Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

Post by _moksha »

bcuzbcuz wrote:The Ark of the Covenant is in Axum, Ethiopia, where it can be viewed...by no one.

Are you sure? There was a documentary special on this very subject by Steven Spielberg.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

moksha wrote:
bcuzbcuz wrote:The Ark of the Covenant is in Axum, Ethiopia, where it can be viewed...by no one.

Are you sure? There was a documentary special on this very subject by Steven Spielberg.

I am 100% sure that replicas can be viewed.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

bcuzbcuz wrote:In the museum of sacred relics, on these same grounds, the walking staff of Moses can be viewed. This is the actual staff used by Moses as he walked through the desert and the same staff he carried up to Mt Sinai. You probably won’t find any pictures online because of the holy esteem given to this staff, and the other items there. In the viewing chamber can be seen the cooking pot of Abraham, yes, the same Abraham of Book of Abraham fame. Abraham’s porridge pot looks like any modern pot except it is made of stone and has no teflon coating. Joseph’s turban, the turban he used while ruling Egypt, is also on view.

You can also view (although of probable less interest to Mormons) the preserved footprint of the Prophet Mohammed, a letter written by Mohammed and the cloak and breastplate of Mohammed’s daughter.

If you’re around the Mediterranean, you can also stop off in Italy, to view the Holy Shroud of Turin, and the holy foreskin of Jesus from his circumsion (not in Turin, sorry can’t remember where). You can view the skeletal fingers of Doubting Thomas, the same fingers he thrust into Jesus’ wounds at Santa Croce in Gerusalemme in Rome. They also have for viewing, several slivers from the cross of Jesus.

So there you have it. Not only evidence of Moses and Abraham from the Exodus and the Torah, but also proof of Christ.

from "the name of the rose":
Then Nicholas showed us other things, and I could not describe them all, in their number and their rarity. There was, in a case of aquamarine, a nail of the cross. In an ampoule, lying on a cushion of little withered roses, there was a portion of the crown of thorns; and in another box, again on a blanket of dried flowers, a yellowed shred of the tablecloth from the last supper. And then there was the purse of Saint Matthew, of silver links; and in a cylinder, bound by a violet ribbon eaten by time and sealed with gold, a bone from Saint Anne’s arm. I saw, wonder of wonders, under a glass bell, on a red cushion embroidered with pearls, a piece of the manger of Bethlehem, and a hand’s length of the purple tunic of Saint John the Evangelist, two links of the chains that bound the ankles of the apostle Peter in Rome, the skull of Saint Adalbert, the sword of Saint Stephen, a tibia of Saint Margaret, a finger of Saint Vitalis, a rib of Saint Sophia, the chin of Saint Eobanus, the upper part of Saint Chrysostom’s shoulder blade, the engagement ring of Saint Joseph, a tooth of the Baptist, Moses’s rod, a tattered scrap of very fine lace from the Virgin Mary’s wedding dress.
“So it is, Adso. And there are even richer treasuries. Some time ago, in the cathedral of Cologne, I saw the skull of John the Baptist at the age of twelve.”
“Really?” I exclaimed, amazed. Then, seized by doubt, I added, “But the Baptist was executed at a more advanced age!”
“The other skull must be in another treasury,” William said, with a grave face. I never understood when he was jesting. In my country, when you joke you say something and then you laugh very noisily, so everyone shares in the joke. But William laughed only when he said serious things, and remained very serious when he was presumably joking.

especially...
bcuzbcuz wrote:They also have for viewing, several slivers from the cross of Jesus
from slivers and bones, somewhere logs of the cross around the world we could build noah's ark
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that? Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened? Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted? I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

Unsupported claims need to be backed up with actual evidence in order to be moved from the fiction column into the actual space and time reality column.

The ancient world is full of myths and stories that ancient civilizations took as fact. Take the ancient Greek gods for example. That moderns do not pray to Zeus is only do to the fact that Christianity won out over paganism is its market place of ideas.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_mcjathan
_Emeritus

Post by _mcjathan »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me...

I just gotta ask, Kevin, who are these two men? I'm not asking for their names. Who are they that they would know about this evidence?
_Gray Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Gray Ghost »

No, there isn't evidence for its historicity. No evidence that Moses ever existed.

Two quick reasons why it never happened:

[*]The place they supposedly settled was an Egyptian territory at that time
[*]Hebrews are natives to Canaan, not conquerors.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... K_edit.svg
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that?

I take their claim credibly, since they are two men and seem to have made a pretty certain claim. There's no greater witness than by the mouth of two or three.

Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened?

I thought you just said you heard from the mouth of 2 men. What's with this question then? of course there is. TWo men said so.

Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted?

Of course there is. You exist don't you? There can't be any doubt then.

I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

Sure. Consider it so.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Choyo Chagas wrote:... somewhere logs of the cross around the world we could build Noah's ark

Don't forget about the Sphinx of Joseph Smith unearthed in Gilgal, Egypt by Dr. William Hamblin.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

moksha wrote:
Choyo Chagas wrote:... somewhere logs of the cross around the world we could build Noah's ark

Don't forget about the Sphinx of Joseph Smith unearthed in Gilgal, Egypt by Dr. William Hamblin. Dr. Hamblin speculated that the area around it may once have been a garden similar to the one at Adam-ondi-Ahman and may have contained one million artifacts!

Talk about a blip on the space-time continuum.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

I have a question wrote:
KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that?

What two men?

Eric Johnson and Bill McKeever, of Mormonism Research Ministry. They invited me to a restaurant in Salt Lake County for lunch, and so I went up there.

I have a question wrote:
Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened?

Shouldn’t you have asked them that question? If you did, what was their answer?

Yes I should have asked them that question at the restaurant, but they were doing so much talking that it was hard to get a word in. I did send them an e-mail yesterday asking them for the evidence of the historicity of the Exodus. They haven't responded yet. Part of the reason I started this thread was so that once they answered me I could post their responses here and get everyone's reaction.

I have a question wrote:
Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted? I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

Shouldn’t you have asked them those questions? If you did, what was their answer?

I haven't asked them those questions yet. One thing at a time.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.