Dan Peterson, Right on Cue! Book of Mormon Possibly True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Peterson, Right on Cue! Book of Mormon Possibly True

Post by _moksha »

Simon Southerton wrote:633 Mayans have had their mitochondrial DNA analysed. Not a single one has a Middle Eastern lineage.

What if God had that particular line of mitochondrial DNA taken up to the celestialized city of Enoch, and replaced the translated mDNA with common Siberian mDNA? That way we would not have to claim that God punished the unfaithful Lamanites with the curse of Asiatic DNA. Explaining such a curse to the people in the Asian mission field could be dicey and we would want to avoid that if at all possible. All we need is your signature and we can publish it at Sic et Non thereby making it official.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Maksutov wrote:Wonder what Meldrum's take will be...? :lol:

Rod has waaaay more follower and paying customers than Dan ever or will ever have.

Chapel Mormonism rules.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Simon Southerton wrote:1 had a Western European lineage

Any explanation for that one? I know virtually nothing about genetic this or that outside of what people publish. Any insight would be appreciated!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Any explanation for that one? I know virtually nothing about genetic this or that outside of what people publish. Any insight would be appreciated!

- Doc

When scientists interview the subjects they are studying they would obviously try to eliminate people who have a Western European (Spanish/Portuguese) or African mother in their family tree. I suspect they first eliminate people based on appearance. Then they ask the remaining folk about their recorded family history. Its impossible to eliminate all admixture because its been 500 years since it first started. that's why they typically find a few percent who have a a Western European or African mtDNA lineage.

Recently, scientists have started looking at the whole genome (hundreds of thousands of markers) to pinpoint where the Western European DNA came from. The vast majority comes from Spain and Portugal. I'll see if I can upload an image. This very powerful analysis clearly shows that the 1-2% of admixed DNA in Native Americans is derived from places other than the Middle East.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:
Simon Southerton wrote:633 Mayans have had their mitochondrial DNA analysed. Not a single one has a Middle Eastern lineage.

What if God had that particular line of mitochondrial DNA taken up to the celestialized city of Enoch, and replaced the translated mDNA with common Siberian mDNA? That way we would not have to claim that God punished the unfaithful Lamanites with the curse of Asiatic DNA. Explaining such a curse to the people in the Asian mission field could be dicey and we would want to avoid that if at all possible. All we need is your signature and we can publish it at Sic et Non thereby making it official.

An explanation as compelling as the best apologetics I have read.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

This image from a 2017 paper illustrates where admixed European DNA in Native Americans is most likely to have come from in Europe. What the scientists have done is essentially merged geographical and genome DNA data together and plotted it in a way that reveals where the admixed DNA in Native Americans is most likely to have come from. If you ignore the black/grey dots, you will notice a couple of thousand coloured spots (letters actually) that each represent people from European countries, arranged roughly in accordance with the map over to the right. They then analysed the European DNA in Native Americans and plotted it on the same graph (black and grey dots). Notice how virtually all of their DNA appears over the Iberian Peninsula. Some Argentinian DNA aligns more with Italy (RH graph) which is completely consistent with its colonisation history.

_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Excellent graphic Simon! A picture is worth 1,000,000 words...
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:Excellent graphic Simon! A picture is worth 1,000,000 words...

Hmm, I've never heard it put, "a picture is worth a million words."
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Excellent graphic Simon! A picture is worth 1,000,000 words...

Hmm, I've never heard it put, "a picture is worth a million words."

Over the last few months, words have taken a relative beating in the trading market, with pictures at an all time high. Words are poised for a comeback, and rumor has it that the big players are shorting pictures.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Southerton,

Thanks for taking the time to post that. My formerly Mormon-addled brain still defaults to some sort of weird apologetic default, so when I saw the Western European lineage all of a sudden I started picturing Jews somehow creeping into the equation. How? I have no idea, it doesn't make sense, and I think I just needed to understand the admixture a bit better.

Thanks again.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.