Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

Post by _KevinSim »

Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that? Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened? Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted? I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Re: Evidence for Historicity of the Exodus Led by Moses

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Have you read The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein , an archaeologist at the University of Tel Aviv. . He claims that the evidence shows that the Exodus and Conquest did not happen.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Finkelstein also wrote a book on David and Solomon. He claims the extent of David and Solomon's kingdoms were exaggerated.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

I think that if there was evidence to support any of this stuff, we would know about it.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that?

I think that if they didn't tell you specifically what that "good evidence" is, we're free to ignore it. Just like we can with every other huckster who wants us to rely on faith but can't pony up the proof.

Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened? Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted?

Not that I'm aware.

Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

Esther is a reworking of Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess of fertility (the same place we get "Easter"). The Jews were living in Babylon at the time, so it makes sense that they would appropriate their hosts' mythologies. For more on this, see:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,397896
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses

Yes, there is also good evidence for Lehi in the desert.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that?

What two men?

Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened?

Shouldn’t you have asked them that question? If you did, what was their answer?

Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted? I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

Shouldn’t you have asked them those questions? If you did, what was their answer?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

KevinSim wrote:Last Thursday I had a conversation with two men who told me there is good evidence for the historicity of the exodus of the Israelites led by Moses, that he actually did come to Egypt where Pharaoh had enslaved them, and delivered them from Pharaoh and led them through the wilderness (for forty years), and took them to Israel. What do posters here think about that? Is there evidence that the events in the Bible's Book of Exodus happened? Furthermore, is there evidence that any of the events in the first eight books of the Bible happened as depicted? I'm aware that there was a time when scholars were skeptical that King David was a historical figure, but that in recent years some archaeology has turned up evidence that he actually did exist. But what about the stories in the Bible before 1 Samuel? Namely, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, and Ruth? Does history, archaeology, or any other science support any of them? Or, for that matter, Esther, Jonah, or Job?

Your friends are correct. There is evidence and it can be viewed at the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, Turkey. The museum there is gorgeous and covers a multitude of buildings, the harems of the sultans, their guards quarters, their bedrooms, and courts. But I digress.

In the museum of sacred relics, on these same grounds, the walking staff of Moses can be viewed. This is the actual staff used by Moses as he walked through the desert and the same staff he carried up to Mt Sinai. You probably won’t find any pictures online because of the holy esteem given to this staff, and the other items there. In the viewing chamber can be seen the cooking pot of Abraham, yes, the same Abraham of Book of Abraham fame. Abraham’s porridge pot looks like any modern pot except it is made of stone and has no teflon coating. Joseph’s turban, the turban he used while ruling Egypt, is also on view.

You can also view (although of probable less interest to Mormons) the preserved footprint of the Prophet Mohammed, a letter written by Mohammed and the cloak and breastplate of Mohammed’s daughter.

If you’re around the Mediterranean, you can also stop off in Italy, to view the Holy Shroud of Turin, and the holy foreskin of Jesus from his circumsion (not in Turin, sorry can’t remember where). You can view the skeletal fingers of Doubting Thomas, the same fingers he thrust into Jesus’ wounds at Santa Croce in Gerusalemme in Rome. They also have for viewing, several slivers from the cross of Jesus.

So there you have it. Not only evidence of Moses and Abraham from the Exodus and the Torah, but also proof of Christ.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Proof?

Just look for the Manna trees and their juicy fruit that go into each bottle of Fizzy Bubblech. Or consider the awesome Ark of the Covenant, which is currently housed in a wooden container in one of the Smithsonian's warehouses.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

moksha wrote:Proof?

Just look for the Manna trees and their juicy fruit that go into each bottle of Fizzy Bubblech. Or consider the awesome Ark of the Covenant, which is currently housed in a wooden container in one of the Smithsonian's warehouses.

The Ark of the Covenant is in Axum, Ethiopia, where it can be viewed...by no one. But you can view a replica of it in any Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo church.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC