Oaks tries to re-raise the missionary bar....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Oaks tries to re-raise the missionary bar....

Post by _I have a question »

PROVO, Utah — Teaching repentance and baptizing converts is the fundamental duty of those involved in missionary work, and other endeavors must not divert attention from it, Elder Dallin H. Oaks admonished Jan. 11.

Speaking at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in Salt Lake City, Elder Oaks spoke to a group of new missionary training center and visitors’ center directors and their companions, capping a four-day seminar in Provo and Salt Lake City. Earlier addresses from other General Authorities were reported in last week’s Church News edition and on the Church News website.

Elder Oaks, then of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, spoke three days before being set apart as first counselor in the First Presidency.

“We have now completed the extraordinary expenditures of time required to accommodate the large variations in the numbers of missionaries that occurred after the age for missionary service was reduced,” Elder Oaks noted. “We are now able to increase our focus on teaching repentance and baptizing converts. That is the doctrinal purpose of missionary work: teaching repentance and baptizing converts to the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

Helping every missionary become more fully converted to the Lord and assisting priesthood leaders in rescuing the less active are important, Elder Oaks said, but must not detract from the fundamental missionary responsibility as outlined in Matthew 28:19.

Now that’s a significant shift in policy. For the previous five years, Mission Presidents have been exhorted that the conversion of the missionary is the primary role of a mission, and that convert baptisms are a bi-product of that.

“We want to help missionaries focus on their purpose and on more effective use of Preach My Gospel and the Book of Mormon so that more investigators repent and are baptized, more wards are strengthened, and more missionaries return home from their missions deeply converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ,” he said.

So the age reduction didn’t work then, in fact this is an admission that investigator baptisms and missionary self-conversions are a bit of a problem.

Elder Oaks focused on ways to teach repentance and baptize converts such as the invitation to be baptized and working for better-qualified missionaries.

He posed the question of when in the teaching process the invitation to be baptized should be given to an investigator.

“Not too soon, but not too late!” was his response. Further instruction on that subject will be forthcoming, he said.

Regarding having better qualified missionaries, he said there are several ways to seek that objective, some long-term and some short-term.

“The most promising short-term effort is to reduce the significant number of missionaries who are released early,” he said. “By delaying calls for some missionary candidates who might have unusual difficulties serving in their current circumstances, we avoid taxing the effectiveness of their companions and the time of their mission presidents.”
The best way to have better qualified missionaries is to not send those with difficulties...no sh1t Sherlock....

If an insufficiently ready missionary does come to a missionary training center, the above problems can be avoided “by detecting his or her problem as soon as possible and, if he or she is to be released, helping them to return home as early as possible in their service” Elder Oaks added. “It is very important for missionary training center presidents and their companions to understand what we are trying to do in this new effort.”
How come those difficulties are not spotted during the personal inspiration of the Apostle who assigns each individual missionary? How do they slip through that Apostolic net?

Some early releases, such as for injuries or transgressions in the mission field, cannot be reduced significantly by actions taken beforehand, he acknowledged. “But those kinds of early releases are a small proportion of the total.

“Most of the causes for early releases, such as medical and emotional, belated confessions, and the insistence of the missionary, can be avoided if they are identified and worked through before the missionary papers are submitted.”
So the Church has been sending missionaries out to serve who aren’t properly qualified.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... dents.html

From a lack of facilities, to nonsensical projections and a total lack of preparedness, the reduction in age of missionaries has got to be one of the biggest self-inflicted gaffs Church Leadership has ever presided over.

“Your responsibility is not only to teach, but also to save the missionaries who come to your MTCs,” he said.
Wait, what? Apostles are assigning Missionaries who need saving at the MTC?

He admonished the new MTC couples to help the missionaries make the difficult transition from home to the mission field, noting that the difference in age eligibility has caused some transition pains.
You didn’t see that coming and prepare for it? Seriously?

“Don’t let members use you or your missionaries as conduits or authorities to answer doctrinal questions,” he said. “This is not your assignment.”
Way to drive a wedge between the missionaries and the members.

With Oaks sending out clear, strong messages like these about taking away those prospective missionaries that are less than 100% in some way, is going to reduce the numbers of serving missionaries even further.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks tries to re-raise the missionary bar....

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Religion in general and Mormonism specifically are losing the argument. So, Oaks/Nelson better be ready for continued lower convert numbers. Missionaries/Members should be ready to shoulder the blame for this and other leadership mistakes.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Oaks, "The beatings will continue until morale picks up!"
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tator wrote:Oaks, "The beatings will continue until morale picks up!"

Right? So once again it's not their fault, their lack of leadership, and their lack of foresight. Give me a break.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tator wrote:Oaks, "The beatings will continue until morale picks up!"

Right? So once again it's not their fault, their lack of leadership, and their lack of foresight. Give me a break.

- Doc

They're aristocrats, naturally superior. Of course they'll blame the peasants. They are the masters, it's their prerogative. :wink:

The model Mormon is like the horse Boxer in Animal Farm or the Soviet worker Alexsey Stakhanov--all back, no brains. Put your shoulder to the wheel, the thinking has been done. Remember the significance of the beehive...social insect cohesion and homogeneity is the goal.

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

What crap.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Great OP, IHAQ. It illustrates that the biggest issue with the church in general and the missionary program in particular, which is the incongruity of it all:

God called you to be a missionary, but you don't have the physical, mental, and emotional aptitude to successfully do it. But it was really God himself through his authorized personal representatives that called you. But you really shouldn't have submitted the papers in the first place because you really aren't up to it. But every young man is expected to serve. But people like you aren't up to the task and you shouldn't feel bad about serving in different ways. But most importantly remember: when you are on the Lord's errand, you are entitled to the Lord's help.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

“Don’t let members use you or your missionaries as conduits or authorities to answer doctrinal questions,” he said. “This is not your assignment.”
where did that come from??
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

1 Corinthians 13 KJV

. . . . . When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. . . .

Gee, sending out Children and getting childish results, who could have guessed?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Lemmie wrote:
where did that come from??

Lemmie, I think that the poor members are looking for answers. There are none from the 15, after all. The young missionaries are supposed to have answers--they're out there preaching that they do--but they have no meat, only skim milk to offer. It might also be disturbing to the missionaries to realize how ignorant or doubtful the members are. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov