Josh and Lolly Weed getting divorced

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: Josh and Lolly Weed getting divorced

Post by _Water Dog »

Shulem wrote:But, surely, you've had sex with a woman?

Right?

That's your gift to the world, Dog.

My gift to the world? Not following.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Water Dog wrote:
Shulem wrote:But, surely, you've had sex with a woman?

Right?

That's your gift to the world, Dog.

My gift to the world? Not following.

Love is given freely as an expression of appreciation and joy. That's a gift, wouldn't you say?

And no, size doesn't really matter.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Equality wrote:To the surprise of absolutely no one

Absolutely. Divorce is very common because we humans didn't evolve for lifelong marriages, so the idea that a gay man can have a happy lifelong marriage with a woman seems like mission impossible.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Water Dog wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:This is so obvious it feels dumb that I didn't get it before, but don't all these varieties of sexual orientations mean that in any given community, there can be more options for people to find intimate companionship, more ways for loving consensual relationships to develop, to enhance peoples lives and the community as a whole. Goodness, I was blind.

I have no idea what this sappy "hug the world" crap means. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude, but give me a break. In one circumstance it works out, in another it doesn't (hence the OP). I'm sure this couple would rather not feel compelled to divorce. Such a beautiful gift, I'm sure the kids are loving it!

Do you understand that the issue is the Church compelling gay members to be something other than who they are?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Water Dog wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:This is so obvious it feels dumb that I didn't get it before, but don't all these varieties of sexual orientations mean that in any given community, there can be more options for people to find intimate companionship, more ways for loving consensual relationships to develop, to enhance peoples lives and the community as a whole. Goodness, I was blind.

I have no idea what this sappy "hug the world" crap means. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude, but give me a break. In one circumstance it works out, in another it doesn't (hence the OP). I'm sure this couple would rather not feel compelled to divorce. Such a beautiful gift, I'm sure the kids are loving it!

Why is that people who choose to say something rude preface it with “of course I don’t mean to be rude. C’mon, WD, fly your Rude Flag proudly. Just don’t forget to remind folks about how you’re just being anti-PC to get the smugly superior tone jussst riiiiight. :wink:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Water Dog wrote:

It's not sappiness, but an actual increase in the mathematical probabilities for attachment, a biological human tendency enhancing individual and collective well-being.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I think that where the Church fails is that the Church dictates that homosexuality is wrong. Not only that, but the Church encourages members to be "normal" by coupling in heterosexual relationships even though there is no physical attraction in the circumstance.

This is a recipe for disaster. Couples get married, desperately trying to be "normal". They not only get married, but have kids. Now you have innocent children in the middle of all of this.

Case in point, my ex and I would have never married to begin with if my ex had not been attempting to be "normal". I didn't know he was gay until many years later. I actually was somewhat relieved because I thought there was something wrong with me, and that's why he wasn't attracted to me.

The other issue that doesn't help things at all is the Church's stance on premarital sex. If you have the opportunity to live with someone and sleep with someone before the marriage, then you know whether or not there is sexual attraction. If you are both virgins until the wedding night, there are a lot of things you don't know.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:The other issue that doesn't help things at all is the Church's stance on premarital sex. If you have the opportunity to live with someone and sleep with someone before the marriage, then you know whether or not there is sexual attraction. If you are both virgins until the wedding night, there are a lot of things you don't know.

Excellent point!
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I think that where the Church fails is that the Church dictates that homosexuality is wrong. Not only that, but the Church encourages members to be "normal" by coupling in heterosexual relationships even though there is no physical attraction in the circumstance.

This is a recipe for disaster. Couples get married, desperately trying to be "normal". They not only get married, but have kids. Now you have innocent children in the middle of all of this.

Case in point, my ex and I would have never married to begin with if my ex had not been attempting to be "normal". I didn't know he was gay until many years later. I actually was somewhat relieved because I thought there was something wrong with me, and that's why he wasn't attracted to me.

The other issue that doesn't help things at all is the Church's stance on premarital sex. If you have the opportunity to live with someone and sleep with someone before the marriage, then you know whether or not there is sexual attraction. If you are both virgins until the wedding night, there are a lot of things you don't know.

The teaching that "any righteous man and woman" can succeed in marriage is enormously damaging to people, whatever the orientation. Heck, I was stuck dating the same guy for 2 years because I believed it.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:The other issue that doesn't help things at all is the Church's stance on premarital sex. If you have the opportunity to live with someone and sleep with someone before the marriage, then you know whether or not there is sexual attraction. If you are both virgins until the wedding night, there are a lot of things you don't know.

Excellent point!

Hear, hear!