The best thing about church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: The best thing about church

Post by _Meadowchik »

moksha wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:Chalk it up to my own ignorance, please! ;)

Not to be overly competitive, but I bet my ignorance is bigger than your ignorance.

I don't know about that ;)
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:When I was married to my ex, I hated the drive to Church. It always took me forever to get the kids and myself ready to go, and we were usually running late. My ex was always seething in the car the whole way to Church. I was normally both exhausted and worried about what his wrath would be like later. Not a very Churchlike mood to be in.

Strangely enough, after the divorce, when it was just my son and I getting ready, there was no worry about my ex’s wrath, so the drive was actually kind of nice. Like you, Meadowchik, we live in an area where there are a lot of pretty churches and cathedrals. I could actually enjoy looking at some of those things. I had no idea that the emotional abuse I was suffering while married to my ex was such a distraction from actually enjoying going places.

Sadly, I was the same type of a**hole as your ex. Back then we had priesthood meeting, then a break, in order to pick up family, then Sunday School, a new break for Sunday dinner, then sacrament meeting in the evening. It was stress times stress times stress. I had multiple opportunities to make life sour for everyone around.

When we left the church my wife said that Sunday was the least restful day in the week. Then we got divorced (just leaving the church didn't mean I went from being an a**hole to a nice guy).

It took years of therapy for me to change. Well, first of all I had to recognise that I was an a**hole, then the change could begin. 9 years later we re-married each other. But we never ever again spent Sundays stressing to church, no matter how nice the drive. I envy that your drive can be spent enjoying the drive. I don't envy the 3 hours of brain numbing blah-blah
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

bcuzbcuz wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:When I was married to my ex, I hated the drive to Church. It always took me forever to get the kids and myself ready to go, and we were usually running late. My ex was always seething in the car the whole way to Church. I was normally both exhausted and worried about what his wrath would be like later. Not a very Churchlike mood to be in.

Strangely enough, after the divorce, when it was just my son and I getting ready, there was no worry about my ex’s wrath, so the drive was actually kind of nice. Like you, Meadowchik, we live in an area where there are a lot of pretty churches and cathedrals. I could actually enjoy looking at some of those things. I had no idea that the emotional abuse I was suffering while married to my ex was such a distraction from actually enjoying going places.

Sadly, I was the same type of a**hole as your ex. Back then we had priesthood meeting, then a break, in order to pick up family, then Sunday School, a new break for Sunday dinner, then sacrament meeting in the evening. It was stress times stress times stress. I had multiple opportunities to make life sour for everyone around.

When we left the church my wife said that Sunday was the least restful day in the week. Then we got divorced (just leaving the church didn't mean I went from being an a**hole to a nice guy).

It took years of therapy for me to change. Well, first of all I had to recognise that I was an a**hole, then the change could begin. 9 years later we re-married each other. But we never ever again spent Sundays stressing to church, no matter how nice the drive. I envy that your drive can be spent enjoying the drive. I don't envy the 3 hours of brain numbing blah-blah

I admire the emotional growth you exhibit in being able to admit when you were wrong, and actually working on improvement. Good for you!!!

Just to clarify, I don't go to Church every Sunday. I only go if my son or my elderly parents need help or support. My son regularly attends his cousin's ward. He just likes that Ward better, and since my brother-in-law is the new Stake President, he has granted the necessary permission for my son to do that.

My elderly parents live with me, and they do attend Church on a regular basis. Once in a while, they will need my help with driving, or introducing them to a specific ward member.

Most of the time, however, I spend Sunday with my fiance. It is one of our rare days of alone time when we are not both working, so we guard that day.

I have to say, as with your experience, it has gone from being the most stressful day of the week to being the most restful day of the week, and one that I actually look forward to.

My Sundays usually entail my fiance and I drinking coffee, talking and catching up on things, several hours of sex, a nap, going out to eat, more napping, etc. Then my son comes over after attending Church with his cousin, and spends the night at my house. All in all, it's a great day. I get to spend it with my 2 favorite men in the world. LOL
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB