Josh and Lolly Weed getting divorced

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Re: Josh and Lolly Weed getting divorced

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

yawn.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The Spirit had spoken clearly, and we knew that we were to publish that blog post.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/765 ... bsite.html

In a priesthood blessing I got before we left, I received a warning and a promise. The warning was that when we did what the Lord was asking of us, we would go through some very hard experiences as a result. The promise was that when we moved forward with sharing our testimonies of the Atonement in this way, our family would be protected through the aftermath, and our story would greatly bless the lives of others. Even with those assurances, we felt like we were taking a step of faith into the darkness. Very few people had been public about this type of situation within their congregations, and there was no guarantee we would be met with kindness as we took that step. We felt alone and isolated, and we felt scared but filled with faith that all would end well.

There has never been a better time to be a gay member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

What a mess he/they have created for their children by following the Church. I hope they manage to figure it out for the benefit of themselves, and I wish them well in trying to achieve a settled positive outcome for those kids. Anybody who is gay needs to get out of the Church as fast as possible and never look back.

I wonder if Deseret News will be as quick to highlight the updated Josh and Lolly Weed story.....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

My response:

I am so very happy for you all, Josh, Lolly, and your girls. You have come to a beautiful place because you put faith, hope, and love into action. You have your deep friendship, you have your children, and you both have depths of understanding that will enrich your life so much.

I was an ardent opponent to gay marriage for years. Because of my unrelenting interest, I kept arguing. Because I believed in the gospel, in love and truth, I tried to carefully remain reasonable and compassionate as I argued. Eventually, this destroyed my homophobia. Josh, I am so glad that you came to a place of loving every part of yourself. Homosexuality is such a beautiful gift to the world. Lolly, I hope to one day be a strong a woman as you, and I wish you strength to continue as the journey changes.

I am so thankful I learned. It came before it was too late. Only after I accepted gay marriage did two of my own kids come out to me. Now, since they’re still at home, I have a chance to repair the damage I inflicted on them. Not too underestimate it, I do think the love and reason I used before I came to my epiphany had an impact that hopefully lessened the damage. I continue to believe that love matters. Reason matters. Even when we cannot know exactly where they lead, I believe they are principles that, when combined, we can depend on quite far.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Equality wrote:To the surprise of absolutely no one, Mormon gay man Josh Weed's very public heterosexual marriage is coming to an end.

Read the very long blog post, in which Josh apologizes profusely for the way his story has been used over the last five years or so to bash Mormon gays who rejected the church's advice to remain in heterosexual marriages:

http://www.joshweed.com/2018/01/turning ... iage/.html

For the record, he did request that people not use his story as a hammer against gays living in gay relationships. I saw the warning and respected it, didn't use it.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Shulem wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:My ex is gay. Ending our marriage was the best thing for both of us. We are both much happier with our current life partners.

ETA—The Church would have preferred we stay together. That’s probably why we stayed together for as long as we did.

I stuck it out for 20 years until my exwife finally realized that she needed to let me go. It was the best thing to ever happen. We both, soon thereafter, left the church and entered new relationships that more suited our tastes. We left the church in the dust and saved a lot of money too! That's the silver lining. It pays to not pay tithing! I love robbing Mormon god. He will never see a red cent from me ever again. I'm so much more blessed because of it!

:lol:

30 years for us. He was the one who made the decision to end it. It was very hard on my son. That is the main thing that I regret.

My son is now doing better, and we are both much happier.

My ex was able to marry his gay lover, and I am engaged to an amazing man who has given me incredible emotional support. He also loves my son, and my son loves him, so everything has worked out well in the end. It has been a very long 2 years in making it that way, though.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:yawn.

Really? I don't believe that you are that callous.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Stem »

Whatever you do don't go over to MD&D and read the posts on this topic there....well unless you want to be angry with how members often talk about and treat those who are gay.
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

I feel sad for them, and I admire the frankness with which they apologise. But it's very hard for those of us who have lost gay family members since 2012 not to feel angry with Josh and Lolly. 'People just choose to be gay,' a member of my family continues to insist, largely thanks to the Weeds. And there's no point in me sharing their announcement with said family member because they are a world champion gaslighter and would deny ever having read it/heard of it in no time at all.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

This is a problem with a one size fits all church. In order to be a real Mormon, one must be a straight, white male who worships authority and the republican party. Real Mormons do not question their leaders and will defend Mormon nonsense to the end no matter how crazy the nonsense position is.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Stem wrote:Whatever you do don't go over to MD&D and read the posts on this topic there....well unless you want to be angry with how members often talk about and treat those who are gay.

Go back 40 years and you’d find members talking in similar fashion about black people. Mormons need someone to hate, it seems.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')