Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Re: Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

Post by _KevinSim »

mcjathan wrote:
KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me...

I just gotta ask, Kevin, who are these two men? I'm not asking for their names. Who are they that they would know about this evidence?

I think they are Evangelical ministers. They're from Mormonism Research Ministry.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

Choyo Chagas wrote:from "the name of the rose":

“So it is, Adso. And there are even richer treasuries. Some time ago, in the cathedral of Cologne, I saw the skull of John the Baptist at the age of twelve.”
“Really?” I exclaimed, amazed. Then, seized by doubt, I added, “But the Baptist was executed at a more advanced age!”
“The other skull must be in another treasury,” William said, with a grave face. I never understood when he was jesting. In my country, when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily, so everyone shares in the joke. But William laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.

That's hilarious!
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses

Yes, there is also good evidence for Lehi in the desert.

That's a relief!
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I have a question wrote:
KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that?

What two men?

KevinSim wrote:Eric Johnson and Bill McKeever, of Mormonism Research Ministry. They invited me to a restaurant in Salt Lake County for lunch, and so I went up there.

What are you going to do when they ask you for money (assuming they didn’t do that at your first meeting)?
https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=th ... ocale.x=US
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I'm currently studying the Documentary Theory/Hypothesis. There is convincing evidence that the first five books of Moses were compiled from oral traditions centuries after the events they describe. There is convincing evidence that they draw from legends and myths of a Mesopotamian culture that had writing before long the Israelites did. I am not aware of any documented archaeology of the Exodus narrative. I've been reading about this for decades (admittedly as an amateur) and I consider Exodus as folklore with little historical reality. If I'm wrong I'd be interested in learning more, but I would approach it with skepticism.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

The in the ground archaeological evidence suggests the Hebrews were Canaanites already in place who separated themselves from their neighbors via religion.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that? Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened? Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted? I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

How did you come in contact with Eric Johnson and Bill McKeever?
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

SteelHead wrote:The in the ground archaeological evidence suggests the Hebrews were Canaanites already in place who separated themselves from their neighbors via religion.

Yes, William Dever is a powerful ally of this thesis in several of his books on biblical archaeology.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

SteelHead wrote:The in the ground archaeological evidence suggests the Hebrews were Canaanites already in place who separated themselves from their neighbors via religion.

Yes, chopping off the top of your one’s dick does seem to make a statement about religious devotion
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Hebrew settlements lack pig bones in the midden heaps.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin