Josh and Lolly Weed getting divorced

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: Josh and Lolly Weed getting divorced

Post by _Water Dog »

I hope my reaction isn't selfish. I feel very bad for them. And I'm glad they have made all this so public, that it may be a learning opportunity for others. Perhaps that is useful. Ultimately though I feel like I just resonate with the experience. I'm somewhat dismayed that they are getting so much attention which is really just due to the "gay" element of the story. This exact same scenario plays out countless times over with "straight" couples and mixed-faith couples. This couple experiences a kind of loneliness and lack of fulfillment, emotional, sexual, whatever. Get in line and take a number, seriously. Isn't this the design of Mormon marriage to begin with? It's a weird combination of superficial, insecure, codependent, fairy tale love combined with sacrificial lambism. However, if I were to take the action that this man is, nobody would cheer me on. The reaction would be very different. And I must also say that I'm a bit underwhelmed because that guy, at the least, went into the situation with his eyes open. He knew he was gay, chose to get married anyway. Cry me a river, dummy, you did this to yourself. I didn't know the church was utter b.s. when I got married, or that my wife wasn't marrying me but some guy wearing a Joseph Smith costume that she got off on. And yet, I'm still hanging on, because I put the kids welfare above my own. And even, strangely, my wife's.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Water Dog wrote:I hope my reaction isn't selfish. I feel very bad for them. And I'm glad they have made all this so public, that it may be a learning opportunity for others. Perhaps that is useful. Ultimately though I feel like I just resonate with the experience. I'm somewhat dismayed that they are getting so much attention which is really just due to the "gay" element of the story. This exact same scenario plays out countless times over with "straight" couples and mixed-faith couples. This couple experiences a kind of loneliness and lack of fulfillment, emotional, sexual, whatever. Get in line and take a number, seriously. Isn't this the design of Mormon marriage to begin with? It's a weird combination of superficial, insecure, codependent, fairy tale love combined with sacrificial lambism. However, if I were to take the action that this man is, nobody would cheer me on. The reaction would be very different. And I must also say that I'm a bit underwhelmed because that guy, at the least, went into the situation with his eyes open. He knew he was gay, chose to get married anyway. Cry me a river, dummy, you did this to yourself. I didn't know the church was utter b.s. when I got married, or that my wife wasn't marrying me but some guy wearing a Joseph Smith costume that she got off on. And yet, I'm still hanging on, because I put the kids welfare above my own. And even, strangely, my wife's.

I think the weeds are making a mutual decision here. It's not him who wants out, but her too. Maybe at some point marriage doesn't work for the kids too. They kids are better off. But what the hell do I know?
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Meadowchik wrote:My response:

I am so very happy for you all, Josh, Lolly, and your girls. You have come to a beautiful place because you put faith, hope, and love into action. You have your deep friendship, you have your children, and you both have depths of understanding that will enrich your life so much.

I was an ardent opponent to gay marriage for years. Because of my unrelenting interest, I kept arguing. Because I believed in the gospel, in love and truth, I tried to carefully remain reasonable and compassionate as I argued. Eventually, this destroyed my homophobia. Josh, I am so glad that you came to a place of loving every part of yourself. Homosexuality is such a beautiful gift to the world. Lolly, I hope to one day be a strong a woman as you, and I wish you strength to continue as the journey changes.

I am so thankful I learned. It came before it was too late. Only after I accepted gay marriage did two of my own kids come out to me. Now, since they’re still at home, I have a chance to repair the damage I inflicted on them. Not too underestimate it, I do think the love and reason I used before I came to my epiphany had an impact that hopefully lessened the damage. I continue to believe that love matters. Reason matters. Even when we cannot know exactly where they lead, I believe they are principles that, when combined, we can depend on quite far.

Love this letter..love this post...you are my hero meadowchik.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Meadowchik wrote:Homosexuality is such a beautiful gift to the world.

How so?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Dr. Shades wrote:

How so?

Is pedophilia also a beautiful gift to the world, I wonder?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Dr. Shades wrote:

How so?

Water Dog wrote:Is pedophilia also a beautiful gift to the world, I wonder?

What...the...hell....

In what way is consensual love between two adults comparable to pedophillia?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I don't know how homosexuality is a gift to the world but it certainly isn't pedophilia no more than heterosexuality is pedophilia (obviously some pedophiles like kids of the opposite sex)
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Dr. Shades wrote:

How so?

I have a question wrote:What...the...hell....

In what way is consensual love between two adults comparable to pedophillia?

that's why water dog scrubs his comment history after certain threads. He keeps getting caught saying stuff like that.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:

How so?

The same way that heterosexuality is a gift to the world. LOVE is beautiful and wonderful when shared and manifested.

Jesus H Christ, Shades -- don't you get that?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

You seem like a homophobic ass to ask or imply such an idiotic thing.

Shameful.