Ungrateful, nosy, Church members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Ungrateful, nosy, Church members

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I'm venting now, so I appreciate you guys listening.

Recently, I bought a new television for my living room. It is slightly larger than my old one. The older TV was in very good shape, but I didn't really have a use for it. It was just taking up space in my spare bedroom.

On Facebook, our ward has a group where Ward members can chat and help each other out. I wrote a post on the group saying that I had a TV that I wasn't using. If anyone needed a TV, they were welcome to come to my house and pick it up.

One of the ladies in our ward responded. This lady was someone who I hadn't really spoken with for close to 20 years, but her husband was a very nice man. He had actually been my son's primary teacher, and had done a tremendous job. I felt like if there was something I could do to help them out, that would be great.

The lady emailed me and asked me what time they could pick up the television. I told them 8 PM. She later emailed me back to say that she had an appointment and wouldn't be able to make it until 8:30. I said that was fine.

Later that day, I had forgotten about them coming. I had developed a migraine and went to bed around 7. When they showed up at 8:30, my Mom answered the door. The lady was very rude to my mother, and had the audacity to make a point that I had told them to be there promptly at 8:30, which was a lie.

Anyway, my Mom reluctantly let them in, and I came downstairs. I apologized for not remembering, and explained that I had a migraine, and was starting a new job in the morning.

This rude woman, who I had not spoken to in close to 20 years, very snidely said, "Well, I didn't know that your parents were LIVING with you."

I didn't really understand what the big deal was, and it was very rude of her to say something like that anyway with my Mom standing right there.

"I said, yes, they are."

She said, "How long are they going to be staying with you?"

I replied, "As long as they want to." LOL

That seemed to shut her up for the moment. Her husband and I went upstairs and got the TV.

When we came back downstairs, she said, "Where is your son?"

I replied, "He is at his Dad's tonight."

"I saw that your son got some kind of priesthood ordination at Church recently."

"That's right, he was ordained a Teacher."

"But his Dad didn't come."

"No, his uncle performed the ordination."

"But his Dad didn't come."

"No."

She waited for me to expand, and when she saw that I refused to fuel her gossip, she noticed my ring and said, "You're getting married. What is the date?"

"We have held off on the date until after my daughter gets married in March. I'm going to be busy playing mother of the bride." LOL

"Where does your other daughter and your son in law live?"

"They live around the corner."

"But they don't go to Church, either."

"Actually, my daughter works on Sundays. She is the youngest supervisor for hospital billing and coding."

"My daughter is a nurse. She works on Sundays, too."

"Yes, I think that most people who work for hospitals have that issue."

They FINALLY made it out the door. I could tell that her husband was mortified with his wife's behavior. HE was he one who actually said thank you for the television.

After they left, my Mom felt so bad that she didn't even want to go to Church on Sunday. I told her that she better not let that bitch have that kind of control over what she did.

OK...that's my vent. Thanks for listening.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Re: Ungrateful, nosy, Church members

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? I would love to hear your stories.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

She didn't thank you for the television??

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

How did she get the television set removed from her sphincter?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Jessie! :smile:

Your story is a supreme example of a human being that has no basic level comprehension of boundaries. in my opinion, her behavior is beyond just rude and nosy - it's extremely intrusive - it's highly arrogant - and, perhaps most importantly in my opinion, it should have been completely unacceptable by you and your family.

Instead of answering her several questions that she was directing at you, you should gave asked her one question yourself - "Would you please remove yourself, immediately, from my property?"

Peace,
Ceeboo
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey Jessie! :smile:

Your story is a supreme example of a human being that has no basic level comprehension of boundaries. in my opinion, her behavior is beyond just rude and nosy - it's extremely intrusive - it's highly arrogant - and, perhaps most importantly in my opinion, it should have been completely unacceptable by you and your family.

Instead of answering her several questions that she was directing at you, you should gave asked her one question yourself - "Would you please remove yourself, immediately, from my property?"

Peace,
Ceeboo

That’s about 7 words too long...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

She's probably one of those who gets up in Fast & Testimony Mtg and talks about how much of a sacrifice Mormonism is in a depressing tone. Those seem to be the most nosy and judgey because if they cannot partake in the outside world, no one can. Man, I am glad I don't have to endure that any more.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Aren't we allowed to punch some people to set them straight and send them a message once in a while? This sounds like a good situation that deserved a nice poke to the middle of the face.
_Chuck Finley
_Emeritus

Post by _Chuck Finley »

I’m impressed you didn’t just go straight to “Yeah, you can leave now” about 45 seconds into this exchange. What a piece of work.
Proud to be the first of the "February Four" expelled from the Ceebooist branch of NeverMormonism.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I think this story illustrates the sense of entitlement Mormonism engenders in some of its members.

They are entitled to what you have, whether it is your time or property.

They feel entitled to pry into your private life.

They feel entitled to judge you.

Why this should be I am not entirely certain.

But as an attorney, I have more than once encountered Mormons who feel entitled to my services just because I am the same religion.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)