correct those. And I can live with some seeming historical anomalies; they are minor in the total landscape of truth. But I cannot live without the doctrinal truths and ordinances restored by Joseph Smith, I cannot live without the priesthood of God to bless my family, and I cannot live without knowing my wife and children are sealed to me for eternity. That is the choice we face—a few unanswered questions on one hand versus a host of doctrinal certainties and the power of God on the other.”

Tad R. Callister, Sunday School general president, “What Is the Blueprint of Christ’s Church?” (CES devotional, Jan. 12, 2014),

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/03/when ... e?lang=eng
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Awesome,Thanks.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I have felt a connection with Elder Callister ever since I was part of a group of missionaries that he invited to his home to watch the Rose Bowl, in Glendale California, in the 1970's. As I read his talk it shows the brilliance of his mind. It also reminds me of how immersed in the culture he is. So immersed it seems, that he cannot see that life without his particular viewpoint would still be worth living. Like many others on this board, I see family and friends who share the same view. I'm reluctant to jostle their well-ordered view of reality for the sake of a broader and, I believe more realistic view of life. (though I admit I could be wrong)
Still, I'm mystified that they seemingly trade surety for the joy of the uninhibited search for truth. Their fear seems revealed in the way they constantly put boundaries around lives. Boundaries that not only say, "thou shalt not do this" but that say "thou shalt not consider, nor openly discuss why others have different views."
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hi deacon blues! :smile:
deacon blues wrote:I have felt a connection with Elder Callister ever since I was part of a group of missionaries that he invited to his home to watch the Rose Bowl, in Glendale California, in the 1970's. As I read his talk it shows the brilliance of his mind. It also reminds me of how immersed in the culture he is. So immersed it seems, that he cannot see that life without his particular viewpoint would still be worth living. Like many others on this board, I see family and friends who share the same view. I'm reluctant to jostle their well-ordered view of reality for the sake of a broader and, I believe more realistic view of life. (though I admit I could be wrong)
Still, I'm mystified that they seemingly trade surety for the joy of the uninhibited search for truth. Their fear seems revealed in the way they constantly put boundaries around lives. Boundaries that not only say, "thou shalt not do this" but that say "thou shalt not consider, nor openly discuss why others have different views."

It's not every day - but every now and then I get to read a post like this one. A post that contains so much sincerity combined with beautiful elements of humanity that we all, to at least some degree, can relate to.

Contributions like this one is one of the main reasons I keep spending time here. Good stuff deacon blues. Thanks!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

This is why I chilled out on trying to get my wife to "see the light." In the beginning, as I was wrestling with things, feeling lonely and wanting to confide in someone, I was much too intense about things that she just wasn't ready for. Infantilization, insecurities, maturity levels. Some people really like the church. Even need it. It's walmart mortality. Having to actually be responsible and navigate the moral landscape is hard. It can be scary. I don't want to force her out, nor do I want her to leave for the wrong reasons. Everybody has to find their own way.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

This is a big reason I stopped attending too. For a period I tried the NOM thing, thought I'd change things from the inside. I just don't think it's my place. Not right to ruin things for others, interfere with their journey.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Aw shucks, thanks Ceeboo. :biggrin: in my opinion you're are the second funniest contributor here, and the best complimentarian.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I’m afraid I do not see Callister in the same rosy glow.

But I cannot live without the doctrinal truths and ordinances restored by Joseph Smith, I cannot live without the priesthood of God to bless my family, and I cannot live without knowing my wife and children are sealed to me for eternity.

How would he know?
This is just personal shelf support.

That is the choice we face—a few unanswered questions on one hand versus a host of doctrinal certainties and the power of God on the other.”

Really? Is that really the choice members face? Or is this an insight into the fact that Callister himself has some unanswered questions? When I listen to people bearing testimony, I’m always struck with the impression they are primarily trying to convince themselves.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

I liked his talk about the Book of Mormon best, which you can see here:

https://youtu.be/InVmvWA12qU