Oaks tries to re-raise the missionary bar....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks tries to re-raise the missionary bar....

Post by _cwald »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:The LDS god is more along the lines of Loki than Jesus, in my opinion. ;)

- Doc

Perfect!
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:LOLOL! :lol: That's really funny.

Here is a case in point. My ex-husband was a Returned Missionary. I was a virgin. We both met at BYU and married. After 30 years of marriage, and 3 children later, we divorced. He came out as being gay, and didn't want to work on trying to repair the marriage.

It has been very rough on my teen-aged son. My ex is remarried to his gay lover. I am now engaged to a wonderful man who is not LDS. He is actually Methodist. His grandfather was a Methodist preacher. He is not overtly religious, but if he attends Church, he prefers to go to the church he grew up with.

Since Sunday is one of the few days we both have off work, we kind of guard it as "our day" to spend quality time together, so we rarely attend any church at all.

I feel like this marriage will be much more successful than my first marriage ever was. And, if the Church wasn't so against the gay lifestyle, we would have never married to begin with, and would have found different partners from the "get-go" who were better suited for us. 30 years and 3 children later. I don't regret my kids, but it has been a hard road to travel.

Thank you for sharing. In my case I was the RM. I baptized and married the mother to my children, but we also divorced. I’m not gay, just an a**hole. It took nine years of therapy and many, many sessions of counselling before she took me back. We married again, to each other again. She had never reverted to her maiden name so when we re-married the authorities had to do a double check that I wasn’t marrying my cousin ....or my sister. But I did get to post in the local news: Mother of six marries father of six. All six children assisted at the ceremony. (I thought it was funny......my kids didn’t)

But she displayed very bad taste three years following our marriage by suddenly collapsing and dying. I married 15 years later, following my first wife’s death, to a fantastic woman (non-LDS) who is absolutely marvelous with my grandchildren. (They like her better than me) Officlally, I’m still a RM, just no longer an a**hole. (I think)
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Doc, your first ex and my ex have to be related, somehow. So similar, eerie.

I will sum up my story in a couple of sentences. About 10 years ago I was attending a graduation party for my son. One of my ex BILs was there, a great guy and hadn't seen him for quite a while. Later in the conversation I asked about his sister, my ex, I asked how is she "really" doing? I asked because I knew I would get an honest answer. We had been divorced for 21 years at this time, he said, "Well, let me put this way, if she misses her light bill this month it's still your fault".
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tator wrote:Doc, your first ex and my ex have to be related, somehow. So similar, eerie.

I will sum up my story in a couple of sentences. About 10 years ago I was attending a graduation party for my son. One of my ex BILs was there, a great guy and hadn't seen him for quite a while. Later in the conversation I asked about his sister, my ex, I asked how is she "really" doing? I asked because I knew I would get an honest answer. We had been divorced for 21 years at this time, he said, "Well, let me put this way, if she misses her light bill this month it's still your fault".

Oh, man. I actually laughed out loud.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

I have a question wrote:
PROVO, Utah — Teaching repentance and baptizing converts is the fundamental duty of those involved in missionary work, and other endeavors must not divert attention from it, Elder Dallin H. Oaks admonished Jan. 11.

[SNIP!]

With Oaks sending out clear, strong messages like these about taking away those prospective missionaries that are less than 100% in some way, is going to reduce the numbers of serving missionaries even further.

DU is now in charge of Missionary efforts, so it looks like Oaks punted...

ttps://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tdorf.html

"Elder Uchtdorf will represent the Office of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve in his capacity as chair of the Missionary Executive Council, where he will direct the global operation of all missionary activities of the Church, according to a Church news release."

he is also chair for correlation...

"The Correlation Executive Council reviews and approves all Church materials and products."

Is this designed for DU to be a goat or a hero?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Markk wrote:Is this designed for Dieter Uchtdorf to be a goat or a hero?

Yes.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Markk wrote:Is this designed for Dieter Uchtdorf to be a goat or a hero?

Yes.

LOL
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

bcuzbcuz wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:LOLOL! :lol: That's really funny.

Here is a case in point. My ex-husband was a Returned Missionary. I was a virgin. We both met at BYU and married. After 30 years of marriage, and 3 children later, we divorced. He came out as being gay, and didn't want to work on trying to repair the marriage.

It has been very rough on my teen-aged son. My ex is remarried to his gay lover. I am now engaged to a wonderful man who is not LDS. He is actually Methodist. His grandfather was a Methodist preacher. He is not overtly religious, but if he attends Church, he prefers to go to the church he grew up with.

Since Sunday is one of the few days we both have off work, we kind of guard it as "our day" to spend quality time together, so we rarely attend any church at all.

I feel like this marriage will be much more successful than my first marriage ever was. And, if the Church wasn't so against the gay lifestyle, we would have never married to begin with, and would have found different partners from the "get-go" who were better suited for us. 30 years and 3 children later. I don't regret my kids, but it has been a hard road to travel.

Thank you for sharing. In my case I was the RM. I baptized and married the mother to my children, but we also divorced. I’m not gay, just an a**hole. It took nine years of therapy and many, many sessions of counselling before she took me back. We married again, to each other again. She had never reverted to her maiden name so when we re-married the authorities had to do a double check that I wasn’t marrying my cousin ....or my sister. But I did get to post in the local news: Mother of six marries father of six. All six children assisted at the ceremony. (I thought it was funny......my kids didn’t)

But she displayed very bad taste three years following our marriage by suddenly collapsing and dying. I married 15 years later, following my first wife’s death, to a fantastic woman (non-LDS) who is absolutely marvelous with my grandchildren. (They like her better than me) Officlally, I’m still a RM, just no longer an a**hole. (I think)

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m glad that you found another wonderful wife to rebuild your family with. It definitely sounds like you grew up and are no longer an a**hole, if you indeed were one to begin with. :wink:

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Really there is nothing new in what they are saying. IT is just another sales meeting where they act like they are going in a new direction when there aren't any new directions to find. This is all old hat and we can expect members to react the same way they have in the past.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Fence Sitter wrote:Really there is nothing new in what they are saying. IT is just another sales meeting where they act like they are going in a new direction when there aren't any new directions to find. This is all old hat and we can expect members to react the same way they have in the past.

Putting Uchdorft in charge will at least show a positive "face" to the members on what is going on. The members will be missing him greatly from the First Presidency.