Ungrateful, nosy, Church members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Re: Ungrateful, nosy, Church members

Post by _Mormonicious »

My version of a similar event, one I call the entitled Poor.

My work gives me a new laptop every year. Not wanting the old one back, we are free to dispose of them any way we want after IT scrubs the device.

A neighbor was my Home Teacher for years and we still have a reasonable relationship. So one morning in passing I mentioned that I had a Laptop that I was not using anymore and did he know someone who would want it. He answer yes and that was the last of the conversation.

Cue the Horror music.

About a week later, this couple with two kids in tow show up on my doorstep. Without introductions, they inform me that they are there to get a Laptop.

Believing them to be referred by my neighbor, I decided to go ahead and give them the Laptop.

This is where the event got nasty. Upon getting the Laptop (with any accessories I could find like the charger, mouse, etc.), they began to evaluate the device. Here was the list of problems with the Laptop

1. The operating system was not the current version.
2. There was no Office software
3. The RAM was too small
4. The weight was to heavy
5. There was no computer case
6. The Hard Drive was not at least 1T
7. etc., etc., etc. . . . .

My solution was a simple one, "Here let me see that", SPLASH!, I dropped it into the fountain and pond I have at my front door entrance.

As they stood there mouths gaping, my only remark was, "well now the problems it has won't be a bother to you."

The next time I saw my neighbor, he was all apologetic, saying that this particular family, though both parents are unemployed, believe that it is their right to expect the best when it comes to charity.

Don't know if it was a Mormon thing or just a White Trailer Trash episode.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Do you think that the entitlement attitude has to do with the Law of Consecration?

Of course not. The Law of Consecration is nothing more than an odd footnote in Mormon History, with no relevance whatsoever to modern Mormons.

By the way, did you see my comment a few before this one?

Mormonicious wrote:My work gives me a new laptop every year. Not wanting the old one back, we are free to dispose of them any way we want after IT scrubs the device.

Do you live in Utah? 'Cause I know how to be very grateful.

As they stood there mouths gaping, my only remark was, "well now the problems it has won't be a bother to you."

Now THAT was awesome! Congratulations on your quick thinking, 'cause anything less than that would've been a crime against nature.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Liz was gracious and that is all that matters.

Shift to defensive
Shift to meek
Stand up
Sit down
Shriek, shriek, shriek

Yay Liz!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Dr. Shades wrote:Jesse:

You realize that she didn't need the T.V., didn't want the T.V., and has no use for the T.V. . . that she only used it as a pretext to be able to get into your home, examine the surroundings, and create a one-on-one setting so she could ask you intrusive questions, right?

You know, Shades, I honestly hadn't thought about that. The site I posted on was for all ward members. I honestly hope she can live with herself if someone who is in a truly unfortunate situation could have used the TV more.

I am more than happy to help her husband, who is a truly nice man. How he puts up with her, I'll never know. He was the one who actually THANKED me for the TV.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Dr. Shades wrote:

Now THAT was awesome! Congratulations on your quick thinking, 'cause anything less than that would've been a crime against nature.

Agreed! Great way to resolve the issue.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

moksha wrote:Liz was gracious and that is all that matters.

Shift to defensive
Shift to meek
Stand up
Sit down
Shriek, shriek, shriek

Yay Liz!

Thanks, Moksha. I love how supportive you always are. :biggrin:

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I think the intrusiveness is probably linked to the constant togetherness of Mormon culture. They always travel as a pack and hang out together throughout the week in church activities. So, naturally the barriers come down and the intrusive questions flow. It's like a small town. Combine that with the perfection culture, some become extremely judgey and competition creeps. Further, I think equating contention/disagreement with the devil mollifies a lot of the members too much, creating too many that won't stand up for themselves in these situations, giving these dominant a$$ holes too much power.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Exiled wrote:I think the intrusiveness is probably linked to the constant togetherness of Mormon culture. They always travel as a pack and hang out together throughout the week in church activities. So, naturally the barriers come down and the intrusive questions flow. It's like a small town. Combine that with the perfection culture, some become extremely judgey and competition creeps. Further, I think equating contention/disagreement with the devil mollifies a lot of the members too much, creating too many that won't stand up for themselves in these situations, giving these dominant a$$ holes too much power.

What was crazy in my situation was that this woman and I had very little contact. I literally had not spoken to her in close to 20 years! I had worked with her husband in primary, but had little to nothing to do with her. I didn't even really know her that well.

Post by _I have a question »

As a later-life unmarried but actively dating member, I had an older unrelated ward member enquire as to how my relationship was going. In response I enquired as to how active their sex life was. They looked shocked and said how rude and it was none of my business. ‘Exactly’ I said, and walked away.

You have to be blunt and rude before Mormons understand they’ve crossed a boundary, and even then....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Mormonicious, that was truly awesome.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951